The Waltons aka Advanced Half Marathon Training Thread - 2022 edition (Read 444 times)

Caitlin ugh yeah it's pretty rough for a few days.

Keen huge week again by you. I'm glad I don't work for a big company. I can't stand meetings.

What's the groups opinions on recovery runs.

I've been doing 2 per week linking workout days.

I run them at a very low heart rate under 120bpm.

Are they good for repairing muscles with blood flow through the legs but at a low stress level ? Or are they a waste of  time in the  junky mile category?

They always served me well when I was marathon training allowing me to absorb the training load.

They are a bit of a hit to the ego and I don't see many on others strava.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Marky_Mark_17

Piwi - I have become a big believer in recovery runs over the past 12-18 months.  Especially the day after a tough workout or 25km+ long run, if I do a really easy 30 minutes or so, my legs almost always feel better at the end than they did at the start.  And that's the sign of a good recovery run - you feel better at the end than you did at the start.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

zebano

Caitlin ugh yeah it's pretty rough for a few days.

Keen huge week again by you. I'm glad I don't work for a big company. I can't stand meetings.

What's the groups opinions on recovery runs.

I've been doing 2 per week linking workout days.

I run them at a very low heart rate under 120bpm.

Are they good for repairing muscles with blood flow through the legs but at a low stress level ? Or are they a waste of  time in the  junky mile category?

They always served me well when I was marathon training allowing me to absorb the training load.

They are a bit of a hit to the ego and I don't see many on others strava.

You must not watch my strava this week. They're great.

Caitlinn, best of luck with the covids, I hope it passes quickly.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

ccoakley

Random kiwis question.....the Queen's jubilee celebration has been all over the news here and I think I've heard you guys reference queen's birthday as a holiday.  When there's a new monarch presumably they'll have a different birthday right? So the holiday would change months?  I can't even imagine how weird it would be if our 4th of July was all of a sudden in Nov.

5k 24:53 (2020) |10k 52:24 (2021) |HM 1:57:14 (2019) |FM 4:24 (2007) |50k 5:57 (2022)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Piwi - Thanks! The company I work for now isn't *that* big. Maybe 330-something, all in the US. My previous employer was 10's of thousands worldwide. I like this better.

I really like the recovery runs, myself. Nice and easy. That's actually why I eliminated my "rest day". I figured out that on my Monday runs (frequently a workout) I felt better when I took a super-easy short (30-35 minutes) run on Sunday after a Saturday LR than when I had that day entirely off.

Caitlin - Best of luck recovering quickly.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Caitlin - I hope it doesn’t last too long. For me there were 2-3 pretty rough days then fatigue for a week or 2.

Our Queen’s Birthday weekend is this weekend but I know in Australia it is next weekend. It’s symbolic rather than on the actual birthday. The way things are going, when we get a King we’ll probably keep the public holiday but it will be Kiwi-centric. Perhaps we can have a Richie McCaw or Willie Apiata holiday

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Cheers guys I guess I'm experienced enough to now how important recovery runs are for me but always good to get others opinions.

Caitlin good point  hadn't thought about that but I believe that Queens birthday isn't actually her birthday

It's April 26th. So when she dies it won't change.

It's a changing world however and we have a new public holiday in a couple of weeks to celebrate a Maori event called Matariki. I'm all for holidays and not so much for work so I'm happy 

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Having to go to in office all hands is super annoying.

Been there done that. So much corporate mumbo jumbo, self patting on the back and stupid "team building" activities

Piwi - Thanks! The company I work for now isn't *that* big. Maybe 330-something, all in the US. My previous employer was 10's of thousands worldwide. I like this better.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Marky_Mark_17

Having to go to in office all hands is super annoying.

Been there done that. So much corporate mumbo jumbo, self patting on the back and stupid "team building" activities

Honestly I’ve been back in the office 3 days a week and I’m kinda enjoying it. I like working at home but it’s fun to be able to have some random banter with colleagues and it’s much faster getting things done sometimes. I work for a big firm but my team is only 15 or 16 which makes a difference.

Stevewe do already have Waitangi Day and now we have Matariki as well. They do a terrible job of spacing out the public holidays though because there’s still nothing between June and late October though lol.

Flavio - I’ll try to stop bolstering the marathon thread’s page count. Sorry.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Mark - Yeah but if it happens under the current govt who loathe anything related to our colonial past, it will be a ‘kiwi’ centric holiday aimed at a small proportion of kiwis.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Honestly I’ve been back in the office 3 days a week and I’m kinda enjoying it. I like working at home but it’s fun to be able to have some random banter with colleagues and it’s much faster getting things done sometimes. I work for a big firm but my team is only 15 or 16 which makes a difference.

Though I'm also not a fan of going to the office, I was referring to those corporate events, called "all hands" in the US where they get all employees in the same room and the presenters show tons of corporate slides about how things are going great, lots of upward trending charts and then sometimes there's some "team building" activities which involve writing silly stuff in post it notes, or little dances and the like.

Serious question: Do you guys become robots and stop bantering cause you're not physically close?

Just to be clear, I'm not opposed to people working in offices.

I'm opposed to companies mandating everybody go to the office because the leadership can't grasp the concept of remote work.

That said, I understand not everybody is a software developer and some other areas can work differently. Developers have been working with distributed teams for over 20 years and it was incredibly silly to have the developer go into the office when their team was spread across the world.

Also, I'm incredibly thankful that we do have remote work these days (been doing it for 10 years now) as it enables my jet setting life.

ccoakley

Flavio, ughh team building is the worst!  Watching this return to office experiment is fascinating to me and a lot of companies seem to be making some huge mistakes.  My office requires us back 1 day/week starting in July.  We were told 2 months ago that there would be 0 exceptions for any reason.  Then when I asked my boss which date she preferred in my resignation letter all of a sudden we're in negotiations over a full time remote policy.  And they seem oblivious to the issues they're creating where a select few dozen are going to get this special treatment.  If the US economy goes south in the next year, this is going to be why.  Mass upheaval in the 'knowledge worker' job market

5k 24:53 (2020) |10k 52:24 (2021) |HM 1:57:14 (2019) |FM 4:24 (2007) |50k 5:57 (2022)

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

.  My office requires us back 1 day/week starting in July.  We were told 2 months ago that there would be 0 exceptions for any reason.  Then when I asked my boss which date she preferred in my resignation letter all of a sudden we're in negotiations over a full time remote policy.   

😂👏 That was awesome!

Are you feeling better?

ccoakley

Are you feeling better?

If I don't stand I feel normal.  Otherwise I have maybe 10 min before I get light headed.  I'm very thankful that I'm feeling this much better but now the boredom of bedrest is setting in.

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Back to Office - I miss the face to face social interactions with my coworkers; the impromptu discussions.  I've been in touch with most of them over the past two years, but it is more work to stay in touch.  On the other hand, my commute by foot and train is 75 minutes each way on a good day.  Starting next week, I'll likely be in the office 1 day per week.  For me, that's a decent balance of being able to see people vs. the pain of the commute.

I ran 10 miles today and at a pretty decent rate while keeping the effort easy.  It was my first double-digit run since the half 4 weeks ago.  If all goes well tomorrow, I'll have my first 40-mile week since late April.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
                                10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: RunAPalooza (Asbury Park) HM, 4/6; Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27