First marathon!!!!!!!!!!!! (Read 1133 times)

Big grin Big grin Big grin Big grin Big grin Big grin Big grin Big grin Big grin Big grin Big grin Big grin Big grin Big grin Big grin Big grin Big grin Big grin Big grin Big grin Big grin Big grin Big grin Big grin Big grin Big grin 26 big grins for my first marathon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm so proud of myself that it's hard not to tell the whole world about it but I just finished my first marathon this past Sunday in Phoenix! This is huge for me for several reasons. For one I have talked about running this particular marathon ever since I ran my first (it was actually my 2nd ever 5k but the first one that I went into as a "serious" runner) 5k in May of 2005. I held off because I knew I wasn't ready but everyone I talked to had always said that you will know when you are ready and it's true. I decided this time last year that I was going to complete a life goal and run my first marathon before I turned 30. I'm 27 now and will be 28 in April. The feeling is amazing! The other huge reason that I'm so proud of myself is that I had one hell of a time during training. Everything started off just wonderful but then about 6 weeks into a 23 week training program my husband lost his job and I went to work full time (3 13 hour days) plus going to school two days a week and running 3-4 days and fundraising. On top of that I got sick with a sinus infection soon after and then I got my first injury which sidelined me for two weeks of little to no running. I recovered just fine and was ramping up my mileage again while facing final exams and then I came down with another injury, this time ITB which haunted me for about 6 weeks which again reduced my mileage but I was still able to pull out a 16 miler (very slow) and an almost 17 miler (again very slow). All in all I peaked at about 32 MPW with my longest run being the almost 17 miler. With all of that I was able to finish my marathon comfortably with running by my HR. The last three miles were bad and I was in pain due to a muscle strain which I am now recovered from. My finishing time is 6:03:37 and I ran even splits throughout most of the race losing only 10 minutes total from start to finish which for a first marathon, to me, isn't too shabby at all. I had friends that were on pace for 5:30 and finished in 6 so I think I did pretty good.
    Finished my first marathon 1-13-2008 in 6:03:37 at P.F. Chang's in Phoenix. PR in San Antonio RnR 5:45:58!!!!!! on 11-16-08 The only thing that has ever made any difference in my running is running. Goal: Break 2:30 in the HM this year Jay Benson Tri (place in Athena category) 5-10-09
    JakeKnight

Awesome. But you need .2 smileys at the end. Here, borrow mine. Big grin

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
      -----------------------------

Great run! Looking for my first next month!

Vim

Congrats....Smiles Big grin & Miles that it's all about!

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

hdh

congrats!!! Even splits is quite an accomplishment. I ran PF Chang full in 2006 and the half (in the frigid cold at the start) in 2007 cuz my daugher was at grad school in the area. I know the course and I could not help but take a peak at the temp on the weather channel when they showed the national weather. Well done!!!
            hdh
            hdh

oh, and the pic is me with my friend Frank!
              hdh
                Way to go.

Another Passion

That is so AWESOME, Terie! Congratulations! Savor the accomplishment. Wink You are a MARATHONER! Big grin

Rick
                  "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
                  "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
                  runningforcassy.blogspot.com

btb1490

Great job overcoming those obstacles to complete your first marathon! Congrats!
                      Congrats Terie! Great job! Are you ready for another one any time soon? I hear they're addicting... Wink Sara
                        I'm going to do some serious base building because I want to run my next marathon in 4:30-5:00. I'm planing on running Chicago in October as long as I can get in before registration closes which I'm sure I will.
                        Finished my first marathon 1-13-2008 in 6:03:37 at P.F. Chang's in Phoenix. PR in San Antonio RnR 5:45:58!!!!!! on 11-16-08 The only thing that has ever made any difference in my running is running. Goal: Break 2:30 in the HM this year Jay Benson Tri (place in Athena category) 5-10-09
                        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Terie, that's excellent--and even without optimal training. I think you will get into the 4:30 range next time! Smile k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Congratulations. Finishing feeling comfortable, especially after all that time on your feet is not an easy feat! Good luck in Chigaco Smile
                              Congrats! Smile
                              2009: BQ?
                              pandajenn19

Way to gut it out, both in training and the day of! Good for you, it gives me some much needed encouragement to get over this stupid illness I've had and get back out on the road tonight. Smile Congrats!!