The Waltons aka Advanced Half Marathon Training Thread - 2022 edition (Read 444 times)

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Thanks, Steve.

Sorry to hear about the change to your race down south.  While the new course may not be bad, it's unfortunate when races have to change established routes.  We get that here too.  There was a half I liked that faced rising costs from the town and wound up changing it's course to multiple loops, which were a lot less interesting.

What do we call the thread next year?  The Waltons' Half Marathons, etc.?

This week's pace run went much better than last week.  Granted, we ran the route in reverse, which is easier due to terrain, but even the miles not really affected by terrain went better.  Tomorrow could be a washout - rain, high winds and 40º (4C) most of the day.  It may ease off by evening, so I'll wait and see.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
    10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: RunAPalooza (Asbury Park) HM, 4/6; Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27

zebano

Steve glad you're ok with the changes. I personally don't think that sounds bad but I prefer XC and trail courses to road so ....

Watson sorry about the illness. How do you manage your asthma? I know it has side effects but ever since I went on daily Albuterol I've had only 1 attack over 5 years (my brother has it much worse).

Fred You really have had an excellent year by anyone's standards so kudos. I nominate you for thread dictator next year.

I'd tweak your suggested name just a little:

The Waltons' Racing & Training Thread

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Steve glad you're ok with the changes. I personally don't think that sounds bad but I prefer XC and trail courses to road so ....

Watson sorry about the illness. How do you manage your asthma? I know it has side effects but ever since I went on daily Albuterol I've had only 1 attack over 5 years (my brother has it much worse).

Fred You really have had an excellent year by anyone's standards so kudos. I nominate you for thread dictator next year.

I'd tweak your suggested name just a little:

The Waltons' Racing & Training Thread

Thanks, Zebano (for the compliment).  Looks like we'll be teammates next year in the RA running game.  As to thread dictator - be careful the power doesn't go to my head (though I'm not quite sure there is any power that goes with the title).  I like your thread name.

Upcoming races: RunAPalooza (Asbury Park) HM, 4/6; Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27

zebano

Thanks, Zebano (for the compliment).  Looks like we'll be teammates next year in the RA running game.  

That's awesome news. Where did you find that info?

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

That's awesome news. Where did you find that info?

Click on 2022 in 2022 in the Community menu.  Then in the game menu, click on Other Editions and select 2023 from the drop down.  In the new page, select My Team from the menu.  Click on Forum for the Team 3 discussion or PM me for the link and password to our team's private forum.  I can nominate you as a team captain to return the favor of your naming me thread dictator.

Marky_Mark_17

Watson - hope you're feeling better soon.  I've picked up a sinus infection off the back of whatever I had, so I'll be taking it easy for a little longer too.

Steve is right, normally traffic management is the responsibility of the local councils as they are generally the ones responsible for the roads.  If highways are involved they fall within NZTA's jurisdiction (they were responsible for killing off the Christchurch to Akaroa relay this year since a good part of that is on the main highway to Akaroa).  There are a small number of events with the misfortune of needing both - including the Auckland Marathon (which runs directly on the northern busway and SH1) and Kerikeri Half Marathon which crosses SH10.  I'm dead surprised Kerikeri hasn't fallen by the wayside yet as that SH10 crossing backs traffic up for miles around - if I had to pick the next event to fold, that would be it.  Which would be a huge shame as it's a fantastic event, I have some brilliant memories of running it in 2019.

Zebano, Fred - I'm playing again too, but not in your team (sorry).  That was where I first met Fred on these forums a few years ago though!

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Zebano, Fred - I'm playing again too, but not in your team (sorry).  That was where I first met Fred on these forums a few years ago though!

Yes!  I recall that.  Even though I get frustrated with the game sometimes, I always seem to meet at least one interesting person on my team each year.

Marky_Mark_17

Even though I get frustrated with the game sometimes, I always seem to meet at least one interesting person on my team each year.

