The Waltons aka Advanced Half Marathon Training Thread - 2022 edition (Read 444 times)

zebano

Darkwave I read your RR. You have a great outlook on running but it just made me sad. I really hope you find a way past the neurological disorder.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

Kia ora, all!

Been a bit AWOL lately, what with the busyness of life, school holidays, and being forced into planning for my wedding in November (apparently a house and numerous kids aren't enough for the woman of today!) Smile

I have been following both threads, though. Think I need to put the Wurst Half and the Crest Best on my bucket list - for the names alone!

My wife (well, not officially, but soon-to-be, unless she finally gets fed up with my cheekiness) finds it fascinating that I'll follow the progress throughout the night of some 'internet strangers' running a marathon, but don't care in the slightest about elite runners and their results.

Christchurch marathon has been mentioned quite a bit recently, it seems. Might have to give that one a go next April!

50+ age-group PBs:  Half Perish 1:24:24 (June '23 Road Race) - 10km 37:52 (2022 Local Road Champs) - Track 5km 18:49 (Aug '22) - Perish Run 3:17:42

2024 Goals: Boston Perish Run Sub 3:15 - Road/Track 10km Sub 37:30 - 5km Sub 18:20

Marky_Mark_17

My wife (well, not officially, but soon-to-be, unless she finally gets fed up with my cheekiness) finds it fascinating that I'll follow the progress throughout the night of some 'internet strangers' running a marathon, but don't care in the slightest about elite runners and their results.

Haha it's true.  I kinda follow the elites but honestly it's way more interesting and fun supporting the folks on here.  Seeing Steve and Flavio hitting PBs after multiple years of trying was a lot more exciting / rewarding than Kipchoge's latest marathon WR (although that was cool too).

Also Piwi, bugger to hear about your injury, hope it comes right soon.  Weird that it happened on low mileage too.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Mark - Yep, same.  During those years of misses for me, I got to see you knocking off a PB in almost every race.  And I know when Keen gets the marathon performance he deserves, there's going to be some big celebrations in here.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Marky_Mark_17

Steve - In what is surely a good omen, Southern Lakes just announced they're opening registrations for 2023 on Saturday.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Very good signs.  I'd still be checking with them about the chances of a traffic mishap before paying for flights, accommodation etc.  I guess they'll sell out as quick as usual now it's a slightly more normal year.

2024 Races:

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Piwi - What's this talk of high blood pressure, are you getting old or something 😂

Seriously though, white coat syndrome is very real, lots of people have higher blood pressure readings when taken by other people due to the stress of the situation.

I had a sort of "flare up" of blood pressure last year and it was largely due to stress related to training for my marathon. I was putting an enormous pressure on myself and when my cervical/sternocleidomastoid injury started I was freaking out, literally.

I had 3 readings of high blood pressure in 3 different places over 40 days and went to a doctor. He immediately prescribed me me high blood pressure medication and I scheduled that exam where they attach a blood pressure reader to your arm for 24 hours. Those few days before the exam were a very low point for me, since pretty much every one else in my family has high blood pressure. The exam, however, had perfectly normal readings (you stop medication a few days earlier so it won't impact the exam). I have been monitoring it from time to time now and it's normal except for a couple readings in the last 12 months. I've also learned that if you place the reader on the upper biceps it won't read as well, it has to be placed on the lower biceps, closer to where your veins are.

I've stopped consuming cold cuts as they contain too much sodium.

It seems your readings at home are much closer to normal though, so you might be fine.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Thanks Flavio. I seem to be mostly at 128/80 now on my morning afternoon readings. Keen sent me some good info and a podcast link on blood pressure. It seems there's alot they still don't know.

I can worry about things like work issues etc which I'm sure send my BP up.

Apparently over 50% of Americans have high blood pressure.

Darkwave yes Pubis Symphsis is the spot. How long did it take to clear for you?

Anyway I found I can surf ok and bike.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Piwi - uh oh google tells me the pubic symphsis is important for vaginal child birth, I guess no more of that for you 😂

If you're taking normal blood pressure readings then it was a one off.

