The Waltons aka Advanced Half Marathon Training Thread - 2022 edition (Read 444 times)

Marky_Mark_17

I'm getting a nagging feeling that the timing is not going to be great for the Christchurch Marathon.  If it doesn't happen in April maybe they can move it back to its rightful date in June.  Also, for some reason the Kings of Leon tour in March is technically still on.  This was another highlight of the year for me and I'm surprised they haven't made an announcement yet.  I'd be stunned if they'd secured MIQ spots and are willing to quarantine.

Yeah, I don't think it's looking great for those bigger summer/autumn races at the moment, but you never know.  If you look at the UK, which is now relaxing restrictions, it was basically a 4 week spike, similar in Australia.  Most likely our government will do its best to spread the misery over a significantly longer period.  I'm reasonably hopeful Southern Lakes will be OK regardless as it's a small event which can go ahead at red, but who knows.  And yes - Christchurch do have the rightful June date as a fallback!  TBH if it does get punted to June I would be quite tempted to have another go at the half there.

The Kings of Leon thing is amusing, I'd say that's zero chance given the way border controls are going.  Probably they just haven't negotiated an alternative date with venues yet.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

If this does happen to another big target race, I really hope it's sooner rather than later so I can adjust before the peak of marathon training.  If it was only a week or 2 before the race it will be tough to run my best race 2-3 months later.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Woops, forgot to mention a Nathan Jones sighting on my run yesterday.  The one I used to play cricket against who now does multi-sport and finished a few seconds behind Mark in Christchurch 2019.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

runethechamp

I've really missed running so I've started "running" again. Read a provocative article in the NY Times about reducing duration of load for healing of minor meniscus injuries (https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/19/well/workout-exercise-knee-health.html), so I figured why not. I have no races on the calendar or ambitions for this year apart from being able to run somewhat consistently again.  Hope I will be able to hang out here more again.

On the other hand I've become a lot better at swimming!

5k: 20:32 (1/17)  |  HM: 1:34:37 (2/18)  |  FM: 3:31:37 (3/18)

Getting back into it

zebano

On the other hand I've become a lot better at swimming!

Welcome back, and yes, you're crazy fast in the water!

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

Rune great to hear from you 👏

Mark/Steve im totally with you guys, bring on this Omicron.

Zeb so have you got Omicron?

Mark and anyone else have you checked out the new Nike zoom streak fly due for release February? Looks a nice 5k 10k shoe

https://youtu.be/ReQUOAsZ2B4

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Marky_Mark_17

Woops, forgot to mention a Nathan Jones sighting on my run yesterday.  The one I used to play cricket against who now does multi-sport and finished a few seconds behind Mark in Christchurch 2019.

First one of the year!

I haven't seen Auckland-based triathlete Nathan Jones for quite a while after several sightings last year.  Either he's injured or he's moved house... or both.

Rune - welcome back!

Piwi - I've tended to use the VF's for 5-10k's and they've worked well so I'd need a good reason to change.  Having said that they are a tad on the chunky side so if Nike have managed to produce something which offers similar speed but a little less bulky, I'd certainly check them out.

edit: having watched the video, they could be pretty good. Looks more nimble and probably more responsive than the VF so could be a great 5-10k shoe.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

runethechamp

Welcome back, and yes, you're crazy fast in the water!

Thanks! Regarding swim laps missing, I rarely have a perfectly recorded workout (although Strava is the only place where I can't correct the distance, Garmin and TrainingPeaks let me do it with an automatic pace correction), and it seems like it's gotten worse lately (firmware updates?). But strong push-offs from the walls help a lot, both for lap recording and a bunch of other things related to swimming form.

Mark, Piwi, thanks. As you can see from Strava I now run 10 minutes at a time. If this looks good after 3-4 weeks let's see how I can slowly progress. Now I need to read 20 pages of posts to catch up on 2022!

