L_Master's Goals/Progress Thread - aka the quest for sub 5 and sub 17 (Read 4915 times)

Still plugin away.

Weight is down into the very low 150's, like 150/151. Not sure how much I left to go, but I'm guessing 5 to maybe 15 pounds more at most, since I have some muscle to me. I'm planning on just shooting for what looks right, and then just trying to eat normal from there and let my body stabilize. Is this a solid plan?

Running going okay. Race on the 4th of 4 miles in 27:05, which wasn't too bad. First two miles were more of a tempo effort, picking up to a hard effort for the last two, and full intensity by the last 800. Not sure what the times worth though, since the course is a net gradual drop of 150' (looks flat), but at the same time is on a gravel trail.

Unfortunately on race day I sprained/twisted my ankle/calf while I was hiking afterwords, so I did about 5 days of biking while I recovered from that. All seems well now. Had a wonderful strong run yesterday, doing a little over 9 miles in about 1:12 as what felt very nice and easy. Not sure if it means anything but man did it feel good. 

Another 5K planned for Saturday so it will be interesting to see how that turns out.

They say golf is like life, but don't believe them. Golf is more complicated than that. "If I am still standing at the end of the race, hit me with a Board and knock me down, because that means I didn't run hard enough" If a lot of people gripped a knife and fork the way they do a golf club, they'd starve to death. "Don't fear moving slowly forward...fear standing still."

Still plugin away.

L,

It looks like you're progessing very well. My guess is that you're much faster than you give yourself credit for. After races, I have trouble even standing, but still convinced I left time out on the course. If you can crush a 4 miler like that, I'm curious as to how the 5k will go.

And we run because we like it
      Through the broad bright land

Yea, more than anything I just don't have a feel for pacing. I can do a pretty good job estimating what pace I am running at, but I don't really know how I should be feeling at various stages in the races, as I am still a massive racing novice. I've run maybe 6-8 5k's and none have been close together so I haven't really learned much yet about how to race/pace properly.

Closest things I have to work with are that 4th of July race, though I am not sure how dirt/gravel but downhill workouts and a 4x1000m interval session run in like 4:03, 4:02, 4:00, and 3:56 w/3min active recovery jogging. Last one was getting pretty uncomfortable, probably could have done one more, but it wouldn't have felt too great. 15-20 mph winds that day. All that said, no idea what that means.

My plan is just to settle into tempo effort right as the race starts and immediately pick that up by about 15 seconds, if that feels "good" after a mile or so I'll pick it up further. 

They say golf is like life, but don't believe them. Golf is more complicated than that. "If I am still standing at the end of the race, hit me with a Board and knock me down, because that means I didn't run hard enough" If a lot of people gripped a knife and fork the way they do a golf club, they'd starve to death. "Don't fear moving slowly forward...fear standing still."

L,

It looks like you're progessing very well. My guess is that you're much faster than you give yourself credit for. After races, I have trouble even standing, but still convinced I left time out on the course. If you can crush a 4 miler like that, I'm curious as to how the 5k will go.

5K today in 18:50, though the course was almost certainly short. Not shorter than 2.95 though which is still good for like 19:45 or so, aka....

SUB 20!!

Which is especially awesome since I'm pretty sure I left some time out there, wasn't really hurting at all until sometime a little into mile 3, and really I kinda faded a bit there since I am a wuss and being on pace to sub 20 didn't want to chance pushing and having problems.

That and I should "kick" earlier, I find myself going about the same until maybe 50-100m for the finish and then bringing it home hard. I'm sure I can start much sooner. 

Any good advice on how a proper 5K should feel?

Another race today: 10K in 41:28. Didn't really know what to expect as far as pacing since I had only run one before and that was 4 years ago; basically went way to easy the whole way and wasn't really uncomfortable at any point in the race, except maybe the last half mile when I was doing some kicking.

Good learning experience and tells me I am in better shape than I thought I was. I imagine I won't have any trouble breaking 20 the next time I jump into a 5K. Really looking forward to see what I can do in a few weeks here when I start adding in the faster stuff and begin the real quest to try and dip below 18, or at the very least 18:37.

Weight is starting to be a bit stubborn now, gonna have to keep a rolling week average or something to have any barometer of progress. Right around 150 now, probably 10 or so pounds left to go and VERY much looking forward to being done dieting and actually being able to be at full strength for my training. 

Have to say I'm thrilled with how my training is coming! 4 consecutive 60+ mile weeks, not only injury free but not even a hint of nagging pains or discomfort. Equally exciting is how strong I have been feeling, especially the past two weeks. Despite continuing my caloric deficit I have started feeling stronger both on runs, and having MUCH more energy during runs between the day. In the past I'd be pretty worn out between runs not really wanting to do much else, especially if I was also working. That seems to be no more.

Not sure if its the weight (down to 147), the mileage, the few incline trips, or some combination of factors but for the first time I am feeling good on uphills. They don't feel like such crazy obstacles that require massive drops in pace to keep up whatever effort I was at which has done wonders for my confidence and enjoyment of hillier routes (of which there are plenty of here in CO).

Average pace seems to be picking up to, with runs on pavement starting to creep under 8:00, and runs on the local dirt trail getting into the very low 8's with less effort than before. 

Current plan is to follow Daniels 5K training plan for this fall season and see how that and the various workouts and structure make me feel. Having never done any sort of speedwork/intervals/hard stuff before it will be a learning experience to see how that effects my running, and which workouts I respond well to. 

Got it, and by a good margin, 19:06!!

Training still going along well, on vacation getting to do some running at sea level, which compared to 7000' feels unbelievable so fast and effortless and just seems like their is an unlimited amount of air.

Feeling the growl again

Very nice....closing in...

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Just had a wonderful week of getting to run at sea level. Man is that fun! Feels so easy to get oxygen and I was running significantly faster than compared to my usual 7000' (probably didn't hurt that it was concrete/asphalt vs dirt as well). 

Got back today and as expected the first run was a little bit meh. Legs still a bit locked into sea level pace so I had to keep forcing myself to slow down to get the right effort level. Workout part was good, running 4 sets of 200/200/800 (40,42,44,43 / 42,42,43,42 / 3:01,3:06, 3:05, 2:57) with 1:30 jog between each. The 800's were a bit of work, especially the last two, but I wasn't dying. Recovery portion felt like I was really gasping for air, probably cause I was used to sea level O2 availability. Should feel totally adjusted in another day or so. 

Interval session tonight. 1609m (paced friend in mile), followed by 5x1200m w/3:00-3:30 recovery jogs. Intervals in 6:28, 4:42, 4:42, 4:41, 4:38, 4:28. Pretty easy session to be honest, even the last one in 4:28 didn't feel too tough. I probably want to aim for 4:30-4:35 w/2:30-3:00 recovery for the next go round of this.

300+ miles for August! First 300 mile month ever!!

Gettin ready to be destroyed come Saturday after this. Cheap open college meet called the Rust Buster that I plan on running. Get the feeling I won't be anywhere near he top half, but it means I should have plenty of fast company to pull me along. 

Nice tempo run tonight. 4 miles in 26:03, tried to cut down a little bit each mile. 6:50, 6:48, 6:14, 6:09. First mile felt easy, second mile was okay, third mile felt a little tougher but still comfortable, last mile was just a little uncomfortable, but not terrible.

As I was running third mile past by a restaurant and heard some girl say to her mom "That man is really running!". Made me feel awesome. Smile

"Made me feel awesome"

Because she called you a 'man'?

Kidding.

Anyway, just to inflate your ego a little more, running the last 3 miles of your tempos now at well under 20 min 5k pace has to feel pretty good. Man, I (sometimes) wish I were 22 again...

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                          We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

Feeling the growl again

Nice tempo run tonight. 4 miles in 26:03, tried to cut down a little bit each mile. 6:50, 6:48, 6:14, 6:09. First mile felt easy, second mile was okay, third mile felt a little tougher but still comfortable, last mile was just a little uncomfortable, but not terrible.

As I was running third mile past by a restaurant and heard some girl say to her mom "That man is really running!". Made me feel awesome. Smile

You're doing these right.  Good things will happen.  Perhaps even a bit conservative on the front end.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Pretty soon you'll just hear the girl say, "an is re".

The best part about this is that you just go out and run, do the workouts, add the miles and  dont worry about anything else.

And we run because we like it
                              Through the broad bright land

You're doing these right.  Good things will happen.  Perhaps even a bit conservative on the front end.

Thats really good to hear. I've never known for sure if I was doing them a little to hard if I was finishing them right at the border of where it would start  to hurt. Gives me some confidence that I am doing them right. 

h2bubbles - Yea, it sures does. Man do I enjoy the faster runs, something about getting out there and moving is just awesome! And yea, it is pretty crazy that I am now tempoing  faster than I could race a 5K just a few months ago. Should be noted that there was a bit of an uphill/downhill component to the run, maybe 80 feet up to half way, and 80 feet down over the way back. 

Parklife - Yea, I figure that's the best I can do. Obviously it's nice to say I want to be at X 5K time by Y date, but its not really something you can control. Just gotta go out and run, trying to train as smart as possible and just see how your body adapts. Getting too caught up in the results seems like a good way to lose the enjoyment of running.