The Waltons aka Advanced Half Marathon Training Thread - 2022 edition (Read 444 times)

zebano

Rune great to hear from you 👏

Mark/Steve im totally with you guys, bring on this Omicron.

Zeb so have you got Omicron?

Mark and anyone else have you checked out the new Nike zoom streak fly due for release February? Looks a nice 5k 10k shoe

https://youtu.be/ReQUOAsZ2B4

probably? Can't get my hands on a covid quick test much less a good one in the lab that can differentiate the strains. It's incredibly not serious right now. My son has it way worse and is hacking up a lung most days, but even he is starting to sound better. I feel bad that he missed his last two swim meets of the year.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

JamesD

JamesD

Corey - Are you sure your treadmill is correct?  When I measured the length of the belt on the one I use and ran slowly on it while my wife timed how long it took for 30 revolutions (several tries with almost identical results), it turned out that the belt was going almost 4% faster than the display said.  Of course that might mean that your watch is even farther off.

P.S. If you try to measure yours this way, have someone time it with you running, because a runner's weight makes a difference - mine was another 1+% faster with nobody on it.

Post-1987 PRs:  Half 1:30:14 (2019); 10K 39:35 (2019); 5K 19:12 (2017); Mile 5:37.3 (2020)

'24 Goals: consistency, age-graded PRs, half < 1:32

ccoakley

James, that seems really extreme, what prompted you to do such in an depth study of the TM?

5k 24:53 (2020) |10k 52:24 (2021) |HM 1:57:14 (2019) |FM 4:24 (2007) |50k 5:57 (2022)

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Fred - Ugh, 7F is -13C, damn, that’s cold. Worst I faced was 20F -7C I reckon.

Piwi - That’s a great selfie, I’ve just now noticed the avatar change.

Zeb - Get a Garmin 

DW - So that arching of the back happens for a reason, I’m guessing you’re much closer to solving the whole mystery. 

Once you figure out what’s the weak muscle or muscles causing that. I’m happy to hear there are some progress.

I can’t wait to see you blasting those 5:20 miles again.

Kiwis - locking incoming travellers in hotels is looking more and more silly by the day.

Portugal is surfing through Omicron with no issues at all and there’s no reason to think New Zealand would not do 3x better given NZ is considerably wealthier and even more out of the way.

Also I want to visit New Zealand but not when I have to quarantine 2 weeks, so I’m not biased in any way 😂

Cc4 - tough break, I remember trying to run in those conditions and the pace suffered greatly.

To be honest the worst part was when I stepped in a frozen puddle.

Rune - It’s great to hear from you. I love those pictures you post on Strava.

me - failed attempt at a segment crown today. I've actually ran the segment faster than the course record, however at the end of the segment I turned around and came back the same way I was coming from. So naturally Strava for some reason though I was still in my attempt when I was coming back and added a few extra meters and seconds there 😂

So next week I'm going there run the same time and then turn right instead of turning around 😎

All in all it was super fun to run fast, pretty close to 1500m PR pace for around 660m or roughly 0.41 of a mile.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

I guess a picture is worth a thousand words 😁

Strava is funny

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

zebano

Fred - Ugh, 7F is -13C, damn, that’s cold. Worst I faced was 20F -7C I reckon.

Zeb - Get a Garmin 

me - failed attempt at a segment crown today. I've actually ran the segment faster than the course record, however at the end of the segment I turned around and came back the same way I was coming from. So naturally Strava for some reason though I was still in my attempt when I was coming back and added a few extra meters and seconds there 😂

So next week I'm going there run the same time and then turn right instead of turning around 😎

All in all it was super fun to run fast, pretty close to 1500m PR pace for around 660m or roughly 0.41 of a mile.

strava can be obnoxious about those things, especially uphill segments for some reason.

I had a garmin, it looked like a brick on wrist

any midwesterners running today? The high here is supposed to be -3 (I just looked and the forecast updated since last night, now it will be a balmy +3). I've opted to make this my day off for the week.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

cc4life07

Wind is not my friend.

Still have that brick AND it's charger.  It's my emergency watch.  I don't know what emergency that would be but I still have it.  Now have a "cheap" Forerunner 35.

strava can be obnoxious about those things, especially uphill segments for some reason.

I had a garmin, it looked like a brick on wrist

any midwesterners running today? The high here is supposed to be -3 (I just looked and the forecast updated since last night, now it will be a balmy +3). I've opted to make this my day off for the week.

"Current" PRs

5K - 18:00 (4/19)   |   HM - 1:19:28 (4/22)

Next Race: A 5K of some sort (Goal: Sub 17:30)

jeffdonahue

Okay, I'm in.

Hoping for a good - uninjured year of training.  My best HM time is just under 1:40, but that was a few years (and injuries) ago.

Last year I did a few HMs and had a best of 1:56.

This year, I have the Newburyport HM on April 24th and I'd like to do it in 1:45.  I think that is doable for me if I can keep my training going until then.

zebano

Alright Jeff! Welcome. Consistency and no injuries is really the gold standard isn't it?

