The Waltons aka Advanced Half Marathon Training Thread - 2022 edition (Read 444 times)

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

cc4life07 - Fear not, I only use the elevation data for relative comparisons and not as a hard and fast figure.

Zebano - True, the barometric watches will work differently.  I wonder how they function on those spring days where low spots have collected colder, heavier air - would they overreact to the increased density?

Longboat - Thanks for the detailed explanation.  Years ago I ran a half that twice crossed a bridge more than 100' above a river, but Garmin showed the actual terrain, so it claimed I did a lot more climbing than I really did (adding at least an extra 400').

cfarr - To me running in slush is worse than running in snow, though I may have to deal with both soon.  Nice week.

Soooo, I woke up early and heard the wind howling and knew it was cold out there and it was still dark and.....I didn't go out for early morning track work.  We'll see what I manage to do at lunch time.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
    10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: RunAPalooza (Asbury Park) HM, 4/6; Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27

cc4life07

Wind is not my friend.

Didn't get a chance to get to the treadmill last night (at the gym) so I went out to the roads for a run.  The neighborhoods were plowed but were icy all around.  Sidewalks were scarely shoveled and salted so it was a major adventure not to fall.  No longer did the temps bother me as all of my energy was geared to staying upright.  Made it throw 5.5 and my pacing was anywhere between 7 and 15 minute pace as I'm pretty sure I came to a stop once or twice as I slid across a driveway or two.  My fartlek workout tonight is in question....

"Current" PRs

5K - 18:00 (4/19)   |   HM - 1:19:28 (4/22)

Next Race: A 5K of some sort (Goal: Sub 17:30)

zebano

Didn't get a chance to get to the treadmill last night (at the gym) so I went out to the roads for a run.  The neighborhoods were plowed but were icy all around.  Sidewalks were scarely shoveled and salted so it was a major adventure not to fall.  No longer did the temps bother me as all of my energy was geared to staying upright.  Made it throw 5.5 and my pacing was anywhere between 7 and 15 minute pace as I'm pretty sure I came to a stop once or twice as I slid across a driveway or two.  My fartlek workout tonight is in question....

Good luck CC. I'm in a similar boat. I ran through my usual fartlek/tempo area yesterday and there's too much ice on the sidewalks so I'm considering running in the streets which are full of snow and slippery but then have to regulate by effort. Either that or run 3 miles to where the sidewalks are supposedly better which will make for a a long workout.

Longboat, interesting information, thanks.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

Cfar good solid week. That eruption was huge. There's alot of volcanic dust up in the atmosphere now. It will be interesting to see what effect it has.

Longboat great info thanks. My local motorway over bridge doesn't feature yet in Elevation on strava. Probably not enough people running it.

I have never run in snow or ice. I guess my equivalent is sand and frost.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Fred - My PR marathon was on a course quite like the HM elevation profile you posted - downhill then flat. They've since rerouted the race and now there's still a screaming downhill to start, but with the change in end point you now have to go back up an equivalent hill at the end. No thanks!

Piwi - Pic of you surfing, or is that jus someone you aspire to be?
            Really nice week.

Steve - Good building week, and you had a pretty epic run in there, too.

Mark - Congrats on the W, particularly with the conditions.

Flavio - Hooray for baby steps and low-hanging fruit (crowns).

Zebano - Pneumonia still improving, I trust (hope)?
            With those watch issues can you get it covered by warranty, or is this a "the fix is a replacement"-type deal?

DWave - Nice week, particularly with the weather challenges and what those bring. I'm curious about the dry needling thing. Any tips on picking a provider?

RP - Strong week all things considered.

Oakley, CFarr - Good weeks.

Another good building week me, though with a couple days on the treadmill - one because I got up too late to get my miles in on the road before DW needed to take my oldest kids to school, and my LR was because right now I just refuse to run in 25* with a 25-30mph N wind. The treadmill being in the garage doesn't really save me from the temps, but certainly does from the wind. Side note: similar conditions will lead to me doing my workout tomorrow on the treadmill as well. And it's a nice tempo run with those longer "on" portions for which treadmills are so well-suited.

Weekly for period: From: 01/10/2022 To 01/16/2022

Date Name mi km Duration Avg/mi Avg/km Elevation Gain
            in ft
            01/10 2 owls 11.11 17.87 01:30:17 08:08 05:03 548
            01/11 Monjiro & Jahy - London 7.06 11.35 00:57:48 08:11 05:06 0
            01/12 18 min + 14 min @ HMe 9.26 14.89 01:09:05 07:28 04:38 223
            01/13 Many geese and 4 shotgun volleys 8.05 12.96 01:07:46 08:25 05:14 397
            01/14 4 deer (4 strides) & 1 hawk 9.10 14.65 01:16:27 08:24 05:13 449
            01/15 Steadfast refusal - London 15.06 24.23 01:59:53 07:58 04:57 0
            01/16 3 deer (3 strides) & freezing fog 5.10 8.21 00:42:49 08:24 05:13 253

Total distance: 64.74mi

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

Fred yeah running through slush really sucks took my Monday run indoors on the treadmill at the Y yesterday.  Should be able to get outside the rest of the week expecting more snow on Friday /Saturday we will see how that shakes out likely will just be cold > teens and twenties  Keen nice week you are starting to build back up nicely.

PR's

1m  5:38 (2018)

5k    19:59 (2019)

HM  1:33:56 (2018)

FM  3:23:07 (2018)

Keen nice week. You are so consistent which we know is the key to running success.

Yes me with my gopro mounted on the front of the board.

There's a few races locally around here this year.

You have to have a vaccine passport which I currently have but will expire unless I get the booster shots.

I'm not entirely sold on getting continuous booster shots.

I know this subject divides everyone and I respect everyone's own choice.

How is the booster going in the USA ?

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Keen nice week. You are so consistent which we know is the key to running success.

Yes me with my gopro mounted on the front of the board.

There's a few races locally around here this year.

You have to have a vaccine passport which I currently have but will expire unless I get the booster shots.

I'm not entirely sold on getting continuous booster shots.

I know this subject divides everyone and I respect everyone's own choice.

Mostly as the original vaccine - early adopters of the vaccine got boosted early.  From what I've seen most vaccinated people are getting boosted.  There's a slow trickle of previously unvaccinated people changing their minds, and then there are the steadfast refusers who remain unvaccinated.  Regionally, there are big variations with some states reporting over ¾ of their population vaccinated while in other states it's less than half.  I'll just leave it at that lest the discussion turn heated.

The NY Road Runners (the people who put on the NYC Marathon) are requiring proof of vaccination to race.

My track work yesterday didn't go so well.  Aside from the wind gusting to stand-you-up speeds, I developed an ache in my right quadriceps, so I cut the session short.  Rest day today.  There could be 2" of snow on the ground tomorrow morning, so I may move my pace run back to Friday.

Upcoming races: RunAPalooza (Asbury Park) HM, 4/6; Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27

cc4life07

Wind is not my friend.

There's not as big of a push for boosters at this point since you're still considered "fully vax" without it.  Not sure how long that will be.  But as always in the U.S. opinions are all over the place.

"Current" PRs

5K - 18:00 (4/19)   |   HM - 1:19:28 (4/22)

Next Race: A 5K of some sort (Goal: Sub 17:30)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Piwi - Neat setup with the camera on the board. I've seen some videos of locals kite surfing on a local lake with that same setup and it's pretty wild to watch.

My experience with boosters is largely divided between work and soccer parents. Both groups have complained about being wiped out for days after the boosters. People at work seem more apt or eager to get a(nother) booster, while more people at soccer are questioning continuing with them.

Fred - Sorry to hear about the ache popping up, hopefully that clears up without progressing at all.

Kept to the treadmill for my tempo run today simply because I didn't want to put up with 20+ mph winds during it again. It took a bit to get the effort set right in the first couple minutes of the first interval, but after that it was all smooth sailing. I'll probably head out on the roads for a recovery run later so long as work and my kiddos coming home from school don't interfere with it.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

Thanks for the info guys. We wait with anticipation for Omicron to spread here 

Keen a head or helmet mount is a good perspective too. There is a mouth mount for gopro too which you bite onto. Sounds weird but you get a really good angle. Need some sort of tether though incase you drop the gopro 

Marky_Mark_17

I don't think it's sustainable for everyone to have to get boosters every 4-6 months.  To be honest, it looks like Omicron might actually be the start of the endgame though.  It's highly contagious but generally a lot milder, and from what the data shows in the UK and now Australia is that it peaks very sharply but then drops off quite quickly too - literally a matter of weeks.

I've spoken to 5 people that have had it, for 4 it was basically a minor cold and one said it was more like a bad cold.  At this point I'm actually quite keen for it to jump the border in NZ and get the whole thing over and done with.

Piwi / Keen - I have a helmet mount for my gopro for snowboarding.  It works really well, although the older models do get a bit of judder mounted there.  The image stabilisation on the newer models is incredible though.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

zebano

Piwi that's a great selfie!

My pnumonia was gone and I had a couple of excellent runs where the legs felt lively and then my son got Omnicron. Now most of the family including me is coughing but like Mark said it just feels like a bad cold (fingers crossed it stays that way). 2 of the four of us are already improving. I'm not holding my breath that we (globally) are out of the woods as nothing says it can't mutate into a worse variant but I'd really like to see the end of this.

Keen  I ran through 15mph winds and I think you made the right choice doing workouts on the 'mill though Yuki would disagree.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

I don't think it's sustainable for everyone to have to get boosters every 4-6 months.  To be honest, it looks like Omicron might actually be the start of the endgame though.  It's highly contagious but generally a lot milder, and from what the data shows in the UK and now Australia is that it peaks very sharply but then drops off quite quickly too - literally a matter of weeks.

The problem here in the US is Omicon is still flooding the hospitals, squeezing out people who need intensive care for other reasons.  Covid won't really be treated as endemic until we can cut down on the rate of hospitalization. That said, I tend to agree with 2-3 boosters/year being a bit much on an ongoing basis.

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

I've spoken to 5 people that have had it, for 4 it was basically a minor cold and one said it was more like a bad cold.  At this point I'm actually quite keen for it to jump the border in NZ and get the whole thing over and done with.

100% agree.  Much better it happens now than in May/June.  The border worker cases in the last few days were fully vaxxed and boosted.  If I'm going to get it anyway and it's mild, I don't see the point in taking the risk of a booster.  Different story for older people with other health issues like my Mum of course.

I'm getting a nagging feeling that the timing is not going to be great for the Christchurch Marathon.  If it doesn't happen in April maybe they can move it back to its rightful date in June.  Also, for some reason the Kings of Leon tour in March is technically still on.  This was another highlight of the year for me and I'm surprised they haven't made an announcement yet.  I'd be stunned if they'd secured MIQ spots and are willing to quarantine.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024