I'm committed.... (Read 1623 times)

Feeling the growl again

Last night I ran a 4 mile tempo averaging 5:27 pace, down from 5:32 pace a couple weeks ago. Back in the day I considered doing this workout at 5:30 pace to mean I was ready to START serious training. So when I got home I promptly went online and registered for the Louisville Marathon on Oct 19th. 3 weeks is a good training plan, right?

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

mikeymike

There will be a bunch of RA'ers there, mostly from the Nashville contingent. Much of the New England contingent (self included) will be running Bay State that day. Big day for RA on the 19th. Good luck, let 'er rip!

Runners run

I know you've mentioned your training hasn't been optimal, but you just might surprise yourself. Strange things can happen when you lace a chip onto your shoe. Best of luck to you spaniel, I'm very much looking forward to your race report.

E.J.
        Greater Lowell Road Runners
        Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

2 wks training 1 week taper. Should work. Good luck! I'll be checking in on the 20th. Should be lots of good results to look at.
          Favorite quote: Stop your crying you little girl! 2011: Mt Washington, Washington Trails, Peaks Island, Pikes Peak.

Why is it sideways?

Nice! Gotta strike while the iron's heating up. Wait, that's not how it goes. Good luck!
            Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Last night I ran a 4 mile tempo averaging 5:27 pace, down from 5:32 pace a couple weeks ago. Back in the day I considered doing this workout at 5:30 pace to mean I was ready to START serious training. So when I got home I promptly went online and registered for the Louisville Marathon on Oct 19th. 3 weeks is a good training plan, right?
              Sweet! You do know they changed the course, don't you? I'll see you at the start. I hope. I gotta survive Indy first tho.

#artbydmcbride

As long as you get one long run of at LEAST 20 miles in ....and a 3 day taper, you are golden! Big grin

Runners run

Feeling the growl again

Sweet! You do know they changed the course, don't you? I'll see you at the start. I hope. I gotta survive Indy first tho.
                  I just realized this today. It looks a little hillier than Toledo which I have done and is not bad (but not the mirror-flat course from last year). Also through town rather than parks, so more boring Sad The main reason I am doing this one is this is that I cannot run one in November (week of no running mandated by a hiking vacation over Haloween), this is the only weekend in October I can do one, and I must be able to drive in on the 19th as I fly back home from work the evening of the 18th -- so Louisville it is, whatever course it's on! I'd rather be doing Indy with you the day before but the work trip prevented that. See if you can spot me at the start....White jersey with green sidebars (Frontline Racing Team on front), red flats. Front row if I have to bludgeon my way there as the winning time has been in the 2:40s the last couple years.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Feeling the growl again

As long as you get one long run of at LEAST 20 miles in ....and a 3 day taper, you are golden! Big grin
                    There's the rub. Long of 18 so far, a couple 16s. Last week 8 easy 6:4X pace then 8 in flats 5:49 pace (but very tired going into that one, which is why I did not finish the 20 planned). After careful consideration, I think I will do 20 this Saturday after all despite the proximity to the race as I have not been training myself to a very fatigued level due to lack of volume/time. Probably a little up-tempo with a fast finish the last 3-4 miles. My main fear is the last 8-10 miles due to low volume and lack of not just long runs, but also the 10-14 mile runs that usually litter my schedule.

kcam

I can't run at your level so FWIW ... I wouldn't hesitate doing 20 this Saturday, even a fast finish 20, if I was running on the 19th. That's two weeks and a day out to recover and from what you've posted it seems like you haven't been running enough volume to need an extensive taper.
                        I agree with Ken. I'd go with the 20 but not hammer it--a little faster at the end but nothing more. Good luck in Louisville.
                        Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
                        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

See if you can spot me at the start....White jersey with green sidebars (Frontline Racing Team on front), red flats. Front row if I have to bludgeon my way there as the winning time has been in the 2:40s the last couple years.
                          Cool. I will likely have on a shirt with a flying monkey on the back, one that looks like this: And sunglasses. And I will be limping. With two legs. Big grin
                          obsessor

Hmmmm... for this one, I'll say "Have Fun!" My version of which is very probably close to yours: Run like hell for as long as possible and don't worry about the outcome.
                            DoppleBock

Hmmmm... for this one, I'll say "Have Fun!" My version of which is very probably close to yours: Run like hell for as long as possible and don't worry about the outcome.
                              Big D are you running Sunday?

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Hannibal Granite

Andy - I've enjoyed following your progress over the years both here and over at coolrunning, in fact it was your post over there that helped me find RA, so thanks for that. Anyway I'll see you in Louisville though I'm doing the half as a tune-up for St Jude Marathon in Dec. ( I had a full planned for Sept, but life got in the way, so that got postponed). I'll be wearing a blue singlet and look like my picture. See you there

"You NEED to do this" - Shara