The Waltons aka Advanced Half Marathon Training Thread - 2022 edition (Read 444 times)

Mark yeah I'm not going to get the booster unless I absolutely have to. JTReeves had a bad experience with his.

You can fly domesticaly without a vaccine passport as long as you get a RAT test beforehand.

Steve next Friday is a go. Will need your advice on travel time from Riccarton to your place at 7.30am.

It was so cold this morning I had to wear a t-shirt and my arms and hands still got a bit cold 

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Mark - Hope you don't get the shingles!  Like piwi, I'm holding off until I really have to, which will be the June 1 vaccine passport expiry.  I'll probably have had Omicron by then anyway, not that natural immunity will make us immune from being controlled by then.

piwi - Traffic has been very light this week, but it's possible it will pick up next week with school back.  20 minutes will be more than enough time I'd say.

My motivation has taken a hit this week, almost feel like I should accept the inevitable and change my training to focus on a half in 4 weeks but I'll hang in there with the bigger miles for now.  The Motorway half, as the name suggests, is not the nicest course although it does start and finish on a track in a stadium.  9am start in the middle of summer isn't ideal.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

darkwave

Mother of Cats

It was so cold this morning I had to wear a t-shirt and my arms and hands still got a bit cold 

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

BTW, for those of you waiting in suspense (likely nobody), I went ahead and got the shot (actually a set of shots).  Very easy and quick - I drove there, they injected some local anesthetic, and then did a bunch of injections (it felt like) of the corticosteroid Betamethasone on either side of my L5 vertebra (a nice side result is that now I know exactly where my L5 is).

Hurt less than the flu shot, and only took about 2 minutes for the injections themselves.  So far more pleasant than racing the 800m (not that I've ever done that).  The worst part was the 10 minutes beforehand where I was waiting in a cold examination room with my pants pulled down and my partially exposed rear sticking into the air.

I was slightly weak and wobbly in the legs immediately after, in the same way I feel when I start running, so I thought that was a real positive.  In my experience, any time I get an injection (I've done a lot of PRP and prolo shots) if the injection itself replicates the symptoms, that's a sign we're targeting the right area.

Sat in the waiting room for 15 minutes per instruction, and then drove home.  My back is ever so slightly sore now, but I've had worse muscle soreness from a yoga class.  And sitting at our kitchen island is much more comfortable than it has been in the past.

I'm cleared to do anything I want tomorrow, including faster running (caveat - if I swim I have to use a water-tight bandage where I was injected).  I am supposed to carefully document how I feel over the next 2-3 weeks and then I'll have a follow-up appointment to discuss.  If I see some significant improvement, that's really helpful information.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Marky_Mark_17

Darkwave - fingers crossed for some improvement!  Sounds like you're more comfortable already.

Piwi / Steve - honestly I would've stalled on my booster as well, but for the fact I'd rather not catch Omicron.  Personally I'm not that worried about it as it seems generally very mild and the earlier vaccinations will reduce severity of any symptoms... but my dad has a lung condition (i.e. he's high risk), plus the isolation rules might result in me not being to race if I caught it prior to a race. 

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

darkwave - Great news that you're seeing improvements already.  Extra marks for the "butt in the air" quote.

Mark - I'm also very keen to not get it or be a close contact.  Like you, I'm not scared of the virus, but having to isolate for up to 24 days would be horrific.  To be honest, I'll stick Strava on private and not do it.  Of course I'd avoid shopping or crowds though.  If I thought the booster made much difference in getting it or not, I'd get the booster.  My friends in Melbourne had it this week.  Not the healthiest people, but they got over it within 72 hours.  It was like a heavy cold for them which is worse than I've heard from others.

For those overseas shocked that "someone went to a bar" 2 weeks ago is breaking news, a large Department Store in Christchurch called Ballantynes is closing for 4 days due to 4 cases in the whole city.  Four.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Darkwave, hilarious the freezing guy and your partially exposed rear in the air  Hope you feel better and back to normal soon.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

DW - hopefully the shots help.

While lying on that table did you start wondering if maybe you stumbled upon a local BDSM parlour by mistake ? 

Caitlin - awesome week and long run

Zeb - I’m mostly passing along what I’ve heard from coaches before so don’t take my word either Big grin

Your covid week looks much better than mine

Keen - That looks like the recovery is about complete

Steve - hopefully they find a way to go ahead. Either way you’re having a solid training block so far, I reckon you could just as easily switch gears and have a few weeks at half marathon training to try for a PR.

Piwi - I'm in no hurry for the booster either seeing as I'm double vaxxed and I actually caught it and it was worse than a strong cold I hope I am overflowing in antibodies right now.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

I can tell it has been years since I swam shoulders and back were killing me for a few days after my first swim last week. I managed to get back in on Wednesday and came away a little less sore but sore again nonetheless.  Hopefully I'll stick with it and develop some better strength in my arms shoulders and back.

Lots of posting on here a lot to catch up on

hope everyone is doing well.

PR's

1m  5:38 (2018)

5k    19:59 (2019)

HM  1:33:56 (2018)

FM  3:23:07 (2018)

DW ccoakley Zebano Keen Rune nice week by all

RP yes I trying to push the long runs to regain my endurance speed will come later.

all those in the northeast take care in the snow Big winter storm coming.

PR's

1m  5:38 (2018)

5k    19:59 (2019)

HM  1:33:56 (2018)

FM  3:23:07 (2018)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Darkwave - fingers crossed for some improvement!  Sounds like you're more comfortable already.

Piwi / Steve - honestly I would've stalled on my booster as well, but for the fact I'd rather not catch Omicron.  Personally I'm not that worried about it as it seems generally very mild and the earlier vaccinations will reduce severity of any symptoms... but my dad has a lung condition (i.e. he's high risk), plus the isolation rules might result in me not being to race if I caught it prior to a race. 

Dude, getting Omicron is so common in England now...it’s similar to a cold or nothing at all.

The funny thing is that almost all my wife’s friends have had it (and they’re triple vaccinated) so getting vaccinated to reduce the spread is a myth, which leads onto vaccine passports which is also BS and all about government control...eg, check out infection rates in France (vaccine passports/mask mandates all of last year) compared to England last year with virtually no restrictions (up to 4 times more positive cases per day)....wakey wakey.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Marky_Mark_17

Dude, getting Omicron is so common in England now...it’s similar to a cold or nothing at all.

Yeah as I said I’m not personally worried about catching it. More just the risk that I might pass it on to my dad or end up missing races.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Yeah as I said I’m not personally worried about catching it. More just the risk that I might pass it on to my dad or end up missing races.

Just curious, have you ever heard of Stockholm Syndrome?

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Marky_Mark_17

Just curious, have you ever heard of Stockholm Syndrome?

It was a song by Muse from when they were actually good (that was quite a while ago).

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

It was a song by Muse from when they were actually good (that was quite a while ago).

I’ve seen Muse a couple of times in London and they are massively loud. 👍

What are your thoughts on Piwi’s wife losing her job because she decided not to be vaccinated. Do you think your government was right in doing that?