L_Master's Goals/Progress Thread - aka the quest for sub 5 and sub 17 (Read 4915 times)

Let's just say I got intimately familiar with the elliptical.

Gross. You wiped it down after, right?

Runners run

Gross. You wiped it down after, right?

But of course. It's one thing to be a partial asshole, but I try to at least err on the side of not being a total asshole.

They say golf is like life, but don't believe them. Golf is more complicated than that. "If I am still standing at the end of the race, hit me with a Board and knock me down, because that means I didn't run hard enough" If a lot of people gripped a knife and fork the way they do a golf club, they'd starve to death. "Don't fear moving slowly forward...fear standing still."

Really good workout today.

On the trail did 4x400, 2x800, 2x1200, 2:00 between 400s, 90s between everything else. 400s in 75, 800s in 2:52, 1200s in 4:28. Definitely feel ready for a good race this weekend or on the track a few Sunday's from now.

Honestly though, the workout itself was probably stupid, 5600m of work coming back from injury and only doing 15-20mpw currently is probably asking for trouble. Knowing I'm racing a collegiate 5000 is playing a little too much into my decision making. I think gameplan is to do the next few workouts primarily on the machines at relative effort; i.e. 6xMile becomes 2x6 min hard elliptical, 2x6 min hard stair-master, 2xMile on treadmill.

Definitely open to thoughts.

They say golf is like life, but don't believe them. Golf is more complicated than that. "If I am still standing at the end of the race, hit me with a Board and knock me down, because that means I didn't run hard enough" If a lot of people gripped a knife and fork the way they do a golf club, they'd starve to death. "Don't fear moving slowly forward...fear standing still."

The show goes on. 

Didn't end up getting a chance to race much in May as I hoped, between being sick twice and generally swamped with finals + work. Ran Boulder Bolder in some awful like 43Tight lippedx time, but my training had been pretty minimal in the month leading up. 

So, decided it was time to go back to square one and just start building my running base, and aerobic base, back up to focus on some good racing in the fall. Starting last week of May I've done three weeks of about 90 minutes each day, though not all running. Capping the running volume right now at +/-45 mpw.

First week of going from like 30 min to 90 min was godawful and every day was a struggle to summon up the energy to get out the door, but now getting into week four I've adapted feeling much better. Starting to see some signs of the strength coming back too: did a nice tempo on a windy day at around 6:30 pace, and then had a really good ten mile "long" run in around 69.

I think the key is just not getting greedy and trying to build back too fast, especially the running mileage. It's hard not to want to jump right back up to 70...but my sense is that would be too much, too soon.

Low key race today in 19:14. Not the fastest time ever but a reasonable result for no speed-work and a marginally suicidal first mile. Forgot how hard it can be to run fast when you haven't run faster than 650 pace in a while.

Good news is I'm training well and feeling like I'm gaining momentum each week. After two years of injury bullshit, going on 6+ weeks of consistent running of 40+ mpw is really a wonderful victory in and of itself, definitely something I've missed...I don't know exactly what it is but there is something about this whole running/training/racing thing that I absolutely love. Every aspect of it is fun for me (provided I'm not in the middle of a 1200m repeat) and just being able to train again is pretty damn cool. 

Raced again today, 4M in 24:21. Good confirmation that my fitness is where I thought it was, and running that off pure mileage isn't half shabby. 

Time for another 5 or 6 solid weeks of aerobic base mileage before we start to wind things up for some fall racing. If all goes well I think it might be possible to get to PR again by the end of fall, which would be awesome after missing nearly 2 years from injury