The Waltons aka Advanced Half Marathon Training Thread - 2022 edition (Read 444 times)

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

cc4/Fred - So I can't stand that long regardless of the activity. For many years now I can't walk for long before my lower back starts screaming at me. Or stand at a concert. Even running, anything beyond 2h10 and the back pain starts as well.

Just super weak lower back (Glutes, piriformis) due to a lifetime of sitting down with literally zero activity other than running and more recently the strength training sessions.

For reference, I'm currently doing dead lifts with 30kg/66lbs. I know it's hard for you to imagine that being possible, but it's the current state of affairs here.

Also, the PT told me there was no point to keep going there if I kept working sitting down since it's causing so many back issues to me.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

cc4life07

Wind is not my friend.

Would much prefer an indoor track!  Don't exist around here.  Problem is that if I don't run on the treadmill then I'd most likely put it off 'til evening since I'd have to still find and decide on all of the clothes I'd need to wear to be comfortable outside.  I hate treadmills but I just end up popping in a movie.

CC4life I really really really wish I could stand to run on a treadmill but they're just awful torture devices. Theoretically it sounds much nicer than running outside today but one of those I will enjoy and one I will hate. I have found indoor tracks aren't too bad, if they're not busy.

"Current" PRs

5K - 18:00 (4/19)   |   HM - 1:19:28 (4/22)

Next Race: A 5K of some sort (Goal: Sub 17:30)

Arunerd you will be the treadmill expert then with that resume ! Luckily I never need one here.

Zeb was that a drunken post ? I don't live in Australia and I never mentioned a standing desk. 

Flavio I too don't like standing still for long periods. I remember when my kids played soccer and watching them my back would ache.

I'm also only deadlifting 45kgs but that's all I have on my little home gym.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

DWave - Sorry for the frustrations and lack of progress in getting this figured out.

Nerd - Interesting about your perceived effort. I'm the opposite in that a specific pace feels easier for me. I particularly like using Stryd for the TM and a given wattage there always ends up being a good deal faster than it would be on roads. Not sure if the lack of air resistance completely explains that or not.
          That said, boredom is definitely more of a factor for me on the TM than roads, even if I'm watching something with a lot of mindless action and explosions.

Slightly strength training related: Monday of last week I put a pullup bar in a doorway that's pretty much right outside of my office and I'm trying to do pullups or chin ups multiple times per day. The day I installed it I maxed out at two (pullups or chin ups) and as of last night I failed just before completing 6. I've yet to try today, but I'm hoping to actually get that number 6 completed.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

zebano

Zeb was that a drunken post ? I don't live in Australia and I never mentioned a standing desk. 

Nah it was supposed to be directed at Flavio who is for some reason standing more now and can't believe so many of us live where the environment can kill us.

Keen lifts now. Watch out.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Piwi - Good job, you've been quite consistent with the strength training, I bet even your surfing is benefiting.

Zeb - LOL now that post makes sense. Yeah I bought just a mini desk that you place on top of any table. It's working wonders so far.

Also, as far as I understand the dangerous part of Australia is the outback where nobody lives? Unless you're referring to Vegemite sandwiches 

Keen - For what it's worth, if you're intending to do more pullups, you should do them only like 3x a week. If you can do max 5/6, try to do 3x4 and maybe extend that to 4x4 (or 30x4 seeing as you're the king of endurance). You actually get stronger during the rest, so if you never rest you never evolve.

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Keen - For what it's worth, if you're intending to do more pullups, you should do them only like 3x a week. If you can do max 5/6, try to do 3x4 and maybe extend that to 4x4 (or 30x4 seeing as you're the king of endurance). You actually get stronger during the rest, so if you never rest you never evolve.

I'll keep this in mind.

I tried right after I posted that and got 6, failing with my shoulders equal to the bar on #7. Hashbrown Newbie Gainz!

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Zebano - Oh, never mind, you mentioned Australia because Piwi lives there... 😇

runethechamp

DW - Sorry to hear about your issues. I have learned through my injury endeavors over the last 3 years that there are often small muscles that can be unbalanced due to load patterns, other injuries, etc. I trust you are on that for your core but figured I would mention it. My sports doctor has been very good at nailing down where my issues are and getting things corrected, and I am constantly surprised at how much imbalance I have in places where I think myself I am totally fine.

Keen - I spent 2 years in the Air Force in Norway many moons ago, and one of the intake physical tests was pullups. We needed 14 to get the top grade. To prepare I would grab onto the underside of the stairs (with open treads) in my parents' house whenever I walked by and do as many as I could. 14 was no issue at the tests. Regarding rest between strength training Flavio is right, but also remember that building extra muscles is really slow, and the rapid improvements you have in the beginning are mostly due to your muscles just learning how to fire correctly to perform the work. I also remember the pullup scheme in Arnold Schwarzenegger's Encyclopedia of Modern Bodybuilding. 5x10, or if you can't (I never reached that level), do sets until you reach 50 total.

