Unusual ways to lower the risk of injury... (Read 941 times)

Half Fanatic #846

What have you ever done or considered doing that was unusual - to minimize the risk of personal injury so you would feel better about your running future? I know most of us wouldn't want to run through a "bad" area of town or have a junk food diet (OK, I want to, but I know better Wink), or in my case quitting smoking, but how 'bout anything unusual? I just sold my motorcycle, partly because I have always been a little worried that if I ever had a crash on it, I might not be able to run any more (I've even dreamed about waking up with paralyzed legs). So, I chose running over motorcycling. Is anybody else a little paranoid about being able to run and maybe doing something they normally wouldn't do if they weren't a runner? Just wondering if I'm in the minority, or if a lot of us have done something like this... Bill

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

I pretty much gave up downhill skiing back when I was doing triathlons on a regular basis. The skiing where I live is pretty crummy anyway (small hills, five or ten minutes to wait in lift lines, get to the top of the hill, thirty seconds to ski down), so not really worth the risk of injury.
      ~ Mary ~

"Workouts are like brushing my teeth; I don't think about them, I just do them. The decision has already been made." - Patti Sue Plumer

A Saucy Wench

I still ski, but I wont ski if I have a big race coming up. The more I get in to running the less I want to ski. The closer I get to big races, the less I am willing to do other things that might cause a sprained ankle etc. Pretty much during the 2 weeks before a marathon I would like to wrap myself in bubble wrap.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

xor

I live an hour from one nice set of ski hills, and two hours from two other reasonable places... and 3-4 hours from two GREAT places. But I don't ski anymore. Too hard on my knees. I'm paranoid that it'll screw my running. I also no longer play target for my knife-throwing friends. That got really old.

I sold my motorcycle about 15 months ago. For me it wasn't about running as much as it was that I knew every time I got on it, I had a 1 in X chance of dying. Every repetition increased my odds. I eventually felt like I was living on borrowed time. As I've gotten older I've gravitated away from the adventure sports of my youth and while my most serious injury was during a motocross ride, I've hurt myself playing softball, volleyball, and basketball more than I ever hurt myself rock climbing, skiing, or white water rafting. I just find that I don't crave the rush the way I used to.
            2008 Goals Don't attack the guy that passes me like I'm standing still when I think I'm running fast...I can't catch him anyway and I'd just look silly
              This isn't exactly an example of something I've given up but it's kind of along the same lines... My husband wanted me to help move in our new washing machine from the truck last weekend. I said, "No way, dude. Get the neighbor to help. If I mess up my back I won't be able to run." So yeah. I'm a selfish non-helper because of running.
              -Monica

Slow and steady wins the race means a lot of fast people pass you.
              Teresadfp

One day at a time

I gave up on downhill skiing, also. I had a good excuse - my calves have gotten so big my ski boots don't fit anymore!

I gave up BEER for about 6 monthes while training for a marthon. Oh, I also gave up Mt Biking and basketball for the same time period.
                  Favorite quote: Stop your crying you little girl! 2011: Mt Washington, Washington Trails, Peaks Island, Pikes Peak.
                    I gave up on downhill skiing, also. I had a good excuse - my calves have gotten so big my ski boots don't fit anymore!
                    I feel your pain..... Sad

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

Prince of Fatness

I gave up BEER for about 6 monthes while training for a marthon.
                      Now there's a sacrifice! How'd that first beer taste after the race?

Not at it at all. 

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh Smile Smile Smile
                        Favorite quote: Stop your crying you little girl! 2011: Mt Washington, Washington Trails, Peaks Island, Pikes Peak.

A Saucy Wench

I gave up BEER for about 6 monthes while training for a marthon. Oh, I also gave up Mt Biking and basketball for the same time period.
                          I gave up alcohol last year for my marathon because I kept getting colds when I would drink. Not 6 months though, only about 3. This year I seem to be doing better, although I still cant overindulge or I get a cold.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I try to avoid going up to my kid's room...the floor is litered with LEGO and all other manner of things to injure myself on. Last thing I need is to train for so many months, only to be sidelined by a Hotwheels car. Tongue

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I gave up BEER for about 6 monthes while training for a marthon.
                              I love running, but unless it's the difference between me making the Olympic team or not, I will never do this.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

I'm someone who LOVES to rollerblade. It was just after I started back into running that I decided to get a newer, smoother, speedier pair since DH and I were planning on going more often. After our first 2 hr trip, almost to the car, I took the worst fall ever. It sidelined me for about a year and I was unable to get back into running like I'd wanted. I sold the brand new rollerblades and have vowed to not risk it again. It was hard to sell them, but I love running more!