Getting back into it

Rune great to have you back and right on time too!  I have a couple of watch question and you might be able to add some insight.

I just ran my second run of the week on the treadmill.

I ended with 5.5 on the treadmill but only 5.05 on my watch so over 5 miles I was about a half mile off.

• Does anyone else have this type of issue between your watch and the treadmill?
                    • Is there a way to correct or sync the two?  (It seems the faster I run the farther the separation gets.)

Lastly

• If I was going to upgrade my watch (I currently have a Garmin 235) to one that also tracks swimming what would be a good choice?

PR's

1m  5:38 (2018)

5k    19:59 (2019)

HM  1:33:56 (2018)

FM  3:23:07 (2018)

Marky_Mark_17

Corey - I haven't hit the treadmill in a while but back in the day when I had a 235 I did find it undercooked treadmill distance.  Adding a footpod would probably fix that but Keen will know more than me on that front.

I've got the Garmin Fenix 6 which also does swimming, cycling and around 2000 other things that I'll never use it for.  Been an excellent watch so far but arguably overkill if you just want running and swimming.  Their triathlon watches may be worth a look also (check out DCRainmaker).

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

runethechamp

I always got the wrong distance running on a treadmill from my watch (shorter than treadmill distance), and I was usually somewhere between 15 and 20% off.

Garmin has a whole number of watches you can use to track swimming. If you want a triathlon mode, get  a Fenix (I have the 6, I think the same as Mark, the 7 just came out) or a 745 or 945. Otherwise I think their Vivoactive lets you do swimming but with no ability to track a full triathlon event (or any even doing multiple sports) without stopping one activity first and then starting the new one. The Fenix felt heavy on my wrist at first compared to my old 735 but I got used to it quickly.

Getting back into it

cc4life07

Wind is not my friend.

If I'm running on the treadmill, I don't usually bother with the watch and just manually upload to RA.  Then again, my Garmin is pretty basic so others can probably track much better than mine.

Rune great to have you back and right on time too!  I have a couple of watch question and you might be able to add some insight.

I just ran my second run of the week on the treadmill.

I ended with 5.5 on the treadmill but only 5.05 on my watch so over 5 miles I was about a half mile off.

• Does anyone else have this type of issue between your watch and the treadmill?
                          • Is there a way to correct or sync the two?  (It seems the faster I run the farther the separation gets.)

Lastly

• If I was going to upgrade my watch (I currently have a Garmin 235) to one that also tracks swimming what would be a good choice?

In MD, we appear to be peaking with Omicron and starting to dip back down.  So I'm hoping that we just get better at this point.  I'm not too fond of getting vaccines every 4-6 months.  I refuse to say the word "variant" though as it always reminds me of the Disney+ show, Loki.

"Current" PRs

5K - 18:00 (4/19)   |   HM - 1:19:28 (4/22)

Next Race: A 5K of some sort (Goal: Sub 17:30)

Mark interesting no plate in that shoe. An embedded torsion bar or something 🤔

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Marky_Mark_17

Mark interesting no plate in that shoe. An embedded torsion bar or something 🤔

I've seen a few articles suggesting that the real advantage of the VF's is the ZoomX foam and one of the main functions of the carbon fibre plate is to provide structural support to the foam (just having 40mm thick of foam wouldn't work, apparently).  So the logic makes sense.  But who really knows until we actually get to try them!

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

ccoakley

Both my Garmins (245 and 745) have a save and calibrate option when you're in treadmill mode.  It doesn't adjust anything else in your stats, just the final distance and average pace.  I've found for me if I run slower than 10:30ish Garmin cheats me but when I run faster Garmin gives me too much distance.  Or possibly vice versa it's been a very long time since I've done a TM run but there is a specific pace where it reverses.

5k 24:53 (2020) |10k 52:24 (2021) |HM 1:57:14 (2019) |FM 4:24 (2007) |50k 5:57 (2022)