CC4life I can't imagine the battery in something that old is good for more than a 40 minute run but it's hard to get rid of the old tech. I'm really annoyed because for his XC season I let my son use my backup watch (Sunnto Spartan Trainer Wrist HR --- yeah that's a stupid name) and he lost it in the locker room. ugg.  That said I find it interesting that I get these new watches with great features and all I really care about is time, pace and lap button. HR is nice when it's accurate but that's rare and the more I run, the more I just rely on perceived exertion.

cc4life07

Wind is not my friend.

I haven't turned it on in years so who knows if it even works.  Thought I could wait a little longer and then donate to the Smithsonian.  I like looking at the data after the fact but rarely look at the watch unless its a workout split.  I don't buy any of the watches with crazy bells and whistles.  An old athlete gave me her old Garmin that I keep around for athletes that show up to practice without one or try to use a fitbit for accuracy.  I take it back from them every day though or else I'd never see it again.

CC4life I can't imagine the battery in something that old is good for more than a 40 minute run but it's hard to get rid of the old tech. I'm really annoyed because for his XC season I let my son use my backup watch (Sunnto Spartan Trainer Wrist HR --- yeah that's a stupid name) and he lost it in the locker room. ugg.  That said I find it interesting that I get these new watches with great features and all I really care about is time, pace and lap button. HR is nice when it's accurate but that's rare and the more I run, the more I just rely on perceived exertion.

Jeff - Welcome!  No injuries is also a yearly/weekly/daily goal for me.  Looks like you've been going at it pretty consistently this year so far!

"Current" PRs

5K - 18:00 (4/19)   |   HM - 1:19:28 (4/22)

Next Race: A 5K of some sort (Goal: Sub 17:30)

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Jeff - Welcome aboard! Go ahead and tell us a bit more about yourself (name, age, location, recent training and workouts, average mileage recently).

jeffdonahue

Sure,

50 years old from Melrose, MA.

Last year my average mileage for the first half of the year was probably in the 40s, but got injured when I did 7 HM in 7 days in 7 states in June so it dropped significantly in the second half of the year.  this year I'm shooting for 35mpw average, but trying to get in more actual speed sessions than I did last year.  Last year, since I was doing the 7 HM in a row I focused completely on longer slow distances and not speed because I knew I was not racing those.

This year I'd like to see if I can get some of my speed back.  So this week I'll probably hit between 25-30 miles and did the following training sessions

6x400 at about a 7mpm pace

20 minute tempo progressing up from 8:00 to about 7:30 pace at the end.

With the cold and ice I tend to do a lot of my winter training on the treadmill.

Jeff - Welcome aboard! Go ahead and tell us a bit more about yourself (name, age, location, recent training and workouts, average mileage recently).

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Zebano - I totally get the Yuki perspective. I'll take the treadmill for a workout so I can execute it as well as possible to get the best training benefit possible, but would absolutely toe the line if it were race day in the same conditions.

I actually did hit the road this morning in ~15F/-1F wind chill, very purposefully choosing my route so I always had a crosswind.
                            Easy runs in poor conditions I have no trouble with, I'd just rather keep to the TM for workouts in it!

Rune! - Good to see you starting back up once more.

CFarr - I use Stryd for distance calculations for both indoor and outdoor runs, so I don't really have a mismatch between the two. I will say that there does start to be a slight difference between the pace/distance shown on my watch (from Stryd) and what the treadmill displays once I get to somewhere in between HM and 1 hour race effort/pace.

Newer Garmin watches allow you to "calibrate" between your watch and the treadmill after a run. Naturally, this assumes that what your treadmill displays is accurate and that it's your watch that's wrong.

A lightly used Fenix 5X Plus on the cheap would make a great replacement. PM me, I know a guy!

Jeff - Welcome! Do you have any goal races picked out yet?
                            Neither here nor there, but your avatar bugs me a tiny bit. The "3" and "4" faces should be opposite each other on a die!

Keeping your face warm - What's the best way to do this when it's super cold? I used a merino buff today which helped to an extent. It kept some of the wind off my cheeks, but on my way out the wind blew my exhaled air to my left side, where it froze. Then when I turned around I had a chunk of ice being pushed into my face by the wind. If there's a better way, please let me know!

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

runethechamp

Thanks Keen and Flavio!

Keen - Regarding face protection, maybe dig up some videos from cold cross country skiing races? They have to deal with this all the time. I think the races in Finland at the start of this season were really cold. I know that some of them tape parts of the face to directly protect from cold air.

Flavio - I will do my best to get pictures from my outdoor activities again. Not much going on in the pool unfortunately.

5k: 20:32 (1/17)  |  HM: 1:34:37 (2/18)  |  FM: 3:31:37 (3/18)

Getting back into it

zebano

Keen, slathering vasoline on the face will do the trick but I tend to not do that until I have air temps below 0 and windchills around -20 as it just feels gross. One year I expiremented with a balaclava, scarf and ski goggles but ultimately the goggles always fogged up.