The Waltons aka Advanced Half Marathon Training Thread - 2022 edition (Read 444 times)

Marky_Mark_17

Zebano - honestly, big fan of the 2 days off.  Amazing how you feel consistently much better than when you're running 6 days straight.

Keen - such mileage.  Many wow!

Caitlin - I'm genuinely impressed you're the first one on here that told Piwi to suck it up and pick a race!  I always admire it when people can just think about running a casual marathon.  Steve did it a few months back, honestly I'm not sure it's something I could ever do.

Anyways I randomly checked the Southern Lakes HM page last night to see if entries had opened... and they had... and I got bib #1!  Literally the first time ever I have managed that in over 6 years of running (I did get bib #2 for Kerikeri HM in 2019 but that was the best I managed).

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Caitlin - Great to hear you're having a crack at a marathon.  The turnaround in the way you're sounding about running has been fast, huge and inspirational.  I also agree with your piwi comment.  This is a guy who nailed his debut marathon in sub 3, way too much talent to be on the sidelines.

Mark - That was actually 16 months ago now.  I was already tapered and at a loss of when I might actually run one (rightly, it turned out) so it felt like an easy call, and my recollection of it is that apart from the mental grind it was not that difficult.

I got #1 for South Island Marathon 2020 and was really happy.  I was already feeling a cold developing when I got it and it got slightly worse as the week went on before I decided to pull out late on Saturday afternoon.  The bib was a factor in almost running it!  And now that I've told that story, I really hope I haven't gone and jinxed anything.

Keen - Monster week.  I'm really looking forward to CIM when I can sit at my computer and track you all the way for your sub 2:55.  The time difference between California and NZ in NZ summer is much more friendly to do it.

Yep, I've basically decided ChCh 2023 is a go.  Listened to Running Rogue yesterday "Does your training have enough plurality?" and, assuming a marathon pace of 4:40/km (LOL), I should be doing easy runs at 5:17-20 and recovery at 5:55-6:00/km.  I slowed down on the last cycle but not enough and it could have tipped me over the edge.  Tried my updated pace last night and did 5:13/km so I'm getting there.  It feels so slow but it's obviously the key if I want to increase mileage too.

Zebano - Are you really an IT guy if you're freshly showered?

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

watsonc123

Steve - good idea on slowing down your easy pace.  I've been making sure my easy pace is 5:11/km or slower, with it normally being around 5:30 pace.  Previously, a lot of your "easy" runs looked a little bit quick, with the heart race also indicating so.

Keen - good luck on CIM.  Your massive mileage will hopefully pay off with a big PR.

Mark - I've told Piwi beforehand just to do some races.

Piwi - yeah, do some races.  There's no rule stating you need to have averaged X miles per week for Y weeks to race.

Caitlin - what is the marathon?

Is Flavio going to turn up here again?  Page 1 race table is way out of date.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

Thanks for all the love guys !

Zeb I think because I went from no biking to 5 rides quite hard out in a row was probably a bit much.

I went to gym with my 16 year old onn sunday and had a good work out. He got a pb bench of 62.5kgs which is more than his body weight and I managed 65kgs I'm at 67.5kgs body weight right now. Pathetic compared to the hulks that are in there though 

Hope you are fully recovered soon.

Mark #1 means you have to finish first right ? 

Keen good news I sent in my week of blood pressure readings today and got a text saying they were normal. Mostly round 128/80.

My cholesterol was high 8 but I haven't heard from the doctor about that. Will go easy on the mayo....

Thanks for your help. I have decided to not add extra salt to my food even though it may not contribute to high blood pressure.

Steve awesome on Christchurch. I really hope you come up to the Mount sometime and we can have that beer and a run. I'm not likely to be in Christchurch again now my daughter has moved.

Watson yes probably should just do something with no time goals in mind.

I'm currently not running because of pelvic pain the other week but it's completely gone.

I have to admit I did 10 mins on the treadmill on Sunday and felt fine.

I'm going to be hard pressed not to go for a jog sometime to see how it feels.

I did my first ab workout today since that injury and that felt fine. Been surfing alot which has been good cardio and upper body workouts.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

zebano

Zebano - Are you really an IT guy if you're freshly showered?

and here I thought I was in the Walton's thread . Well played sir.

Mark, here you go:

I'm also on the slow down bandwagon, but mostly because I don't notice the hamstring at all when I do that. I've been trying to get lots of runs that stay strictly below 135bpm when my zone 2 goes up to 144 by my latest measurements. Is that the smartest way to do thing? I have no idea. Do I feel silly running 10min/mile? A little but if it lets me consistently go over 50 miles a week I'll call that a win.

Piwi I really do wish I had lifted when I was younger. My son has almost no issues when he goes with me and he isn't consistent (or is less consistent than me, I'm only consistent with the bodyweight stuff for PT). Still a bodyweight bench is impressive. I've never gone above a single plate (145lbs). Glad you're healing up.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

ccoakley

Zebano, I'm a big fan of low HR runs and I think they're the only responsible way to increase mileage.  Hope it works well for you!

Mark, congrats on the #1, is 1st place in the realm of possibilities?  You could without question go out tomorrow and run 26.2 mi, it all comes down to pace.

Steve, thanks I'm still amazed by how quick the turn around to feeling normal was.  And it makes me feel better that I really wasn't imagining things something was off with my body.  I like the idea of more extremes for you....much easier easy runs and more challenging workouts.

Watson, it's the Richmond marathon Nov 12.  Hometown so I'll get to sleep in my bed and all that.

Piwi, good news all around and that 5k I saw on Strava looked very promising.

5k 24:53 (2020) |10k 52:24 (2021) |HM 1:57:14 (2019) |FM 4:24 (2007) |50k 5:57 (2022)

Caitlin good luck on Fridays long run. A hometown marathon would cut out so much stress. Unfortunately my hometown marathon is not a good one.

Zeb the slow running is fine and hopefully will allow that hammy to heal.

I did manage a slow 5k yesterday on a soft surface with no soreness. The first km showed a heart rate of 180  which isn't comforting when you spent a week stressing over cholesterol and blood pressure, but was obviously a garmin watch error.

I never had a scan for this pelvic soreness and the doctor was more pleased that he had me and could get a blood test . Anyway will monitor it closely.

Long weekend here and our 30th wedding anniversary.

That time flew by !

Piwi - Congrats on the 30yrs. Amazing stuff!

50+ age-group PBs:  Half Perish 1:24:24 (June '23 Road Race) - 10km 37:52 (2022 Local Road Champs) - Track 5km 18:49 (Aug '22) - Perish Run 3:17:42

2024 Goals: Boston Perish Run Sub 3:15 - Road/Track 10km Sub 37:30 - 5km Sub 18:20

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

piwi - 30 years is a legendary effort!

Hopefully I'll be in the Mount again sometime - it's such a great place - and I'm sure our paths will cross at a race sometime.  Assuming you listen to the chorus and enter a few.  Incidentally, since your local marathon is no good, I can recommend a place where it's cool, flat and fast that you could try....

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Marky_Mark_17

Piwi - congrats on 30 yrs!! Reasonable chance we will be down near the Mount in January for a few days at the beach so would be good to go for some runs when I'm down. Also I can pester you to do a race.  Great to see you logging some runs again and hope you're feeling good.

Caitlin - 1st is definitely a possibility.  It really depends on who shows up.  I won the race in 1:09 in 2021.  I came 4th this year, but there was a deeper field due to Christchurch Marathon being cancelled and I didn't have a great day... but no-one ran faster than my 2021 time.  Equally, there are plenty of quick runners who might show up and run something crazy like 1:04 or 1:05.  I'd be happy with just going out there and running a really good race.  I don't feel like I've done that since Omaha HM back in March.

There was a story about an NZ runner, Hamish Carson, who had Covid and took a few months to get over it.  His HR and energy levels were all over the show for a few months and then kinda magically came right.  Hopefully onwards and upwards from here!

Zebano - I approve of yr meme.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Thanks guys probably more congrats to my wife for putting up with me 

Mark interesting on Carson. I'm sure I was flat for about 6 weeks.

Steve they have international cricket here now, that should help attract you up here 

6kms on the beach for me this morning with no dramas.

watsonc123

Carson ended up running about 13:20-13:30 in a Diamond League 5k once he came back.

The Tauranga races can be quick given it's flat, and the courses are normally way short!  Maybe Run the Night 10km might fine distance wise, but the other two big races are really bad.

Piwi - congrats on the 30th.  Has your daughter done 3-4 years at uni?  If so, it doesn't seem that long ago when she started.  Or did she pull out / change plans?

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

Watson she moved to Sydney to live with her boyfriend but has started university over there and is in her 3rd year. She's doing computer science.

Thanks guys probably more congrats to my wife for putting up with me 

Well, that probably goes without saying! (And applies to all us guys)

50+ age-group PBs:  Half Perish 1:24:24 (June '23 Road Race) - 10km 37:52 (2022 Local Road Champs) - Track 5km 18:49 (Aug '22) - Perish Run 3:17:42

2024 Goals: Boston Perish Run Sub 3:15 - Road/Track 10km Sub 37:30 - 5km Sub 18:20

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Piwi - Congratulations on the 30 years.  Even if I count both my marriages, I only get to 27.

Mark - Nice job on scoring bib #1.  Around here, I rarely know my bib number until race day - sometimes a few days ahead of time.  The stories about runners eventually getting over covid are encouraging.  I read as many as 1 in 20 infected people wind up with long covid.

Steve - Not being fluent in the abbreviations down there, is ChCh the same as Christchurch?  When is the 2023 race?  Good luck in any case.

Zebano - I run roughly half my miles slow/easy when training and even more of them that way when recovering,

Hash - Nice total for the week.  I don't do much racing over my summer, in part because it's so hot and thus it's mostly 5k races being offered (and many of them are charity events that use the term "5k" loosely).

Keen - What a week!  Nicely done.  Good luck shooting for the new weekly record.

James - That is a stark temperature differential indeed.  I'd normally choose 23F over 82F, but that's because 82 is almost always quite humid where I live.  With low humidity, 82 would be nice for an easy run.

Ccoakley - Best of luck at Richmond.  I hope your long run on Friday goes well.

Watson - Is it possible Flavio could turn ownership of this thread over to someone else if he's not going to maintain the race list?

The thread's been quite active, so sorry if I missed anyone.  I had a couple of decent 6-mile runs the past two days, finally feeling like I've recovered from my half.  I haven't signed up for the 10k this weekend yet, but that's mostly because the weather is showing a chance of rain.  I should just suck it up and register.  If I do run the 10k, the the following week's half will be done based on how I feel when I cross the starting line.  Unfortunately, I've just learned it's another "fill station" race, meaning they won't have cups of water available to grab as runners go by, which is another reason not to take the race too seriously.

ETA: Back in June, a new HM in NJ was announced for December. At the time, the course map was posted as "Coming Soon." Well, it's less than 8 weeks until race date, and the course map is still "Coming Soon." I'm glad I stuck to my policy of not signing up for a race until I can see the course. Even the location of race day packet pickup is still TBD.  At this point, it would not surprise me if the race doesn't happen.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
                                10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: RunAPalooza (Asbury Park) HM, 4/6; Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27