In previous years we complained about the teams that ended up with a ton of people on IR and maybe 4 active runners which can make it kinda easy to hit 120%+ each week depending who those runners are.

This year, we were that team.  Although, we did not make it past the QF's because one of our few remaining runners had an ultra in week 1 or something like that.

It's good fun though and also a good way to meet some different runners you might not otherwise come across.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Half Crazy K 2.0

In previous years we complained about the teams that ended up with a ton of people on IR and maybe 4 active runners which can make it kinda easy to hit 120%+ each week depending who those runners are.

This year, we were that team.  Although, we did not make it past the QF's because one of our few remaining runners had an ultra in week 1 or something like that.

It's good fun though and also a good way to meet some different runners you might not otherwise come across.

LOL, I've been guilty of this in prior years. I think we all increased our goals, which last year was a huge advantage and didn't seem to factor in as much this year. I find the small teams that go way over goal tend to have 1 or 2 who went on IR, dropped their goal (usually reasonably), but the weekly goal is low. PS check your messages and join us in the team 2 group.

I'm fine with keeping the current threads, as I'm almost certainly never going to run a full, and I like the vibe in this thread.  Haven't looked at the beginners half thread, but as long as they're serious about training, I wouldn't mind merging with them.  My only concern would be that it gets difficult to keep up if there are more than about a dozen people.

A couple of points we should keep in mind:

• The more people active in the thread the bigger the job for the Thread Lord 
                      • A beginners half thread might be a great place to start for some people, with The Waltons a place to progress (and it's always great to have something to aspire to!)

Anyway, that's just my two cents/pennies/yen

50+ age-group PBs:  Half Perish 1:24:24 (June '23 Road Race) - 10km 37:52 (2022 Local Road Champs) - Track 5km 18:49 (Aug '22) - Perish Run 3:17:42

2024 Goals: Boston Perish Run Sub 3:15 - Road/Track 10km Sub 37:30 - 5km Sub 18:20

Marky_Mark_17

Fair call Hashiritai.

I did invite the other folks but their call from here.

Also we did not resolve the thread leader question. I am happy to do it, but that does not mean I am the best person to do it, so now is the time for any nominations.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

JoshWolf

Part of TLC

Are there any lurkers that would think about posting regularly if something changed slightly?

Yup, here's one lurker thinking to post regularly if something changed slightly - my health. I'd definitely not post in a merged thread. I like to be treated by other posters as if we had a face to face conversation. That's not always a given over in the marathon thread.

Don't hurry - next AG will start 2026

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Yup, here's one lurker thinking to post regularly if something changed slightly - my health. I'd definitely not post in a merged thread. I like to be treated by other posters as if we had a face to face conversation. That's not always a given over in the marathon thread.

Josh - The merge under discussion was with a new beginners HM thread, not the marathon thread.

Mark - What's involved with running a thread?  I understand a group needs an administrator, but a thread?

4 miles easy running for me today, but a really sore IT band afterwards, kind of out of the blue.  I'll do some stretching and hope it's better for tomorrow's 5k trail race

JoshWolf

Part of TLC

Just a fly-by from long forgotten times

Those are exactly the reasons why I would revive this thread if ever I got rid of my plague of injuries, came back and saw, that it had passed away. Plus someone changed the title of the thread so old(er) folks like me, trying to break the age-graded equivalent of 1:30, feel even more welcome.

Stay injury free and have fun!

To illustrate my thinking - I got four responses to my post above on 2022-06-26 despite the fact that it was my first post in this thread and probably not even a third of the posters here remember me.

A quick introduction:  Hi, my name is Josh, and I'm a runner. I hope to be back by next year. I'll provide a longer introduction then.

Happy holidays!

JoshWolf

Part of TLC

Josh - The merge under discussion was with a new beginners HM thread, not the marathon thread.

Well, yes. But I quoted Caitlin asking about pros and cons of a merge with the marathon thread four days ago. I guess my reaction came a bit late .