The Waltons aka Advanced Half Marathon Training Thread - 2022 edition (Read 444 times)

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Zebano - My running partner and I started running together about 6 months before the pandemic.  He's faster than me, so to keep the runs interesting for him, we'd run on days I was training at HM pace.  Late last summer he suffered a knee injury and is still coming back from that (including some form change to alter the stride that made him more vulnerable to injury).  He's still faster than me, but hasn't recovered all his stamina yet, so he can beat me on a 5-miler, but I currently have the edge in a half marathon it seems.  We're similar in age and stage of life, so our runs are also good for talks.

DW - We're all wired a bit differently and have to dress in the way that works best for us - the trick is to find that magic solution.

Piwi, Zebano, ccoakley, Darkwave - Thanks.  I'm hoping this is a sign that my training is going well and I'll have a shot at an absolute PR in the spring.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
    10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27; Spring Distance Classic 5k, 4/28

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Piwi, Mark, Watson - Nice weeks.

Watson - Good week as well, and I'm also a fan of the Razor Excess. Unfortunately my pair is getting pretty worn out about now.

Zebano - Your time/distance across the disciplines is really getting good.
      I actually don't get vests at all (the complete opposite position from when I first started running and initially saw arm sleeves). It's always my arms and hands that get cold, never my core.

DWave - Good week. What are on the for/against sides of your arguments regarding the epidural? And would I suppose correctly that you are shopping for an (additional) neurologist?

Now we're getting closer to how I like me weeks to look! Interestingly enough, the highlight of this was the 1 miler immediately after my LR. DW asked me if I was too tired after the run to take the pup out for an easy run and my middle daughter (7) invited herself along - she actually just got dressed for it immediately upon hearing that I was going out. She ran the entire distance without stopping, which I'm pretty sure is the farthest she's ever run continuously before. She kinda wanted to stop going up an incline ~.15mi from the house but I talked her into it by saying "don't stop, you're almost to the top", then followed that with "well now it's just super flat to the house", which worked until she could actually see the house and took off on her own.

This week will be a bit of a planned step back in mileage/intensity ahead of the weekend, which also works as a mini-taper for a 20k trail race this Saturday. This will be my second time on trails, and maybe 3x as far on trails as ever before. What could go wrong, huh?

Weekly for period: From: 01/17/2022 To 01/23/2022

Date Name mi km Duration Avg/mi Avg/km Elevation Gain
      in ft
      01/17 1 great horned owl & 1 coyote 11.16 17.95 01:31:42 08:13 05:07 486
      01/17 It's a Jahy kind of afternoon - Paris 4.05 6.52 00:33:58 08:23 05:13 0
      01/18 Too much dirt road traffic 8.05 12.96 01:09:38 08:39 05:22 397
      01/19 22min + 18min in the (dark) realm of HMe - NYC 10.78 17.34 01:16:33 07:06 04:25 0
      01/19 Doubles. Oh, how I've missed you 4.05 6.52 00:33:57 08:23 05:12 164
      01/20 Crosswinds are better than headwinds 6.05 9.74 00:51:31 08:31 05:17 289
      01/21 1 rabbit & more miles than degrees 10.05 16.18 01:22:46 08:14 05:07 482
      01/22 1 owl & 1 rabbit 5.10 8.21 00:43:20 08:30 05:17 220
      01/23 8 deer (8 strides) & 1 rabbit 15.11 24.31 02:04:43 08:15 05:08 692
      01/23 Post LR dog jog with DD2 1.01 1.62 00:10:53 10:47 06:43 36

Total distance: 75.42mi

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

darkwave

Mother of Cats

DWave - Good week. What are on the for/against sides of your arguments regarding the epidural? And would I suppose correctly that you are shopping for an (additional) neurologist?

For: what the heck, we've tried everything else, and it's pretty safe, quick, and covered by insurance.

Against:  No injection is truly safe, and anytime you do an injection into the spine, there is a small chance of something going wrong.  Corticosteroids are catabolic, and can do some damage.

And then there's the matter of convenience.  Physiatrist said that the recovery was basically just to take the rest of the day easy, and then return to normal activity (and he knows what "normal" is for me).  But I've read elsewhere that you're not supposed to drive for 12 hours after an epidural injection.  Which adds some logistical challenge both in getting to/from his office and in that I'm supposed to have an ART appointment that afternoon (which I'm not sure I can do if I've gotten my back injected that morning.

As for neurologist, I might check in with my previous one, whom I left because of a bad experience with his front office (I really liked the doctor himself).  Or my primary care suggested trying the Mayo or Cleveland Clinics as a last stop, so maybe I go there.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

zebano

Zebano - Your time/distance across the disciplines is really getting good.
          I actually don't get vests at all (the complete opposite position from when I first started running and initially saw arm sleeves). It's always my arms and hands that get cold, never my core.

