The Waltons aka Advanced Half Marathon Training Thread - 2022 edition (Read 444 times)

ccoakley

Thanks all for the answers.  I get the lighter weight shoe for racing/speed workouts but just thinking about running without cushioning makes my legs hurt.  And I'm still very leery about the carbon plates.  But you've definitely given me something to think about next time I'm shoe shopping in-person and more specific ideas of what to ask a shoe to do.

Fred, super fun that you get to compete against your son!  Really a win-win for you!

DW, that is a lot of shoes!  Keeping track of them might take more time than some people spend running 

Keen, so nice when life works out that way

5k 24:53 (2020) |10k 52:24 (2021) |HM 1:57:14 (2019) |FM 4:24 (2007) |50k 5:57 (2022)

Running Problem

Problem Child

darkwave Do you use these for pool runs? I noticed you didn't specifically mention which pair you used so I guessed.

EDIT: Hey Kiwis....what races are POSSIBLY happening on your island in November? I might have a trip planned, and if there is a race the novelty of racing on a foreign country appeals to me. I see Queenstown Marathon November 19. is it easy to fly from Christchurch to Queenstown?

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

darkwave Do you use these for pool runs? I noticed you didn't specifically mention which pair you used so I guessed.

EDIT: Hey Kiwis....what races are POSSIBLY happening on your island in November? I might have a trip planned, and if there is a race the novelty of racing on a foreign country appeals to me. I see Queenstown Marathon November 19. is it easy to fly from Christchurch to Queenstown?

RP - Yep, I'll be flying from Christchurch to Queenstown on November 18.  I'd make sure you book everything as refundable.  And get on to accommodation asap.  The course probably isn't designed for a PR like CIM and is mostly on trails.  For a bit city marathon I'd recommend Auckland at that time of year, also not the easiest course but probably easier to get in and out of Auckland and find somewhere to stay.  Auckland is great in parts but if you're into the more spectacular parts of NZ then stick with Queenstown.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Running Problem

Problem Child

RP - Yep, I'll be flying from Christchurch to Queenstown on November 18.  I'd make sure you book everything as refundable.  And get on to accommodation asap.  The course probably isn't designed for a PR like CIM and is mostly on trails.  For a bit city marathon I'd recommend Auckland at that time of year, also not the easiest course but probably easier to get in and out of Auckland and find somewhere to stay.  Auckland is great in parts but if you're into the more spectacular parts of NZ then stick with Queenstown.

I thought Queenstown was the one you were racing, if it ever happens again, and I guess I could always hang out with you for the day. I wouldn't do it as a PR. More of a supported long run. Although, CIM IS a month later so training would be pretty much the same time. It looks more like Chicago than CIM. 400 m elevation (1,200 ft) elevation wouldn't be horrible. The humidity might impact me more than elevation, but I'm always willing to suffer for a good story. Travel would be strictly for my brother in law's POTENTIAL wedding. I pretty much told him not to even think about me coming until he has put money down to reserve his venue on the date he wants. He wasn't exactly happy with it and I had to explain life with two kids and a wife is totally different than being single with none.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

JamesD

JamesD

Caitlin - You're lucky - I have to be very particular about shoes because many will make my knees hurt within a hundred yards.  Also, low-drop shoes make my Achilles hurt after a while, and heavy shoes make my hamstrings sore.  (I've almost never had any shin soreness or IT band trouble, so I haven't quite filled my runner's injury bingo card.)

(This may be of interest to cc4 also)  For a do-it-all shoe, I've had great luck with the Reebok Forever Floatride Energy.  They're cushioned enough for long and steady runs but relatively light, and the foam seems to be springy.  Have averaged a bit over 500 miles/800 km per pair, much more than any previous shoes.   Am finishing my sixth pair of version 1 and have two more in storage, so I should be ok for most of the year.  I also use the softer Reebok Symmetros for treadmill recovery runs, and I'm at almost 600 miles on my first pair and have started a second.  Didn't like Reebok's Panthea as much for faster runs, but its Run Fast was a good racing flat.  One downside with Reebok is that none of the stores here carry them, and to get free returns of purchases from their website you have to belong to their loyalty program.  On the other hand, Reebok's website and Amazon often have big discounts on older versions, and I've purchased some v1s (normal price $100) for as little as $55.

I have more trouble finding shoes to do workouts & race in, but these days I'm happy with the Nike Pegasus Turbo 2.  The foam seems very forgiving, and the fit is ok if a bit long & narrow.  I'm with you in being leery of plates (which might aggravate my hamstrings), but when I've used up the Turbo 2s, I may look for a deal on the Saucony Endorphin Speed, which has a supershoe foam & a more flexible nylon plate.  That's what Corey/cfarr has just purchased, so I'll be interested to see what he thinks.

Post-1987 PRs:  Half 1:30:14 (2019); 10K 39:35 (2019); 5K 19:12 (2017); Mile 5:37.3 (2020)

'24 Goals: consistency, age-graded PRs, half < 1:32

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

I’m only doing the half and will be a bit the same - I’m not going for a PR, just want to have a good trail experience. 

I’m going to stay in town the night after the race for a change so definitely keen for a day on the beers. It’s great in town later on, supporting the 4+ hour marathoners.

I thought Queenstown was the one you were racing, if it ever happens again, and I guess I could always hang out with you for the day. I wouldn't do it as a PR. More of a supported long run. Although, CIM IS a month later so training would be pretty much the same time. It looks more like Chicago than CIM. 400 m elevation (1,200 ft) elevation wouldn't be horrible. The humidity might impact me more than elevation, but I'm always willing to suffer for a good story. Travel would be strictly for my brother in law's POTENTIAL wedding. I pretty much told him not to even think about me coming until he has put money down to reserve his venue on the date he wants. He wasn't exactly happy with it and I had to explain life with two kids and a wife is totally different than being single with none.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Marky_Mark_17

RP - if you're gonna do a race in NZ in November, Steve is right, Queenstown is the one to go for.  Not the fastest course but great scenery, definitely one to do just for the experience and sightseeing factor.

Caitlin - I mix up a whole bunch of shoes, but generally prefer lighter shoes.  I will tend to wear more cushioned shoes for long, easy runs, but for anything shorter or workouts I'll generally use lightweight trainers.  For big workouts I'll often use a pair of carbon-plated shoes, normally a pair of Vaporfly's that are past their racing life but still have a bit of bounce in them.

Like Darkwave I tend to rotate a bunch of different shoes as it's actually quite good for your feet and ankles.  But I'm also lucky in that I can wear a lot of different shoe models with no issues.  Adidas are too narrow for me but other than that I've tried most brands at some point.

I would say that for racing, the Vaporfly has been an absolute game-changer and still looks to be the best of the carbon fibre shoes by some margin.  They are legitimately a lot faster for most people.

Zebano - the Kinvara 12 just ended up really firm.  It feels more like a racing flat to be honest.  The Kinvara has always been relatively responsive but they just went way overboard on the 12 on that aspect.  I can hack them for track workouts and that's about it.  Wearing them on the road just absolutely pounds my quads.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Keen - that’s a great deal, the Escalante racers are awesome!

Piwi - You will catch covid multiple times over the next decade. The absolute most likely thing to happen is that you will not even notice it.

Thanks for that photo, it will give Arunnerd ideas on his next race costume. 👯

Ccoakley  - Is your last name like the sunglasses brand? That would be super awesome, as a non native English speaker.

So, shoes. As others have mentioned, it’s nice to have shoes for workouts/races and others for easy and long runs.

But in my case, it’s a matter of finding shoes that fit. 

I believe you’ve seen the pictures of feet I posted on the previous page? The vast majority of running shoes (99%) are built for narrow feet people, I suppose most people have narrow feet.

Before I ran in Altras, I had to purchase shoes 2 or 3 sizes bigger and then they’d fit width wise but I’d have roughly 5cm 2 inches extra at the front of my feet, because shoes from other brands are so narrow.

RP - I’m also keeping an eye on NZ to go there once it opens up. I should likely run over that Tamaki Drive just because it sounds cool and I'd also like to run through that "very dangerous oooohhh 👻" street in Auckland 🤡

Fred - sorry to hear about the cold that would’ve cost you at least 30 seconds in a 5k. The competition with your kiddo is amazing, it’s so nice to spend some quality time with him.

me - Another short run today. It seems I've mostly lost the expected fitness after not running for 2 weeks, and nothing more. I should likely run another mile time trial next week to see where I'm at.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

arunnerd

Roads Scholar

Thanks for that photo, it will give Arunnerd ideas on his next race costume. 👯

LOL now that is a mental image .  The only costume you'll ever see me run in is the "Supinator".  The costume consists of as much orange as I can find because it is scientifically proven to be faster than all other colors, and a new pair of neutral shoes because I tend to wear out old ones quickly.

ETA - In case some don't get the joke, supination is the opposite of pronation and applies to something like 5% of runners.  There are so few of us that shoe companies don't even bother to market a shoe specifically to us.  We just wear neutrals.  The foot rolls outwards and the outside edges of shoes wear quickly.  "Faster than a speeding turtle, able to leap small puddles in a single bound, ... the Supinator!".

I'm with DW and MarkyMark and others who like to rotate shoes.  My favorite all around is Kinvara (haven't tried the 12 yet).  I tend to take whatever neutral shoe I can find cheap.  I can't wear a shoe more than about 250 miles so cheap is important to me.  I miss the days when a club code on RW could get me an extra 20% off an already low sale price.

Vit D - I supplement (a lot) year round under Dr. orders.  Years ago I was having weird issues with aches and pains and after substantial testing for every disease known to man, the only thing my doctors discovered was that I was seriously low on Vit D.  They gave me a mega-dose and "poof" all issues resolved virtually overnight.  It is amazing to me how little we still know about Vit D.

I strive towards laconic wit, my wife says I'm halfway there.

arunnerd.blogspot.com

Ohh wow lots of comments since I last dropped in will have to try and catch up.

I got my Endorphin speed 2 last night was excited to try them out so I laced them up for my Wednesday run...

They fit really well particularly my left foot, I will have to play with the laces a bit on the right I had what felt like some heal slipping.

They offer More support the the NB RC elites too.

I would say they are not as soft on the landing as the RC elite but overall very comfortable. I only ran 4 miles in them but I think these will be good for daily training from MLR to LR to tempo WO.

looking forward to my next run.

PR's

1m  5:38 (2018)

5k    19:59 (2019)

HM  1:33:56 (2018)

FM  3:23:07 (2018)

cc4life07

Wind is not my friend.

Hoping to get new shoes today so we'll see what I end up with!

I have a 5K on Sunday which I'm hoping to break 18 so yesterday did a good WU, did a quick mile to see if I could run that pace still, and then CD.  Not exactly a workout.  5:48 is 18 min pace for a 5K and I was able to hit 5:34.  To be honest, I probably felt more dead than I should but at least I know I can run fast enough for at least 1/3 of the race!  Definitely overdressed too yesterday so that probably made me feel a little more tired too.

"Current" PRs

5K - 18:00 (4/19)   |   HM - 1:19:28 (4/22)

Next Race: A 5K of some sort (Goal: Sub 17:30)

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Fred - sorry to hear about the cold that would’ve cost you at least 30 seconds in a 5k. The competition with your kiddo is amazing, it’s so nice to spend some quality time with him.

Thanks, and yes, it is fun to be running with my son.  We have a 10k together in Central Park on Saturday.  He's never run there before, so our plan is to run together so I can show him the route (this race is one of the few that runs the full, large loop of the park).  He doesn't run much further than 4 miles usually, and rarely on hills, but he's starting to talk about racing against me rather than with me.  We'll see.

cc4life07 - Good luck with the 5k

I took a short fall down my icy front stoop yesterday (only 3 steps), but fortunately there weren't any lasting effects other than a sore butt cheek.  Went out with my RP for 8 with 5 at HM pace today (yes, a Hansons plan) but between recovering from a cold and the streets being just a little slick with occasional icy patches, we decided our main goal would be to stay upright.  Goal accomplished though average pace for the HM miles was about 15 seconds slower than usual, but we'll take that.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
                          10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: RunAPalooza (Asbury Park) HM, 4/6; Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27

zebano

CC4life good luck with the 5k. sub 18 is quick

Fred running with your kids is really great. That's actually why I got into triathlon, my oldest swears he's going to beat me this year (and he will ... on the swim) but I have no intention of letting him come anywhere close for a couple of years yet but those high schoolers develop really fast. Anyways being that close to a PR in bad conditions is a great result.

I pulled the trigger and registered for Kewash 10k on April 16th. This is the one I took a wrong turn during and ran 6.7 miles in last year so I'm hoping for revenge this year and if training goes well, sub 40 is on my mind but honestly that idea is a bit scary.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

Running Problem

Problem Child

cc4 best of luck with the sub 18. Don't go out too fast and when it starts to get really painful just know your online friends are expecting you to suffer longer so we can congratulate you.

VDOT 53.37 

cc4life07

Wind is not my friend.

Thanks although the weather is looking like freezing rain in the morning so it may not happen.  Oh well...my training plan starts on Monday regardless.

cc4 best of luck with the sub 18. Don't go out too fast and when it starts to get really painful just know your online friends are expecting you to suffer longer so we can congratulate you.

"Current" PRs

5K - 18:00 (4/19)   |   HM - 1:19:28 (4/22)

Next Race: A 5K of some sort (Goal: Sub 17:30)