The Waltons aka Advanced Half Marathon Training Thread - 2022 edition (Read 444 times)

Marky_Mark_17

It's been a quiet few mileage weeks for me, due to being under the weather and also over the weather. To go outside a couple of days last week was to take your life into your hands. We had gale-force winds which closed the ferries, trains, and aeroplanes. We couldn't have escaped if we wanted to! Although it sounds like Hawai'ian and Californian surfers benefited from our stormy conditions (as Longboat has already mentioned).

(obligatory Walton's Thread weather whinge over)

Briefly saw Watson at our regional XC champs the other weekend. It was a lot drier than last year, and this helped me knock almost 6 mins off my time (I'm a lot more running fit this year as well, though).

So, that REALLY bad day a week or so ago (you know, the one with sustained gale force winds and the airport closing for almost the whole day and boats getting smashed up on the shore etc etc, the one where you didn't even go running), a certain Green Party MP tweeted that she'd still ridden to work with her toddler on her bike but had "a few dicey moments".

A lot of people on Twitter said, maybe this was not such a great idea.

Her response was that obviously these people were bike haters that did not want us to have safe bike lanes.  Kind of missing the point that not even a separated bike line can stop you from getting blown over by 120km/h winds.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Marky_Mark_17

Fred - nope, don't get that at all.  If I want an easy one I'll always pick a flatter route (and believe me there are no shortage of hills in Auckland, most places you actually have to try quite hard to avoid hills).

Darkwave - I approve of your weather complaining.  And note that it is obviously worse here in New Zealand, of course.

Hashiritai - well done on the forum catch-up with Watson... I think the second this year?  I caught up with Steve in Wanaka.  Hopefully I will catch you both when I come down for NZ Road Champs in Sept.  Piwi and Darkwave are both big fans of the Takumi Sen.

Keen - I never have a problem with sweat tbh... mostly it's just making sure I can actually read my hand in the dark since I'm often running early!  That is an awesome deal on the Speed 2's as well.  Really loving those shoes.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

watsonc123

Fred - nice week.

Darkwave - nice week.

Mark - big week.

Keen - even bigger week! Even if you consider it "low".

Hash - I checked the 2021 results, and noticed you were 6 minutes quicker!  Is Resnick a Wgtn Harriers intra-club race?

Re icing - I've done that a lot for Plantar Fasciitis, which has been very helpful. I also regularly massage gun my calves
        which also helps the PF.

I've finished reading Running Rewired by Jay Dicharry. The self-assessment tests were interesting, no surprise that I have tight hips  (especially right), but was a surprise is my lack of right big toe mobility. I'm doing the correction work he suggests, after a week of hip stretching, my hips are better (still a way to go).

I'm hoping this corrective exercises will also reduce PF and calf soreness. Here's hoping. I'm also doing his "precision" workout which are a mobility/strength based workouts. I'll avoid the "strength" workouts to post September marathon.

My week was very light, as planned. This week will be a bit bigger.

Weekly for period: From: 18/07/2022 To 24/07/2022

Date Name mi km Duration Avg/mi Avg/km Elevation Gain
        in m
        20/07 Evening Run 3.24 5.21 00:29:00 08:57 05:34 9
        22/07 Afternoon Run 3.26 5.25 00:27:09 08:20 05:10 11
        23/07 Afternoon Run - Trentham Harriers Run, Tip Track 6.72 10.82 01:06:38 09:55 06:10 205
        24/07 Football Refereeing- 1st Half 1.60 2.57 00:19:35 12:14 07:37 0
        24/07 Football Refereeing - 2nd Half 1.58 2.54 00:20:53 13:13 08:13 0

Total distance: 26.39km

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Mark - me and piwi had a run in Prebbleton back in February too. 

And a Green Party MP lacking common sense??? Who would have thought it.

Hash - Some of the stormy weather lately has been insane. Down here it’s mostly just been excessive rain and snow slightly inland, but up where you are has had some pretty dangerous conditions. Christchurch has passed the record for the wettest July on record this morning, although I’m sure it’s still miles away from the Auckland and Wellington records.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Steve - I'm a bit envious of your rain.  We've had a long dry spell (even for summer) and are now under voluntary water restrictions.

Watson - I can understand icing for PF as that's not a muscle issue necessarily.

Mark - Yeah, somehow I think she missed the point about biking in a storm.  As to routes, maybe I take the hillier route because it has no straight stretches of more than 2/3 of a mile and thus I never feel like it's as long as it is.

Keen - Nice score on the shoes!  Good news on the breathing problems going away.

XC - Have any of you cross-country fans here read Running to the Edge by Matthew Futterman?  It's about the great story of how Bob Larsen went against common wisdom to find a better way to train for distance running and how he got a group of runners to buy into it.  An interesting and inspirational read.

I went to the track today for 3 x 1,600m with 600m recoveries.  Two weeks ago, I ran 1,200s at a pace of 1:54/400m and hit the target on all four of them, but two weeks ago it was 66º(19C) and dry.  Today it was much better than yesterday, but still 72º(22C), so I scaled my target back to 1:56/200, or 7:44 per 1,600.  I ran 7:44, 7:49, and 7:45.  I was feeling kind of low after the second one, both for being slow and thanks to too many other things on my mind.  Happily, I resisted the urge to go home and ran the 3rd 1,600 close to target time (and kept my mind clear of the non-running worries that were weighing on me).  Feeling better now even though some of the things bringing me down are still there.  7.1 miles for the day.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
            10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: RunAPalooza (Asbury Park) HM, 4/6; Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27

JamesD

JamesD

Do those of you who lift weights (or hang around people who do) know anything about creatine?  My 19-year-old son has been lifting almost every day during the summer and has started taking small amounts.  I've had a blurry image of it as slightly sketchy dating from 25+ years ago when a baseball player who was actually using illegal steroids put some legal creatine in his locker so journalists would think that was why he was hitting all those home runs.  From what I can find online, the kind my son is using looks to be reasonably harmless, and he's usually pretty careful, but I still wonder.

Post-1987 PRs:  Half 1:30:14 (2019); 10K 39:35 (2019); 5K 19:12 (2017); Mile 5:37.3 (2020)

'24 Goals: consistency, age-graded PRs, half < 1:32

Hi guys sorry been absent last couple of weeks. Motivation is low and back to fitness running although have run about 60km per week those 2 weeks.

Fred nice final interval. It must be so tough in that heat.

The ice heat thing seems to go in roundabouts over the years like static stretching etc. I only ice if something is quite sore.

James yes my 16 year old son is a gym junkie and recently got creatine. It's seems harmless enough and beneficial for lifting and building muscle. I do upper body weights at home but go to the gym with him once a month just to encourage him etc. It's been a good hobby for him and made him much happier.

Mark nice big weeks for you. I Program workouts into my garmin 235. Once they are in there it's very simple and gives me all the splits automatically. I don't go to the track though so probably easier at the track just to hit the split button.

Hash happy birthday. I have Takumi Sens 5 which are very minimal. I think version 7 was not highly regarded but 8 is  Darkwave will know.

Steve good to see your marathon cycle in full swing.

Your workouts are great.

Everyone else keep up the good work.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Marky_Mark_17

James - creatine is very widely used and safe.  Mostly it just helps muscle growth.  Outside of protein shakes, it is probably the most popular supplement there is for weight lifters.

Piwi - good to see you back!  60km/week is not bad just for fitness running.  I've had some big weeks but quite happy this one is a recovery week.

Steve - hopefully not too much flooding near you!

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

piwi - Good to see you back - your training has been so great, do you need a race on the horizon?

Fred - Hmm, I'm lucky where I live that, my street at least, has a very low chance of flooding because of houses raised from the road but many many people across town are definitely not enjoying the rain as it floods out their houses.

Mark - I'm dog sitting while I work from home due to my cold this week, and found myself having to double back several times with her to get home yesterday with streets and footpaths under a foot of water.  We also got a "no flushing alert" last night about 9pm which has now ended.  No houses in my area will be flooded though, I feel for people close to the rivers.  My usual bike path (where I ran with piwi) was flooded in places last week after that burst of rain, and that was 2-3 days afterwards so there's no chance I can run down there today - the whole road is probably under water.  My only option is up the motorway which is okay but with strong, cold winds I'll have to face them on the way back.  Usually when there's strong wind and I'll have to face them head on for half of an out and back, I'll deal with the headwind first.

2024 Races:

Hash forget my comment on Takumi Sens 7. It might have been the 8 which was a bit of a change from traditional Takumi Sens with a much higher stack. Either way both models get good reviews

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

watsonc123

The ice heat thing seems to go in roundabouts over the years like static stretching etc. I only ice if something is quite sore.

Yeah, the ice thing is going on for ages.  And so is static stretching.

One of the problems is that they end up being almost a dichotomy which completely misses more nuanced questions about when to ice or static stretch, how to do so, frequency etc.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

Hi Frederick - good to virtually meet you here! What’s your strava link, so I can support your runs?

piwi - Seeing you run pretty fast had me believing you had been running a lot in the past 12 months. What happened are you and family ok?

all - great work last week and thanks for the nice words from everyone!

me - I had a 57km week with 6 hours on my feet. All pain has vanished and I have started to strengthen lower back. Feeling great but am on vacation now ie my calorie intake exceeds what I can burn. Bought a pair of Hoka Mach 4 on sale at running warehouse for 98 bucks including tax. Everything is much more expensive these days so this is a steal I hear.

anyways slowly getting back at it. My aim is to run injury free around 50-60k per week and maybe enter a half in September or October, just to finish one and get that done in maybe 105-110 minutes. Working with Daniels instead of Hansons but will see if I can handle those workouts in the end.

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Steve - Sorry to hear about the flooding.  I was unaware of how dire the situation was when I made my quip about wanting your rain here.  NZ weather doesn't come up often here in NJ.  I hope everyone there gets through it safely.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
                            10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: RunAPalooza (Asbury Park) HM, 4/6; Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Fred - I didn't mean to imply I was offended, just putting it in context.  I'm very happy to be in a part of town which, while the roads were flooded, is designed in a way so that it would take a tsunami to flood the houses.  I don't think I'm tempting fate with that, the coast is a good 15-20km away.  It blows my mind where they are building some of the new subdivisions, on land which is under 3 feet of water after this month.  Sure it was a record month for rainfall, but still.

Edit:  Just saw a story about the residents of one suburb which was hit the hardest complaining to the local council about drainage solutions they've been promising for years.  On the day of the flood that same council approved 20 million to be spent on yet another cycleway.  So a lot of it is self-inflicted.

2024 Races:

Marky_Mark_17

Edit:  Just saw a story about the residents of one suburb which was hit the hardest complaining to the local council about drainage solutions they've been promising for years.  On the day of the flood that same council approved 20 million to be spent on yet another cycleway.  So a lot of it is self-inflicted.

Don't get me started on wasting money on cycleways.  I live just off Upper Harbour Drive which has been a very popular cycle route for 5+ years now since they marked bike lanes on either side of road and made everyone park off-street.  It has worked very well and generally everyone shares the road happily.

A few months ago, Auckland Transport (without asking cyclists or residents) spent $1.7m on our road putting concrete barriers in place to separate the cycle lanes from the road (in doing so, they have made both the road AND the cycle lane untenably narrow because it seems they actually measured the whole thing wrong).  Since then, there have been 3 cases of cyclist vs. barrier, resulting in broken bones, and at least 3 car vs. barrier incidents per week (generally resulting in burst tires).  So probably 30+ accidents in 4 months, vs. 1 minor injury to a cyclist in the 5 years prior.  Which is ironic considering they claimed that it is all part of a campaign to make the roads safer.

The stupidest thing is that if they had bothered to ask, any cyclist or local would've told them it was a terrible idea and it was fine as is.  Even my running coach, who suffered a very serious injury after being hit by a car on her bike a year ago, discourages her triathletes from cycling around here now (as do several other triathlon/cycling coaches).  It's just comedic how out of touch with reality local government are sometimes.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"