Yesterday I had a feeling that my knee suddenly felt stronger. Will still take it VERY easy over the next few weeks until I am sure things have stabilized at a good level. Last year I got carried away as my running fitness improved and it did obviously not end well . So my weekly summaries will be mostly swimming still.

5k: 20:32 (1/17)  |  HM: 1:34:37 (2/18)  |  FM: 3:31:37 (3/18)

Getting back into it

zebano

Zebano - Oh, never mind, you mentioned Australia because Piwi lives there... 😇

Exactly!  The land of Nathan Jones aka Australia.   Nah, I just saw part of a documentary on how stupidly dangerous Australia is one time and it stuck with me. I figure a little cold is nothing compared to the Outback.

regarding pullups I totally fail at them but I always heard "Greece  the Groove" or do as many as you can on a semi-regular basis (every time you pass the bar) was a good strategy. I tried it and got up to 10 consecutive last year but then it became winter and I stopped going outside to my kid's swing set.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

ccoakley

This thread moves so fast!

RE Vaseline, I prefer coconut oil.  It naturally has like SPF 8 and also helps protect against cold and wind but just feels better on my face.

Arunnerd, that is so cool you did programming for treadmill's.  Did being a runner help you get the assignment?  I always think it's better when a programmer has insight into how what they're writing will actually be used.

All you that live in artic conditions I salute you, I get cold just thinking about it.

I just finished my 6 hr training run and it went really well.  Ended up with 31.2 mi 5:40 running time and 2 10 min pit stops.  The pit stops are just such a time suck.  I tried to run longer between walk breaks and I think it worked, I never really felt like I hit a wall. I'm feeling better about my 50 mi goal but also the idea of being out there for another 6 hours is very daunting.  It was very cold for my run-- mid 20s feels like mid teens.  I'm really hoping it's a bit warmer for race day because dealing with switching out gloves and wearing so many layers added more complexity than I would like.  So far no injuries have presented but we'll see how I feel tomorrow.

5k 24:53 (2020) |10k 52:24 (2021) |HM 1:57:14 (2019) |FM 4:24 (2007) |50k 5:57 (2022)

thanks for all the info on watches and treadmill.

James I have know Idea it is one in the line up at the Y.  I don't run on the treadmill much but when I do I try to use the same one.

I have found on the TM that the slower I go my watch stays ahead, the faster I go my watch falls behind. I did just a steady run @ 6.5 mph and that seems to be the point where they track about the same I was losing about a hundredth of a mile per mile on my watch.

I am looking for something to use for a triathlon

Welcome aboard Jeff 7 in 7 that sounds like a fun challenge

DW I wish you were getting more answers and not gong in circles

when its cold and windy I usually use chap stick and add a bit to my nose and checks it works well.

ccoakley awesome job on the 6hour run!

getting ready to head out and try and get 10-12 in today I'll see how I feel.

PR's

1m  5:38 (2018)

5k    19:59 (2019)

HM  1:33:56 (2018)

FM  3:23:07 (2018)

jeffdonahue

Aside from the inflamed tendons I ended up with in my ankle/shin it was an absolute blast!  I enjoyed every day, even that last one that was pretty painful.  I ran it through the www.mainlymarathons.com group - very well run and organized - all loop courses, usually 6 or 8 laps.  I actually preferred the 8 lap ones as it got me to the drink/food table more often.

My goal HM right now is the Newburyport HM in April - shooting for 1:45.

Jeff - welcome!  That 7 HMs in 7 days in 7 states challenge sounds fun.

jeffdonahue

As for running in the cold.  Whenever I pick up my son at college in the winter, it is pretty cold - last year was -18 with the wind chill.  I had on my layers and for my face I had used one of the UnderAmour running masks.  It actually kept my face pretty warm.  I will say that at one point the headwind was pretty bad - it made my eyes water, and then the cold froze those tears and my right eye froze shut for a minute or two.  But overall that was all I needed.

Welcome Jeff thats a hell of an achievement, the 7 halfs in 7 states

My week

Weekly for period: From: 17/01/2022 To 23/01/2022

Date Name mi km Duration Avg/mi Avg/km Elevation Gain
                                in m
                                17/01 Morning Run 6.22 10.01 00:53:39 08:38 05:22 16
                                18/01 Morning Run 6.22 10.02 00:48:58 07:52 04:53 5
                                19/01 Morning Run 3.82 6.14 00:33:25 08:45 05:27 7
                                20/01 Morning Run 7.59 12.21 01:02:48 08:16 05:09 24
                                21/01 Surf check 3.74 6.02 00:34:13 09:09 05:41 20
                                22/01 2x5k with Jacques 9.33 15.01 01:09:04 07:24 04:36 12
                                23/01 Morning Run 7.10 11.43 01:00:52 08:34 05:20 21

Total distance: 70.83km

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "