The Waltons aka Advanced Half Marathon Training Thread - 2022 edition (Read 444 times)

zebano

I supplement vit D in the winter. The lack of sunlight is huge both for mood and IME health.

Flavio  glad the BP is back to normal. Your question about xtraining got me thinking about my son. We were playing table tennis yesterday when I commented that his hand-eye coordination had majorly improved. Without batting an eye he told me it was "all the videogames".

Mark What happened with the Kinvara 12s? I'm still running my easy days in some 11s and my main concern right now is that the sole doesn't look thick enough to turn them into screw shoes.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

cc4life07

Wind is not my friend.

I gave them a fair shake (don't remember a model though).  Put 200+ miles in them but I'm going to guess the problem was the shape.  Zero drop isn't ideal to me but whenever I hit the ground, I like my toes to be next to each other and not spreading out to separate ends of the sidewalk.

Cc4 - what’s wrong with Altras LOL Is it the zero drop or the super wide shape? I can only run in Altras mostly because they are literally the only brand that fits my duck feet.

"Current" PRs

5K - 18:00 (4/19)   |   HM - 1:19:28 (4/22)

Next Race: A 5K of some sort (Goal: Sub 17:30)

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

I gave them a fair shake (don't remember a model though).  Put 200+ miles in them but I'm going to guess the problem was the shape.  Zero drop isn't ideal to me but whenever I hit the ground, I like my toes to be next to each other and not spreading out to separate ends of the sidewalk.

Your feet are very likely narrow. My feet are in between wide and extra wide.

Altras are a life saver both 2 reasons. First, they're the only brand making wide lasts for normal running shoes (There's the minimalist brands but I can't run in those). And second, my feet are SUPER high volume, I have gigantic arches, and some Altra shoes work with that as well.

Feet Width

Foot Volume

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Oakley - I just had the perception that I was "hardly running" last week, and what mileage I got was higher than I figured. I got covid post CIM (wouldn't have known without a test) and the doc gave me some antibiotics as a hedge against a possible side infection. Those things always tank my running ability (no capacity beyond "easy" and endurance really suffers) for two weeks until they're out of my system, and that two weeks ended on Thursday. I'll get back to the mileage soon!

CC4 - Don't dare insult Altras! You'll have Flavio and me to answer to if this behavior continues.

Flavio - Glad the BP is shaping up. Now that you mention it, DWs was also elevated when she had covid (mine was normal).
          I managed to get a couple pairs of escalante racers on "clearance" thanks to my oddly-sized feet. I do miss the days of nearly 1/2 price, 1/2 generation behind escalantes. Those have certainly dried up this year.

Zebano - I'm with you on the vitamin D all around. I'm *just* south of the maximum latitude to be able to get a semi-acceptable amount of vitamin D in winter, but that's confounded by clouds and cold temps (I'm not going outside shirtless when it's 30* and windy). I do supplement with vitamin D nearly half the year as well.

Did my first "workout" in a long time this morning, and it SUCKED. 5x 3 minutes medium/hard/easy. Naturally I was slower for all than I would have liked, but my "medium" and "hard" were essentially the same after the first rep or two. Oh, well. Hopefully this knocks some rust off and paves the way for things to come.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

cc4life07

Wind is not my friend.

Insult Altras?  Never!  They just aren't for mere mortals like myself...

CC4 - Don't dare insult Altras! You'll have Flavio and me to answer to if this behavior continues.

Keen - First workouts after a while usually suck no matter what they are...especially if they are in race form so at least it wasn't that!  Here's hoping that workout #2 and 3 go better.

"Current" PRs

Zeb playing table tennis 🏓  and without batting an eyelid, nice pun !

My youngest and I used to play. He was really good which was surprising as his fine motor skills are very poor. Well he was good until you went to a tournament and Korean kids who started when they are 3 and practice every day, played against him 🙄

Flavio glad to hear you are recovering. It feels like when is  covid gonna get me, 😫 as we know it's impossible to avoid.

I have too much vitamin D right now so will send some over to you guys 

People definitely get more depressed in winter. This is when I enjoy running the most as it forces me outside when normally I would probably just sit on the couch.

I can't do altras with zero drop.

Hokas always reminded me of high platform shoes and something The Spice Girls would wear

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

ccoakley

So I don't get the obsession with shoes.  My dad ran in Asics so when I started 20+ yrs ago that's what he got me and they worked well so I've stuck with them all these years, specifically the cumulus.  I've been to running stores a few times and been evaluated but I'm always neutral and they never really try to hard to steer me elsewhere.  I also have very long narrow feet for what it's worth.  I wear a female 11 1/2 What am I missing?  Why do so many of you seem to have specific shoes that you use for specific workouts?  What does it get you?  I'm really not trying to be flippant, I truly don't understand how a shoe would matter that much.

5k 24:53 (2020) |10k 52:24 (2021) |HM 1:57:14 (2019) |FM 4:24 (2007) |50k 5:57 (2022)

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

So I don't get the obsession with shoes.  My dad ran in Asics so when I started 20+ yrs ago that's what he got me and they worked well so I've stuck with them all these years, specifically the cumulus.  I've been to running stores a few times and been evaluated but I'm always neutral and they never really try to hard to steer me elsewhere.  I also have very long narrow feet for what it's worth.  I wear a female 11 1/2 What am I missing?  Why do so many of you seem to have specific shoes that you use for specific workouts?  What does it get you?  I'm really not trying to be flippant, I truly don't understand how a shoe would matter that much.

For day to day easy running, a heavier but more cushioned shoe is easier on my feet and joints.  A lighter shoe will let me run faster at races, but I don't want to run in it all the time (and the lighter shoes tend to wear out and need replacement more often).   As such, I tend to have at least two types of shoes around at all times (3 if you count my trail shoes), and more if I'm making a transition from one brand/type to another.  I'm not saying that everyone needs to do this, but it answers your question about what it gets me.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
                  10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: RunAPalooza (Asbury Park) HM, 4/6; Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27

Running Problem

Problem Child

cc I started using specific shoes for specific workouts when I found a pair for cheap. I found some lightweight shoes that felt fast and seemed to grip better than the shoes I was running in. I eventually bought the Nike Zoomfly Flyknit for a marathon training cycle and they actually made every workout faster, and took me to a PR. For CIM I bought the Nike Next % with the carbon fiber plate, and I made it 24 miles before I felt fatigued. I'd say the carbon fiber plate allowed me to run faster longer because the spring from plate means I use less energy. It's like driving everywhere in 3rd gear and 2,700 RPMS, and driving in D (overdrive) at 2,000 RPMS. I burn less fuel in overdrive even though I'm still going 70 mph (110km/h?). I have run in topos, altra Instinct and impact 3.0, Nike pegasus (current), New Balance Vazee Pace (first speed workout shoes) and Launch, Hoka Mach 4, Saucony Ride 7, Asics Fuze x Lyte, and they've all worked. Maybe some of it is the shoe feeling much lighter makes running faster feel easier.

Keen Altras are great if you want to feel like Jesus and walk on water. With how wide they are I'm sure you just float over mud puddles. Good job on doing workouts. I've avoided doing workouts because they're not fun. As Bruce and his dingle pooper Kevin would say "No one was having fun having fun anymore."

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

cc4life07

Wind is not my friend.

cc(other one) - I personally was exactly like you.  I ran in Asics from age 15 - 32.  Mostly cumulus.  It wasn't until the last couple years where my friend at a running store got me trying new ones.  I've personally felt there are some heavier shoes that have more cushioning and allow for higher mileage whereas some are lighter and ready for faster times.  I don't think too much into it though.  I haven't worn spikes in years or anything carbon-plated so that's outside my wheelhouse.  I do still run in Asics on occasion but found Brooks comparable version seemed to feel slightly better.

"Current" PRs

zebano

CCOakley you're saving money by ignoring all the shoe options!! That said, I just feel faster in lighter shoes but they beat me up more (exception: carbon plated shoes). Therefor I have a pair for easy running with lots of cushioning, a pair for workouts, a pair for trails (really important on muddy days), an old pair with screws in them for icy winter days, one pair for racing, and often 1 or 2 other pair that I bought but don't love. I also buy shoes before current ones have worn out if I find a deal.

Paging Darkwave to share her amazing shoe collection!

Keen way to break the rust, the hard efforts will improve quickly.

Fred, I saw you had a 5k on the first, how did that go?

Piwi those Korean kids are amazing. I've gone to proper TT clubs and tournaments a couple of times and it's always very humbling. Hmm, not sure if those spice girls are wearing Hokas or the illegal Adidas training shoe?

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

We are a bit spoilt now with shoes. My mate trains and race in only his Kayanos. He takes them well over 600 miles.

I love the fast feeling of light shoes for workouts and races.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Fred, I saw you had a 5k on the first, how did that go?

Thanks for asking.  I came down with a cold on Thursday and was feeling about 70% by Saturday, but ran anyway (if it had been a half, I would have probably passed).  Before I got sick, I was hoping to go sub-24 for only my second time ever, but around the 2½ mile point, I was struggling to keep my pace under 8:00/mile.  I finished in 24:17, which I'm still happy with.  My 15-year-old son, who beat my best mile pace by 40 seconds back on Thanksgiving was also running and he set a new PR at 23:56 and in the process beat my PR, so now he's not only faster than me at the mile, he's faster in a 5k.  I still beat him in a 10k earlier in the fall, but he's still growing stronger and faster from puberty's hormone surge.  On an age-graded basis, though, I have him beat by 7 percentage points.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
                            10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: RunAPalooza (Asbury Park) HM, 4/6; Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27

darkwave

Mother of Cats

For day to day easy running, a heavier but more cushioned shoe is easier on my feet and joints.  A lighter shoe will let me run faster at races, but I don't want to run in it all the time (and the lighter shoes tend to wear out and need replacement more often).   As such, I tend to have at least two types of shoes around at all times (3 if you count my trail shoes), and more if I'm making a transition from one brand/type to another.  I'm not saying that everyone needs to do this, but it answers your question about what it gets me.

I'm similar, but different.  I have issues with high stack shoes, and so I prefer to save them for races.  For easy runs, I prefer very light and flexible shoes - currently I'm doing my easy runs in either the Altra Escalante Racer or the Puma Liberate.

I like rotating a lot of different shoes to vary the stresses on my ankles/feet.  Also, I'm still questing for the perfect shoe since the Adios 2 Boost vanished.

Paging Darkwave to share her amazing shoe collection!

RunningAHEAD - darkwave's log: Equipments List

Of these, I currently use:

• Adidas Adios 2 (non-boost) - treadmill runs (I have a pair of shoes that are treadmill only to extend the life of my treadmill - if you run with dirty shoes on the treadmill, dirt can get into the motor).
                              • Adidas Adios 4 - long runs
                              • Adidas Adios 6 - track workouts
                              • Adidas SL20 - long runs/easy runs
                              • Adidas Sub-2 - long runs
                              • Altra Escalante Racer - easy runs
                              • Puma Liberate Nitro - easy runs

The NB Prism 2 is probably about to be added to the rotation as a long run shoe.  I occasionally do easy runs in the Nike Streak 6.

The others on the list are either for racing, or shoes that I tried and haven't quite decided if/when they work for me.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

I just found out that DD1 has a "stay and play" tournament in Tulsa the same weekend as a race (5k/10k/HM) I'd like to run. And the race and soccer complex are just a mile or so apart. Seems like a great opportunity for a race and an easy cool-down!

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races: