The Waltons aka Advanced Half Marathon Training Thread - 2022 edition (Read 444 times)

Mikkey good to hear what's actually happening in the real world. My wife's employer put their own mandate on their workers which sucked.

Corey nice job on the swimming. Maybe you need to ease into it similar to run/walk. You could do sink/swim 

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Marky_Mark_17

I’ve seen Muse a couple of times in London and they are massively loud. 👍

What are your thoughts on Piwi’s wife losing her job because she decided not to be vaccinated. Do you think your government was right in doing that?

They’ve toured here a few times back when we had that kinda stuff. Think I’ve seen them 3 times now? The best show was on the back of Black Holes and Revelations.

I don’t think vaccinations should be required for most jobs and I said so at the time. If the vaccine is such a good idea then you shouldn’t need to compel people to get it in backhanded ways like our government did. IMO it should be no different to the flu vaccine in that regard.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Marky_Mark_17

Also, while we are putting the boot into the NZ government, today we heard about a pregnant NZ woman who can't get back into NZ as the government won't give her an emergency MIQ spot.  She actually got more help from the Taliban.  No, I am not making this up.

MIQ is basically a means of border control to limit the number of people coming into the country.  In case they have Covid.  Which we already have anyway, in all the popular varieties.  It made sense in March 2020 when we could stamp it out... 2 years later it's actually getting beyond ridiculous as many NZers (around 1 million live overseas compared with 5 million in NZ) are effectively blocked from returning to their own country.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

The only way I can explain the 2020 election is Stockholm Syndrome.  The worst, most incompetent government in our history wins in a landslide after being behind in the polls in January 2020 just before this all began.

The border is a disgrace, illegal and immoral.  It's really sad what has become of our country.  Mark I agree 100% with your vaccine position.  "2 shots for summer" was the carrot, including getting musicians on board to promote the message so all the festivals and gigs could go ahead.  Those musicians are now being forced to cancel every gig.  I feel for them in some ways, but also think they were naïve to believe a word this government says.

I'm winding up into full rant mode so I should probably stop....personally, losing another marathon, as I expect to happen in a week or so, is a pretty big blow.  Today on my long run I had 10km to go and my legs were more tired than usual at that point, and I strongly considered cutting it short "the race isn't happening anyway" but I decided to dig in in the off chance.  Lack of motivation is hitting me and I would guess a whole lot of people across the country.

I did mention my long run in this post so I think it counts as running...

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024 1:27:34

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Marky_Mark_17

The only way I can explain the 2020 election is Stockholm Syndrome.  The worst, most incompetent government in our history wins in a landslide after being behind in the polls in January 2020 just before this all began.

It seriously was Stockholm Syndrome though.  The usually incompetent government actually did a reasonable job around Covid initially.  That, combined with some Ministry and media fearmongering (and a pretty useless opposition) meant that people were very afraid of any change in the 2020 election and stuck with the incumbents.  Since then they've gone from incompetent to worse.  I think we are all in need of a rant about that.

Anyways good job digging it in on your long run Steve (seriously, not just for the sake of putting something running related in my post).  I'm glad smaller races can still go ahead with wave starts as that's keeping me going, but it'll be nice to get the big events back.  Mentally I know (or at least hope) we will be through this in a few months, but as usual it's frustrating when there's basically no point to these restrictions other than an assertion of government control.

The current stupidity has led to all the water fountains being turned off in the city IN THE MIDDLE OF SUMMER.  Apparently the council are worried about people catching Covid off water fountains, I wonder if this is like when people thought you could catch AIDS off a toilet seat?!?!  Luckily there is a slightly 'off the grid' water fountain on my usual long run route that has escaped the stupidity (so far).

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

It seriously was Stockholm Syndrome though.  The usually incompetent government actually did a reasonable job around Covid initially.  That, combined with some Ministry and media fearmongering (and a pretty useless opposition) meant that people were very afraid of any change in the 2020 election and stuck with the incumbents.  Since then they've gone from incompetent to worse.  I think we are all in need of a rant about that.

Anyways good job digging it in on your long run Steve (seriously, not just for the sake of putting something running related in my post).  I'm glad smaller races can still go ahead with wave starts as that's keeping me going, but it'll be nice to get the big events back.  Mentally I know (or at least hope) we will be through this in a few months, but as usual it's frustrating when there's basically no point to these restrictions other than an assertion of government control.

The current stupidity has led to all the water fountains being turned off in the city IN THE MIDDLE OF SUMMER.  Apparently the council are worried about people catching Covid off water fountains, I wonder if this is like when people thought you could catch AIDS off a toilet seat?!?!  Luckily there is a slightly 'off the grid' water fountain on my usual long run route that has escaped the stupidity (so far).

I actually disagree they did a good job early in Covid. They went ‘hard and early’ well after it was obvious what was happening. Bloomfield (who unfortunately is now as much of a political stooge as Fauci) threatened to resign if they didn’t cancel the March 15 Ardern promotion (my sources on this are impeccable).

Closing water fountains when we keep hearing it’s an airborne virus…quality. Logic has disappeared. My neighbour isn’t allowed to watch her son play school cricket in a huge outdoor area.

Hopefully all your races go ahead.  And hopefully ChCh finds a way to go ahead in June rather than spring. I think cumulative fatigue hit me today, it got real tough from quite early and reminded me how hard the next 8 weeks or so will/might be. I’ve had a long stretch of big weeks, and one more before a down week. I may request to bring that down week forward, depending on how I pull up.

2024 Races:

Mark/Steve im with you guys. I'm over the ridiculous measures to stop a cold virus. Breaking news today 11 new Omicron cases....yawn.

Steve luckily I'm motivated by fitness first. If you can change your mindset to I do this to keep healthy and mentally sane, then racing is less important.

Looking forward to catching up on Friday.

Today my running mate had a workout planned for us 7 x 1.5kms @threshold with 40 secs recovery. It seemed a bit much and he has more base mileage than me right now.

Anyway he was blowing fairly hard after 3 😁 so we called it at 5. I actually felt pretty sweet. Pace was about 4.10/km/6.40 /mile.

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Piwi - Nice workout and takedown of your mate. If I do choose a down week, our run may drop to 8-10, hope that’s okay. Thankfully it’s an easy run so you don’t take me down.

I do agree that fitness, both physical and mental, is the main reason to do this. I exchanged messages with Oska this week to get his read on the plans for ChCh and part of his response included ‘training is the fun part, racing is the cream’. Pretty cool from the local elite. Having said that, I’ve had my first marathon cancelled already so it’s getting harder to not focus on the cream!

2024 Races:

Marky_Mark_17

Hopefully all your races go ahead.  And hopefully ChCh finds a way to go ahead in June rather than spring. I think cumulative fatigue hit me today, it got real tough from quite early and reminded me how hard the next 8 weeks or so will/might be. I’ve had a long stretch of big weeks, and one more before a down week. I may request to bring that down week forward, depending on how I pull up.

I'd be keen to come down and do it if it's back to the June date.

One thing I would've done differently in 2020 when my marathon date kept getting pushed out would have been to have more down weeks.  I basically just kept on plugging away at it which was not the right approach and I ended up getting overtrained.  I should have thrown some lighter weeks in there to refresh the body (and the mind, tbh).

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

I'm not going to get into what's reasonable as a Covid precaution, nor will I argue with or try to persuade those with other views, nor will I tell people what they should do.  Here in the States people are still dying at the rate of 2,500 a day, most of them among the more vulnerable population.  People infected with omicron can be contagious, and thus spreading the disease, for as much as two days before they have any symptoms.  Since I have two parents, a wife, and a son among the more vulnerable population, I cannot take it as lightly as others here may feel able to do and I'm thankful for those who make personal decisions that help keep everyone safer.

In running news (since this is a running board), it was 20º with 25 mph winds gusting to 35 mph with a few inches of snow already on the ground when I went out for five miles with my Yaktrax strapped to my shoes.  The hardest going was uphill where the extra weight from the spikes plus the slick footing made it hard to maintain any kind of pace, but it sure required effort (as did running on the few streets that hadn't been plowed yet).  Just over 5 miles for me on hills and at a very slow average pace.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
                      10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27; Spring Distance Classic 5k, 4/28

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Fred - Absolutely you should do what makes sense for you and take every precaution you need to.  That's how anyone who is vulnerable or closely connected to vulnerable people should handle this.  I think our issue is that we don't have that choice and are forced into doing things which have been proven ineffective and have potentially serious side effects.  And I don't just mean the vaccine, I mean the many many businesses that are going to the wall, mental health etc etc etc

That sounds like a pretty stressful run but great effort getting out there.  I think that's why I'm not the biggest fan of trail running - at least 50% of the time I'm happy not to overly concentrate and just run.

2024 Races:

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Fred - Absolutely you should do what makes sense for you and take every precaution you need to.  That's how anyone who is vulnerable or closely connected to vulnerable people should handle this.  I think our issue is that we don't have that choice and are forced into doing things which have been proven ineffective and have potentially serious side effects.  And I don't just mean the vaccine, I mean the many many businesses that are going to the wall, mental health etc etc etc

That sounds like a pretty stressful run but great effort getting out there.  I think that's why I'm not the biggest fan of trail running - at least 50% of the time I'm happy not to overly concentrate and just run.

Thanks, Steve.  I certainly get needing to vent about the restrictions you have to deal with.  The run wasn't really stressful because there were hardly and cars out, so I had the streets pretty much to myself - not something I'd want to do often, but when it's once in a while it's an adventure.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
                          10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27; Spring Distance Classic 5k, 4/28

My week pretty good but missing a long run due to going kayakfishing instead.

Weekly for period: From: 24/01/2022 To 30/01/2022

Date Name mi km Duration Avg/mi Avg/km Elevation Gain
                            in m
                            24/01 Morning Run 5.66 9.11 00:46:45 08:16 05:08 15
                            24/01 Afternoon Run with Grayson 3.12 5.02 00:24:34 07:52 04:54 0
                            25/01 Morning Run 6.23 10.02 00:51:13 08:13 05:07 8
                            26/01 Morning Run with 5k faster bit 5.72 9.21 00:42:38 07:27 04:38 5
                            27/01 Morning Run 5.60 9.02 00:44:43 07:59 04:57 21
                            28/01 Morning Run 6.23 10.02 00:52:06 08:22 05:12 8
                            29/01 Warmup 1.55 2.49 00:13:54 08:58 05:35 0
                            29/01 5x1.5kms with Jacques 8.09 13.01 00:59:50 07:24 04:36 7
                            29/01 Evening Run 3.14 5.05 00:26:45 08:31 05:18 2

Total distance: 72.95km

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

piwi - Nice solid week.  Kayaking is a pretty good substitute for the long run.

My week was good, continuing to increase mileage, which has been the trend for about 8 weeks now.  I'm due one more big week before a down week.  Yesterday I said I might bring the down week forward, but I've pulled up well.  Probably shouldn't make that decision after a long run when I'm still feeling it.  The long progression was a pretty tough one with a long stretch of work.  There was also supposed to be a 2km block @ 4:30/km to finish but I was feeling the beginnings of cramp and had already dug pretty deep so I kept it easy to finish.

The decision on the race could come any day now, so the second that comes in I'll get my coach to update the training.  I think the best case scenario is a new date in June.

in m
                              24/01 Warm up 0.29 0.46 00:02:59 10:17 06:29 0
                              24/01 70 mins easy pace 8.83 14.20 01:10:05 07:56 04:56 19
                              24/01 Strides 0.74 1.20 00:05:55 08:00 04:56 0
                              26/01 Warm up 0.29 0.47 00:02:47 09:36 05:55 0
                              26/01 Med-Long incl. 30 mins hill/bridge repeats 10.00 16.09 01:19:08 07:55 04:55 126
                              27/01 Recovery 6.64 10.68 00:56:47 08:33 05:19 22
                              28/01 Warm up 0.29 0.47 00:02:46 09:32 05:53 0
                              28/01 Easy 12km 7.50 12.06 01:00:23 08:03 05:00 11
                              28/01 Strides 0.75 1.21 00:05:56 07:55 04:54 0
                              29/01 Warm up 0.32 0.52 00:03:10 09:54 06:05 0
                              29/01 Long progression (8km @ 4:50/km, 8km @ 4:40/km, 2km @ 4:30/km) 20.01 32.20 02:36:02 07:48 04:51 18
                              30/01 Recovery 4.04 6.51 00:36:27 09:01 05:36 10

Total distance: 96.06km

2024 Races:

Marky_Mark_17

Fred - I think Steve summed it up pretty well.  We all get that there's a need to protect the vulnerable, our issue is with our government putting in silly restrictions in a knee-jerk way that don't actually achieve anything and cause all sorts of other problems (and in the case of the border and preventing NZ residents from returning, are actually illegal).

I personally really love it when it's very quiet out and I have the streets to myself.  Occasionally I'll wander off into daydreams about what if it's the zombie apocalypse or something.

Piwi - good week even in the absence of a long run!

Steve - really nice week. Your body will tell you when you need a down week. Thought I might pip you this week but not quite!

Me - got my booster Thursday and felt pretty average until Sunday morning.  Last time it was about 24 hours or so until I felt good, this time more like 2.5 days.  Anyway, lots of complaining this week, it was stupidly humid again through the middle of the week, and I've already expressed my views about the council's idiotic decision to turn off all the water fountains.  Fortunately there is one "off the grid" water fountain that I can hit on my long runs both out and back, and it seems like while the water fountains are off, others taps and outdoor showers etc. are still on so at least there's still a few ways of cooling down.

TBH I may consider looking at a hydration pack as there is some great trail running at Riverhead Forest which is only 20 minutes drive from my house.  A few of my clubmates have been suggesting a group session out there, might be fun to check out.

Anyways next week will probably be a bit lighter as Run Devonport 10km is on Monday Feb 7 which is a public holiday here in NZ.  Probably pretty normal during the week and then a bit lighter Sat/Sun.  Like Orewa, it's a fairly slow course but it'll be nice to race.

in m
                                24/01 That run where the red light crashed the party 3.47 5.59 00:26:00 07:30 04:39 6
                                25/01 That run where Bomb Point now has a windsock 9.08 14.61 01:01:40 06:47 04:13 113
                                26/01 That run where I’d love to know which idiot at Auckland Council decided it was a good idea to turn off EVERY SINGLE WATER FOUNTAIN ON TAMAKI DRIVE IN THE MIDDLE OF SUMMER 13.06 21.01 01:22:37 06:20 03:56 37
                                27/01 That run where a solitary piece of packaging material drifted across the infield 8.73 14.05 00:55:25 06:21 03:57 82
                                29/01 That run where the booster vaccination gave me a really sore armpit 8.76 14.10 00:53:32 06:07 03:48 77
                                30/01 That run where I have no idea why you’d turn the water fountain off, but leave the tap underneath it on, because then everyone just drinks from the tap 15.55 25.01 01:48:59 07:01 04:21 243

Total distance: 94.37km

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"