Does this make me a hothead? (Read 1480 times)

OK, so I'm a data geek.....

Went for a short easy run today - 95 F and 80 F dew point.  It's at least two years since I have seen those temperatures.  Body temperature went from 97.5 at the start to 99.0 at the finish.  I was going to take the day off, but could not let the heat and humidity go to waste. 

Did a tempo run last week at 92 F and 74 F dew point.  Five miles total with the last three tempo.  Lost 4.5 lbs and body temperature went from 97.6 up to 100.0 at the end. 

In both cases, I was comfortably sweating enough to be dripping wet at the end.  I think it would be bad idea to do attempt a long run at these temperatures. 

Zortrium

If you're not bringing water (or otherwise don't have access to it), then probably yes, but as long as you have water available and adjust your pace accordingly, I think hot temperatures shouldn't in general be a reason to avoid longer runs.  That being said, personally I both dislike running in high heat and don't like having to drag water with me, so I just run early enough to avoid the worst of it.

Based on the rapid weight loss and temp increases you describe I think you need to pay more attention to hydration (both before and during).  Just my 2 cents.

My pace vs heart rate and perceived effort  is roughly constant until I sweat off 6 to 7 lbs. After another 1.5 lbs sweat loss, my heart rate will increase 30 BPM.   I last did that about three years ago.  It was not fun - tempo run effort and heart rate at a slow recovery pace. 

I've put together a chart of sweat loss vs distance and temperature.  I use that to decide if and how much water to bring. 

Imminent Catastrophe

My pace vs heart rate and perceived effort  is roughly constant until I sweat off 6 to 7 lbs. After another 1.5 lbs sweat loss, my heart rate will increase 30 BPM.   I last did that about three years ago.  It was not fun - tempo run effort and heart rate at a slow recovery pace. 

Been there. At some point I pass a threshold and my HR goes way up. At some point the heat/humidity exceeds your body's ability to dissipate it, even if you have adequate hydration. Then it's time to cut it short or find some other way to cool off your body. 

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

zonykel

If you want accurate readings, you should use a rectal thermometer. Just saying. Smile

xor

I ran a 50k that started at midnight. It was 96 at the start (and humid). 88 at the finish.

I did not spontaneously combust.

I ran a 50k that started at midnight. It was 96 at the start (and humid). 88 at the finish.

That would be a way cooler story if you did. 

It was hot.  Great job.  Saw your time and lap consistency in your log, too.

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

xor

Ah, but.

My goal was 4:59:59.

Missed it by exactly 30 seconds. (official time 5:00:29).

Fooey.

Still though, I was 10 minutes faster than last year and the weather was about the same.  A fun time.

xor

That would be a way cooler story if you did. 

Yes, but I could not tell it.

I wish this forum had a like button zonykel

mdmccat
                        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I wish this forum had a like button zonykel

You can + the thread at the top.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Yes, but I could not tell it.

Wouldnt that be the greatest part? Telling a story after your combustion that is...

xor

You can + the thread at the top.

Or hit the like button.

Based on the rapid weight loss and temp increases you describe I think you need to pay more attention to hydration (both before and during).  Just my 2 cents.

Personally, I find its not just hydration that's important, but actually eating a good amount of salt the couple of days before your long run so you can actually retain the water and stay hydrated. (Btw that logic could be totally wrong). Its just Ive run 10 miles in 85 F and lost 5lbs (im normally 145) and not had to much salt prior, but today i ran 12 miles in 90- 85 F and lost a pound and last two nights ive had a fairly salty diet.