Thanks, hopefully it's not TMTS. Your weeks are building back up nicely. You have far more patience for a proper build than I do.

My hands will get cold in some instances, but they were terrible 4 years ago and I think blood flow to them has actually improved. I used to wear choppers on every run and now I have running gloves that suit me down to about 10F.

Running with our Kids is always great. My 11 year olds usually sprint a half mile and then were stuck walking more than running after that but I always enjoy that time anyways.

DW I hope the epidural works out. It feels like you've been chasing this issue for a year now.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

ccoakley

DW, is this the same epidural they give for labor?  If so I've had 2 and I would 1000% not drive afterwards.  The hospital won't even let you walk by yourself afterwards.  It definitely takes 12 hrs before I would trust having complete control of my legs.  What would the epidural do/show/prove?

For: what the heck, we've tried everything else, and it's pretty safe, quick, and covered by insurance.

Against:  No injection is truly safe, and anytime you do an injection into the spine, there is a small chance of something going wrong.  Corticosteroids are catabolic, and can do some damage.

And then there's the matter of convenience.  Physiatrist said that the recovery was basically just to take the rest of the day easy, and then return to normal activity (and he knows what "normal" is for me).  But I've read elsewhere that you're not supposed to drive for 12 hours after an epidural injection.  Which adds some logistical challenge both in getting to/from his office and in that I'm supposed to have an ART appointment that afternoon (which I'm not sure I can do if I've gotten my back injected that morning.

As for neurologist, I might check in with my previous one, whom I left because of a bad experience with his front office (I really liked the doctor himself).  Or my primary care suggested trying the Mayo or Cleveland Clinics as a last stop, so maybe I go there.

5k 24:53 (2020) |10k 52:24 (2021) |HM 1:57:14 (2019) |FM 4:24 (2007) |50k 5:57 (2022)

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

I had an epidural for a bulging disk causing nerve pain in my leg about 4 years ago.  It worked well but wasn't a full cure.  I still have to be careful with my back.  That said, I was much better after the injection than before.  My wife had taken me, though I could probably have driven home.  That said, I have no idea the strength/dose of what I had compared to what you will get.

Marky_Mark_17

Phew, tough to keep up but loving all the chat from the new members here.

Rune - I remember being in San Francisco in the middle of your winter a few years back and I don't think it got below about 13C / 55F!  It rarely gets below around 5C here in Auckland (40F) at which point I'd go for gloves.

Fred - any goal races in mind for the spring?

Keen - very solid week there.  I like the more miles than degrees thing.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Phew, tough to keep up but loving all the chat from the new members here.

Rune - I remember being in San Francisco in the middle of your winter a few years back and I don't think it got below about 13C / 55F!  It rarely gets below around 5C here in Auckland (40F) at which point I'd go for gloves.

Fred - any goal races in mind for the spring?

Keen - very solid week there.  I like the more miles than degrees thing.

Mark - Agreed it's hard to keep up with so many people actively posting here.  As to target races I think it would be really cool if I could break 1:50 in a half marathon before age catches up to me.  Last fall I took my HM PR down from 1:53:35 to 1:52:38 (which was also the first time I broke 60% for an age graded score in a half).  This spring I'd like to get another step closer to 1:50, so maybe 1:51: xx at either the E. Murray Todd Half in March or the Asbury Park Half in April?  As always, part of that will be at the mercy of the weather, which would apply to a half I'm running in early May.

Keen nice week as usual. I see you still spot some deer on your runs. I've been eating alot of venison lately. It's very protein rich. From Wikipedia " Venison's health benefits are many. For starters, it's one of the leanest, heart-healthiest meats available — low in fat, high in protein and packed with zinc, haem iron, and vitamin "

Rune your climate is very similar to mine. Glad you are able to jog again.

Just the word epidural kind of scares me. Probably a hangover of child birth days . My wife never actually had one though with our 4 children

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Zebano - What are these miracle gloves? My best pair (Salomon XC Ski mittens, actually) start to fail below 20F, and 10F is beyond time to need a layered pair of gloves.

My oldest is pretty much the same way - she wants to sprint (particularly up hills) and jump on to/off of benches and whatever else she finds. I really need to get her out to run some trails. I think she'd love it and all the variety would help keep her entertained.

Piwi - I do see them every so often. There are some in a certain area that are largely immune to my presence - they'll just stand next to the road and watch me go by. I first saw a pair that ran away, then the next 3 stood by the road to watch me. In looking at them more closely I saw the last few still in the field next to the road watching me from the trees.

I do have some venison in the freezer from one my brother got last year. It is really tasty, but too lean for my tastes in general.

Your wife never had an epidural? That's certainly kudos-worthy.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Fred - Nice work.  I have a feeling you might just surprise yourself given how close your goals are.

Keen - Nice to see you putting up the numbers you're known for.  That's already higher than my expected peak in this cycle.

rune - Great to see you back here.  Hopefully you manage to get some running in soon.

Christchurch Marathon - The director has announced they are reviewing options and will make a decision within 2 weeks.  Our cases are going nowhere but up so the April 10 date is no longer 50-50, more like 10-90 now.  At least I'll know early.  I suspect they will go to a date that is almost (haha) guaranteed to be safe so potentially September (unless they want to keep it away from Dunedin on September 11).

So my current thinking, which seems to change every few days right now.  I have an entry for Wellington on June 19.  I think we'll be out of this by then but there's enough doubt for me to not risk another unfinished marathon cycle.  If Christchurch is moved to June, then they'll have some indication that it is viable so I will continue making that my #1 focus.  If they move to September, I'll do Southern Lakes on May 7.  I did want to have a real crack at a half PB this year (on a flat course) but that may fall by the wayside if the marathon is in September.  I'll take what I can get in terms of races though.

Got to feel for Queenstown who look like having to cancel their rescheduled date of March 19.

September is less than optimal in that it means a lot of training in winter, but the potential of a warm day on race day, as opposed to my current cycle which is training in warmer weather with a likely cool race day.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024 1:27:34

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Marky_Mark_17

Steve - yeah I just saw Christchurch Marathon's post.  I think you're right... the odds on it happening in April are very slim.  If they're saying they're making a decision in two weeks, then I think that almost certainly has to be a postponement.  In two weeks time I don't think it'll be any clearer whether it's possible to go ahead in early April.  Given Christchurch is also national marathon champs, I'd say the new date is more likely to be the traditional June date than September, because Sept already has two national champs events (10k champs is 4 Sept and HM Champs is 18 Sept) and then national road relays (which Oska loves) is early October.  But June is still a little bit dicey, so who knows.

I had some good news... Running Events have an approved plan to go ahead at red.  They are going to run wave starts of <100, seeded by expected finish time.  No prizegiving (that will be done virtually the following day), basically it's just turn up, run, go home.  So, should be good to go for at least the rest of the 10k series, if not also Omaha Half Marathon.  Apparently their plan has been approved by council for some of their events already and they are in the process of getting it approved for the rest.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

That's good news from Running Events.  I thought Christchurch may consider trying wave starts but with all events starting together it would mean huge changes and road closures all day which wouldn't get approved.  I don't think they'll move it to June - it's pretty expensive and a lot of work so they'll do everything to try and avoid having to move it again.  Maybe they could try early August and the race director can get off his high horse about trying to get the best weather.  Potentially brutal in August but so be it.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024 1:27:34

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

zebano

Steve, man that's terrible news. I don't know that you'll ever get to race.

Keen I looked on amazon and I ordered them in 2019 and they have the generic name: Winter Gloves Anti-slip Running Cycling Driving Motorcycle Gloves Touch Screen Gloves Sports Gloves for Men Women  unfortunately the link is dead so they can't be ordered any more.

Re: kid's running The jumping off things is what my kids really love to do. After our Derecho the kids ran more than they ever had because there were tons of downed trees and stumps to leap off.

Fred I look forward to hearing about you breaking 1:50 in a few months!

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Wow i missed a LOT. 

Darkwave how did the KT tape on the stomach go? Good idea as a reminder to keep the back straight. Sometimes the simplest things make the best results. The Chair of Death sounds hard because I did weight lifting so squatting always bent the back a certain amount. I literally came back to get an update on the medical issues. Bunch of circles. Today I Learned the definition of a Physiatrist. I actually had to read the word a few times to say it correctly and NOT say a combination of Physicitian and Physicist. Although, may seeing a Physicist would help. Doesn’t the epidural wear off, and become less effective at the same dose over time thus not solving the problem and being a band aid until the next “well lets try this”? The only experience I have with them is my wife having one during delivery.

Hot horse. Stiff back. I find the best way to avoid being tossed off a horse is to never get on one. Only time I find it slightly acceptable to never “saddle back up and get back on that horse” is when it’s literal.

Marky Mark I’ve embraced the 5am morning run. My RP has to get home for breakfast, and it started as me joining him for runs because “I’m up anyways” and grew into “It’s really convenient to have my long run completed before breakfast.” I don’t like pushing back breakfast. 2:30 am was nice in that I was done AND got my quiet morning time. Heck, around 6am I was thinking “where is everyone? Burning….oh it’s only me who has been up for 3 hours.”

Wife bought me the Fenix 6 for Christmas. I agree it’s overkill for a lot of things. I strongly enjoy the battery life. Pretty sure I had it last a full 7 days of wearing without doing the Pulse Ox thing at night. I’m going to safely assume I’m acclimated for my elevation.

I completely suggest you do the 60km. It’s actually enjoyable in a “this is just a 5 hour long run” sort of way. Oh great….100 person limits will make the less possible. I never understood the limits on ultra marathons since they are socially distanced by nature. Including at aid stations. Less than 100 people there FOR SURE.

Zeb Did you ever get a new watch? Mine almost died during CIM and I 100% attribute it to me “short charging” it. 40% battery life before a workout? Better charge it so it’s full and doesn’t die on my 1 hour run.

Fred I believe my Garmin Fenix uses it’s internal barometer to calculate elevation, and then calculates ascent/descent based on the barometric pressure loss/gain. A friend with a Fenix 3 will have random runs where it says he is at 65,000 ft until he cleans the watch. I noticed one of his runs had a 100 ft elevation difference for an out and back run. He soaked the watch in soapy water and it seems to fix it every time.

CFarr those long runs are getting longer and longer. Feels good doesn’t it?

Piwi what GoPro do you have? You should post more photos from surfing. I once wanted to be a surfer, but didn’t want to wake up and drive to the ocean, and none of my friends surfed. Rough crowd to break into. At least where I was trying to surf without knowing anyone. As for boosters, depends on the state and the Center for Disease Control has said you’re “vaccinated” if you have the original shots, and are “up to date” if you have the vaccine booster shot. It’s complicated. We don’t have passports, probably never will, and businesses where I’m at care more about your money than you wearing a mask. Enforcement for the mask mandates is lacking and businesses are slowly realizing they WON’T be shut down. 33% positivity rate currently. I keep waiting for more stimulus money and businesses to be closed to stop the spread, BUT I keep being denied happiness. It fixed it the first 20 months so I’m not sure why it won’t fix anything now.

Steve I think you need to pick a different marathon. Seriously man, you have the absolute WORST luck with that race. Just fly to California in December and run CIM with others.

Treadmill running I started running on treadmills before being a “GPS runner” and just used the distance on the machine. It works for world record holders and my friend who “calibrated” his watch to the local track regular runs farther than me when we run together for the exact same run. Oddly, my RP has opted for the treadmill more often, and has begun running faster outside. I call him on it and I think he enjoys the faster feel, and I take a little credit for breaking him out of his slower longer run pace when I’d join him and push him during CIM training, without knowing I’m pushing him.

James are you part Engineer? 4% speed measurement of the treadmill accuracy? WOW!

CC perhaps the brick Garmin can make a comeback for your upcoming race. The emergency could be your primary watch running out of battery life. I gave an Epson watch I was given to a friend. If you want I could mail you a Garmin 410 and/or a 235 I’ll probably never use again. With chargers and possibly the heart rate strap. I don’t know anyone I could GIVE them to.

I use coconut oil to make eggs in the morning. Who knew coconuts were so awesome? A 50k in 6 hours is really really great.

Jeff 7 half marathons in 7 days in 7 states? SHEESH! Those must be some of the small East Coast states because the traveling logistics on the West Coast would be killer.

Keen only thing I might suggest is a Hoo Rag with the fleece attached to it. Might be overkill for you, and I just embraced the cold. The frost from the breath is part of the reason I kinda stopped wearing face coverings. Actually, I bought most of mine pre-COVID to wear FOR keeping my face warm in winter. Have you considered doubling it up/folding it in half to wear? I’m also in a dry state with 20ish percent humidity.

Flavio you were having trouble STANDING? Wow! I know some people in my office use standing desks however; they’re NOT standing for 2 hours.

Keen you must either fold in half, or have REALLY tall doors to do pullups in them. Hashbrown…lmao!

Watson good news about the fire. There was another one in Big Sur, California recently. Small town with a marathon in it and not may options to get in/out. Pretty sure they had a bridge collapse and left it that way to keep tourists out. Until it became really inconvenient for the locals trying to leave.

Hot runs: https://cdapress.com/news/2021/jun/28/ironman-coeur-dalene-records-smashed-course-and-st/

hottest run I’ve ever heard of. Run tempers of 101F (38C) Racers were mixed on “cancel the race” and “you should have trained for this. Adjust your race effort accordingly.”

Piwi I’ll have to post some deer pictures when I see them. Seriously, where I work they walk through town. At home it’s just wild mustangs. My buddy in California likes to say I live in the Wild Wild West.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22