From couch to Marathon at 49 (Read 155 times)

Apple1

Has anyone here ever gone from no running to a marathon in your late 40's early 50's?  I am wondering if this future goal is realistic?

I am planning a 5K on Oct. 1 and then I am thinking a 10k, and a half marathon in 2018. My long term goal is to complete a marathon in 2019. The reason I have said 2019 is because I believe I am going to have to take my time building up my mileage to be able to do this. I am not sure how fast I will progress.

I will be 49 in a week and I am enjoying running so much that I want to keep increasing my goals as I go along.

PDoe

Sounds extremely reasonable, feasible and intelligent. 49 is young.

Apple1

You are right 49 is young.. I am hoping I have good joints.

I went to a running store and got properly fitted for shoes to ensure I am using the correct style for my gait. They suggested a neutral shoe so my Brooks Ghost 10 were a good choice.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a good first half marathon in 2018? I am on the east coast in Delaware. I am willing to travel a little, but would like to stay within driving distance.

Thank you!!

runmichigan

It is definitely possible.  The fact that you are taking it slow and building to the marathon is likely to make you successful.  Opinions vary but many of us agree that you need a good solid year of running as a base before embarking on a marathon training plan.  I would suggest that before you embark on training for a marathon you be able to run 4 times a week  - two easy runs of 30 to 45 minutes, one medium run of 60 minutes, and one long run of  90 minutes to 2 hours..  As you move from the 5k to 10k to half marathon, you will be laying the foundation for the marathon training.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Has anyone here ever gone from no running to a marathon in your late 40's early 50's?  I am wondering if this future goal is realistic?

I am planning a 5K on Oct. 1 and then I am thinking a 10k, and a half marathon in 2018. My long term goal is to complete a marathon in 2019. The reason I have said 2019 is because I believe I am going to have to take my time building up my mileage to be able to do this. I am not sure how fast I will progress.

I will be 49 in a week and I am enjoying running so much that I want to keep increasing my goals as I go along.

I started running at age 55. Nine years later, I've completed 10 marathons. Your plan sounds very reasonable, as does the advice that has been posted here so far. Good luck, and enjoy feeling healthy and keeping yourself young!

JeannieE

I did not start running until my early 40s.  I am now 49 and have run 5 marathons so far!  My biggest piece of advice is to start slowly.  If you are truly "starting from the couch"  (zero running) -- start with small amounts of running, interspersed with walking (ie 1/4 mile run, 1/4 mile walk) then gradually increase the amounts of running.  Recovery and rest days are super important -- always important no matter your age -- but even more so at our age.  Your plan is perfect!  (I actually initially typed to start small with a 5k and work your way up -- then had to go back in and modify, once I read your full post!)

Booyah!

You are right 49 is young.. I am hoping I have good joints.

I went to a running store and got properly fitted for shoes to ensure I am using the correct style for my gait. They suggested a neutral shoe so my Brooks Ghost 10 were a good choice.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a good first half marathon in 2018? I am on the east coast in Delaware. I am willing to travel a little, but would like to stay within driving distance.

Thank you!!

Coastal Delaware running festival in Dewey Beach is in late April. I did the marathon there last year. Weather was cool, not a very big race but well supported, and it is flat as a pancake. Was a couple hrs drive time from MD for me, but shouldn't be that far for you.

PR's:

5K- 20:15 (2017)   HM- 1:39:38 (2012)    FM- 3:26:53 (2016)

Apple1

It is definitely possible.  The fact that you are taking it slow and building to the marathon is likely to make you successful.  Opinions vary but many of us agree that you need a good solid year of running as a base before embarking on a marathon training plan.  I would suggest that before you embark on training for a marathon you be able to run 4 times a week  - two easy runs of 30 to 45 minutes, one medium run of 60 minutes, and one long run of  90 minutes to 2 hours..  As you move from the 5k to 10k to half marathon, you will be laying the foundation for the marathon training.

I am running 4-5 days a week now so I guess I am off to a good start. I have been running for 8 weeks now and started 3 days and just increased every 2-3 weeks. I am building my time running slowly so hopefully avoid injuries. Thus far I am up to 40 minutes for my long run and the rest of the week I run 20-30 minutes.

Do you recommend Hal Hidgdens training plans for the half and full marathon?

Apple1

I did not start running until my early 40s.  I am now 49 and have run 5 marathons so far!  My biggest piece of advice is to start slowly.  If you are truly "starting from the couch"  (zero running) -- start with small amounts of running, interspersed with walking (ie 1/4 mile run, 1/4 mile walk) then gradually increase the amounts of running.  Recovery and rest days are super important -- always important no matter your age -- but even more so at our age.  Your plan is perfect!  (I actually initially typed to start small with a 5k and work your way up -- then had to go back in and modify, once I read your full post!)

Thank you all for your advice and encouragement.

I am researching training plans for the half marathon so any advice there would be greatly appreciated.

joescott

Totally reasonable.  Do it!

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

runmichigan

I am running 4-5 days a week now so I guess I am off to a good start. I have been running for 8 weeks now and started 3 days and just increased every 2-3 weeks. I am building my time running slowly so hopefully avoid injuries. Thus far I am up to 40 minutes for my long run and the rest of the week I run 20-30 minutes.

Do you recommend Hal Hidgdens training plans for the half and full marathon?

Hal Higdon's plans are good training plans.  His beginner plans would work for you and he provides good information on where you should be base-wise when you start.

49 is young.

No. It is old. The point being, you can't get away with the same stuff a younger person can. Take care of yourself. Watch your diet, and do some crosstraining to develop/maintain strength & flexibility. Build up gradually, in terms of days/week, distance, and speed workouts. Regardless of what you do, injuries will happen; you are putting a lot of stress on your body. Don't be discouraged (easier said than done); take the time off you need, and slowly re-build. Some good advice given in the above posts.

I had a few brushes with running in my 20s, but really started in earnest in my mid-40s and ran my first marathon at age 47. At 52, I have now run 8 marathons. In the last 3 years I have run 2300, 2500, & 2800 miles, and continue to shoot for PRs at distances from 5k to 26.2. When you start late, you don't have the young-person PRs to chase. And you don't have decades of wear & tear on your joints.

I think I did a pretty good job of gradual mileage/training buildup in my early career; probably my biggest mistake was jumping into the marathon too soon. I was way undertrained for my first one, and it was a trainwreck. You can build up to a decent half in a reasonable period of time, but a marathon is much more than twice as hard to do well. Best to have 2-3 years of really solid mileage under your belt first, imho.

Good luck!

Dave

I ran my first marathon in 2007, at age 55.  It took me 4.5 years of gradual buildup to do it.  A friend started running at the same age, and was ready to run a marathon in two months.  Different people, different bodies.

When I started, I could barely run a quarter mile.  It took me a full year until I could regularly run 20 miles per week, and another year until I could maintain 30 miles per week.  But I did it without injury, pain, or suffering.

Apple1

No. It is old. The point being, you can't get away with the same stuff a younger person can. Take care of yourself. Watch your diet, and do some crosstraining to develop/maintain strength & flexibility. Build up gradually, in terms of days/week, distance, and speed workouts. Regardless of what you do, injuries will happen; you are putting a lot of stress on your body. Don't be discouraged (easier said than done); take the time off you need, and slowly re-build. Some good advice given in the above posts.

I had a few brushes with running in my 20s, but really started in earnest in my mid-40s and ran my first marathon at age 47. At 52, I have now run 8 marathons. In the last 3 years I have run 2300, 2500, & 2800 miles, and continue to shoot for PRs at distances from 5k to 26.2. When you start late, you don't have the young-person PRs to chase. And you don't have decades of wear & tear on your joints.

I think I did a pretty good job of gradual mileage/training buildup in my early career; probably my biggest mistake was jumping into the marathon too soon. I was way undertrained for my first one, and it was a trainwreck. You can build up to a decent half in a reasonable period of time, but a marathon is much more than twice as hard to do well. Best to have 2-3 years of really solid mileage under your belt first, imho.

Good luck!

Dave, thank you for your advice. I am trying hard to stay healthy.

I slowed down this week to let my right knee adjust to running 5 days a week. I plan on going slow with increasing mileage and next week I will only be running 4 days. I wonder if I run more to my right side as those are usually the muscles that are sore.

It it will be 2 1/2 years before I attempt my first marathon if everything goes according to my plans. My goals are flexible because I know things can change Day to day. If I don't do well with the half marathon next year I may delay my training on the marathon. I have never been a runner before but have always loved hiking. I have logged quite a few miles over the years. My dh and I have hiked so many trails between Front Royal and Lurray, VA.

I am excited and motivated to keep running and I'll just have to see how far my 49 year old legs will take me...lol

GinnyinPA

I was 55 when I started running, 58 when I ran my first marathon. You aren't too old. My only advice is to be cautious building your miles.  I tried to do too much too soon and ended up spending a large part of the first couple of years injured.

One HM you might consider is the B&A Trail HM in April.It's near Annapolis and is on a paved rail trail. It is a small race without a lot of frills, but for a first race the smaller size might be easier to deal with. I did the B&A Trail Marathon last year.