The Waltons aka Advanced Half Marathon Training Thread - 2022 edition (Read 444 times)

That's over 80kms so you have satisfied those of us who are metric 

All easy miles last week but 49.96 miles for the week.  Would have been my first 50 mile week in several years.  Ironically, I couldn't get my watch started at the beginning of yesterday's run and ended up with 6.98 instead of a little over 7...probably would have made the difference!  What I would do with the extra 0.04...

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Keen to hear what you think of them.  I've got the Pro 2, which I haven't tried yet (got them on sale... they'll replace my NB Fuelcell TC's at some point in the not-too-distant future).

hopefully it will be a good review.. I expect them Wednesday so likely Thursday will be my first run in them.

PR's

1m  5:38 (2018)

5k    19:59 (2019)

HM  1:33:56 (2018)

FM  3:23:07 (2018)

zebano

Thank you, JD has some freakish workouts, I see Jmac killing himself at every 5k training block, something stupid like 7x1200 at 5k pace. But because Jmac is running close to 16 minutes for a 5k, it makes sense FOR HIM.

We have not discussed that vo2max is genetic, but thank you for bringing it up, this will catch flames like there's no tomorrow and my/our thread shall rule them all 😈

FWIW, I think vo2 max really improves your fitness, it might not improve your vo2max, but it will improve the % of vo2max that you can use at 5k pace.

That's a good take on the vo2 work. I've never seen a 7x1200 or anyting like that, just lots and lots of 5x1k and 4x1200 but I assume I did the lower mileage plans and JMac did the "Please kill me" plan.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

cc4life07

Wind is not my friend.

I guess I’ll take it. Never really look at my watch as far as distance until I’m done. Run more for time nowadays (although I always know the approx distance). 

Need some new shoes soon.  Never could get into anything New Balance. Currently doing some rotations between Brooks and Hoka.

That's over 80kms so you have satisfied those of us who are metric 

"Current" PRs

5K - 18:00 (4/19)   |   HM - 1:19:28 (4/22)

Next Race: A 5K of some sort (Goal: Sub 17:30)

Running Problem

Problem Child

That's a good take on the vo2 work. I've never seen a 7x1200 or anyting like that, just lots and lots of 5x1k and 4x1200 but I assume I did the lower mileage plans and JMac did the "Please kill me" plan.

It’s actually titled ‘Hey Watch This!’ but he spells it A-B-C-X-Y-Z, or R-S-T-L-N-E, or something along those lines.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Corey - Thanks. I see you’re back to some consistency now which is great.

Arunnerd - I’ll interpret that as you’re jealous that the superman costume is already taken. By the way, I don’t mean to be a party pooper, but the fairy costume was also already taken by Mark. So yeah, maybe try Robin

RP - That’s because it’s exactly the Hanson’s workouts Big grin

You can definitely run sub 19, but I’ll let you do your thing where you doubt yourself very much then destroy it all on race day.

Also, if you’re ankle is bothering you, maybe take it easy for a bit.

Keen - To be fair I don’t know if there is any treatment that would make it go any faster, but yeah It’d have been nice to be able to chat to a doctor and get informed, at least so I didn’t freak out as much.

You seem to be almost back your monster weeklies which is a great sign.

Caitlin - added your races.

Zeb - I'm hereby formally announcing that I'm no longer a member of the Oreo fan club. In fact, I've resigned my lifetime position as a Nutella fan as well. From now on it's only one portion of candy per week.

me - I was thinking of going for a run today, but it was raining and cold LOL I'm on that Piwi lifestyle except instead of surfing waves I surf the internet 😂

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

darkwave

Mother of Cats

CC I honestly don't know if I get a  boost. I've probably expected more from the "sea level boost" while at the same time benefited from it. Perhaps I benefit from it more in longer races. I do recall going on a long run at sea level a few years ago and when my wife asked about it I said "well I ran faster than usual, and I don't feel like it was any harder." Maybe it's because I only RACE at sea level I don't see much benefit. I'm capable of sandbagging at sea level even if my race history doesn't show it. Oddly, my 5k PR 19:34 time was at sea level, and I was expecting it to be MUCH faster. I was actually hoping to break 19 so it would point to a sub 3 much more than it did. It still sucked, and it was still a PR. It just didn't seem like there was much "sea level benefit" or perhaps I was expecting much more.

A few thoughts:

1) you are doing all of your training at altitude, which means that you are limited in how much you can work on your leg speed.  I'm no expert in altitude training, but I understand that's why elite runners don't spend all their time at altitude - they either go up there for a period and then back down, or they sleep high/train low.

2) you don't race 5Ks very often.  It's a distance that really benefits from practice.

Re: VO2Max - Jack Daniels distinguishes between VO2Max and vVO2Max - the latter is the combination of VO2Max and running efficiency.    Which does support the idea that VO2Max intervals are about improving your ability to run at VO2Max.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

zebano

Zeb - I'm hereby formally announcing that I'm no longer a member of the Oreo fan club. In fact, I've resigned my lifetime position as a Nutella fan as well. From now on it's only one portion of candy per week.

me - I was thinking of going for a run today, but it was raining and cold LOL I'm on that Piwi lifestyle except instead of surfing waves I surf the internet 😂

Say it ain't so!

Does surfing RA count as running? Asking for a friend.  Get out there and run

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Man, miss a couple of days and pay the price.  Whoosh, so much to read.

Welcome Fred, a 2000 mile year sure sounds serious to me.  You, me, and CC0 appear to be running similar paces.  If the rest of them run off and leave us we will just hang back and talk about them.  I've seen pictures of what some of them wear, and well....

Yeah - it's going to take me a while to get used to a forum so active.  No offense intended when I don't reply to everything.  Good to know I'm not alone at the rear of the pack.

RP - Fortunately, my town is mostly on a grid layout and the cul-de-sacs are generally not more than 100 - 200 yards long.

Tuesday is normally track day for me but my chest still felt a bit congested this morning from the cold I caught late last week, so I decided not to push my luck with a high intensity track workout in 20º weather. Instead, I waited for midday and went out for an easy run of 7½ miles, about what I would have gotten with the track workout. The bonus was the sun was shining for the first time in over a week so I got close to 80 minutes of welcome exposure to bright sunlight.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
                    10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: RunAPalooza (Asbury Park) HM, 4/6; Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27

Running Problem

Problem Child

2) you don't race 5Ks very often.  It's a distance that really benefits from practice.

This is probably the number 1 reason I don't have a very fast 5k time. I've spent all my energy doing distance runs where speed is not the same. The 5k is pretty much a "pick a time and go for it" race for me.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Marky_Mark_17

Need some new shoes soon.  Never could get into anything New Balance. Currently doing some rotations between Brooks and Hoka.

I’d never tried Hoka until I checkout the Rincon as a substitute for the Saucony Kinvara (which got screwed up horribly with the v12). Really good shoe albeit the sole seems to be wearing relatively quickly.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

cc4life07

Wind is not my friend.

Yeah I think they are great shoes but definitely more for a good road race or training session. Can’t last for long in higher mileage. Although ill try other shoes, only shoes I absolutely can’t stand are altras.

I’d never tried Hoka until I checkout the Rincon as a substitute for the Saucony Kinvara (which got screwed up horribly with the v12). Really good shoe albeit the sole seems to be wearing relatively quickly.

"Current" PRs

5K - 18:00 (4/19)   |   HM - 1:19:28 (4/22)

Next Race: A 5K of some sort (Goal: Sub 17:30)

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Zeb - Does surfing on RA count as cross training though ?

Fred - I believe sun light helps with ones mood, it’s always nice to have it. 

One of the biggest changes when moving to Europe though was that it’s further from the Equator and unless it’s the peak of summer I can generally be on the sun and not immediately turn into a red ball after only 15 minutes.

Cul-de-sac is a very funny word.

RP - IIRC you were quite out of breath at the end of that 5k, but still I’m guessing sub 19 is a given with the fitness gained in the last few months.

Cc4 - what’s wrong with Altras LOL Is it the zero drop or the super wide shape? I can only run in Altras mostly because they are literally the only brand that fits my duck feet.

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Oh, something else. I've been monitoring my blood pressure since August. It was completely normal until covid hit. Then it spiked to 150x90 during the infection. Today it's finally back to normal, and today is also the first day that I tested negative.

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Fred - I believe sun light helps with ones mood, it’s always nice to have it. 

One of the biggest changes when moving to Europe though was that it’s further from the Equator and unless it’s the peak of summer I can generally be on the sun and not immediately turn into a red ball after only 15 minutes.

I agree completely on the sun's mood-lifting benefits.

I remember a year I visited my grandmother in Germany for Christmas.  It felt like we had less than 8 hours of sun those days.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
                                10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: RunAPalooza (Asbury Park) HM, 4/6; Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27