Also, please forward to me Keens material about blood pressure

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

JamesD

JamesD

If any of you have Apple Watches, I could use some help.  DW has started running once a week with some exercising friends from the Y, and she's going to accompany a heavyset new runner doing her first 5K on Oct. 22.  She would like to set up her Apple Watch so it beeps after 5 minutes for them to stop running & walk and then after 1 more minute for them to start running again, then after 5 more for them to walk again, etc.  Even though she's the spouse with the Apple Watch and I'm the one who rarely even uses his flip phone, I'm the running spouse, so she has asked me for help.

There must be a simple way to do this.  The alarm app doesn't seem suited for it.  The timer app seems better, but from the online instructions I can't figure out how to set it up right.  The best way I can think of would be to start a five-minute timer and a six-minute timer when the race starts, and at the five-minute mark delete the first timer and start another six-minute timer, then repeat each timer when it buzzes.  It would be easier if she could set up this sequence before the start of the race and then have the whole thing start when she presses it once at the start.  It also would be useful to have the timers sound rather than buzz (ideally with different sounds for the "start walking" and "start running" timers) when they finish.  We would appreciate any suggestions.

Post-1987 PRs:  Half 1:30:14 (2019); 10K 39:35 (2019); 5K 19:12 (2017); Mile 5:37.3 (2020)

'24 Goals: consistency, age-graded PRs, half < 1:32

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

I'm dealing with some feelings I don't recall having had before.  I've had post-race blues, but this is something different.  Some of my race last Sunday went so well that I was feeling very good, almost euphoric, at times even when struggling to keep the pace.  The couple of runs I've done since then (5 miles yesterday, 4 today) seem kind of dull and unfulfilling in comparison.  Has anyone else felt this?  I'm hoping it just goes away with time, but for now I feel this urge to recapture Sunday's feeling though my legs are sore and tired.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
                          10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27; Running is Back 10k, 5/12

JamesD

JamesD

Sorry to hear that, Fred.  Give it a week or two, and maybe take a few days off.  If you still don't feel enthusiastic after your legs have recovered, you might want to think about a different challenge rather than continuing to do halfs every few weeks, especially since you've made so much progress in lowering your half PR.  Maybe change up your training to focus more on speedwork and aim for a fast 5K (if you're ok running them in cold weather), or go slower and try a trail race.  Or do something with your son - are there any family relay races near you?

Post-1987 PRs:  Half 1:30:14 (2019); 10K 39:35 (2019); 5K 19:12 (2017); Mile 5:37.3 (2020)

'24 Goals: consistency, age-graded PRs, half < 1:32

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Sorry to hear that, Fred.  Give it a week or two, and maybe take a few days off.  If you still don't feel enthusiastic after your legs have recovered, you might want to think about a different challenge rather than continuing to do halfs every few weeks, especially since you've made so much progress in lowering your half PR.  Maybe change up your training to focus more on speedwork and aim for a fast 5K (if you're ok running them in cold weather), or go slower and try a trail race.  Or do something with your son - are there any family relay races near you?

Thanks, James, and good idea about the joint races.  In the meantime, it's not so much that I have no enthusiasm for runs as it is the runs I do fall short of what I want them to be.  I think you may be on to something with the trail run.  I may try that this weekend.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
                              10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27; Running is Back 10k, 5/12

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

James - Sorry, I don't have an Apple Watch but that does sound like something they should make quite obvious!

Fred - Hang in there, I think it's normal to have a lull after a big high.  While last week was the most down I've ever felt after a race, I've also felt a bit of a lull after a great result.  You build up for so long, and after a few days there's a bit of "now what?" and "do I have to go again?"  I also find when I'm looking forward to seeing a band for months that the next day I feel a bit down that something I wanted for so long is over.  Always good to plan another race or book another gig or holiday so you have something to look forward to.  The exception is when it's like it was for me last week.  Definitely too soon to plan a new one.

I know next Tuesday I'm going to be feeling the down side of a big event - all our gig cancellations and postponements that were rescheduled are catching up.  Next weekend I've got Blindspott on Saturday night then Kings of Leon on Sunday and Monday.  It's going to be absolutely epic!

2024 Races: