Hip Flexor Pain (Read 22524 times)

Lane

My right hip flexor gets extremely sore when running; it's kind of like a short pain in several places on my hip flexor, combined with a general aching. The pain only happens when I'm lifting my leg though, and it usually persists after runs, but only in situations where I put extra strain on the flexors, like going up stairs (but not down). The funny thing is that although it has hurt for a couple days now, I haven't had to slow down on runs. I've already decided to stop and give it a rest. Other than the typical RICE treatments, is there anything I can do to speed the healing process and prevent this from happening again?
      I suggest stretching and core exercise...
        I had hip flexor pain bad enough once to basically stop me from running entirely (and almost walking) for almost a week. It was really awful. I haven't found a magic cure, but every time I start to feel some pain there, I make sure to take an extra effort at stretching them and it tends to promptly go away and not bother me again for a while. Modified lunges were just about the only thing that worked for me with regards to that.

~J

GP160

Trigger point Quad Baller, helped my hip flexors. You prob have really tight quads.
          Ironman Louisville 8-30-09

Bugs

Had this last August, when to chiropractor for weeks, elec. stimulation, massage, and it would not stop spasming. Finally got tired of going and was going to go to PT, but didn't have the patience for that either. So I did good old fashion gentle hip flexor exercies every 30-60 minutes all day long for about 1 1/2 days. Stretching several times a day seems to be key. My issue was from too many ab exercises, solution do more crutches instead.

Bugs

Runner

I've had really bad hip flexors for a long time due to an injury while doing squats when I played a little d3 college football. If you can get an ultrasound massage therapy done to it the thing works wonders. I would go in and do that and put heat on the area and it was healed rather quickly though the injury was pretty severe as far as hip flexors go(I couldn't roll over in bed without about screaming). When i started running (I was 215 pounds football and 165 now) I've noticed from time to time that it will flare up and it reminds me to try to work on stride frequency because it seems the problems arise from hip motion being excessive. I noticed in your log that you are a faster runner and I'd say this injury is more common in those who run faster(longer strides).

2010 Races: Snicker's Marathon(2:58:38), Scenic City Trail Marathon(3:26:36), Laurel Highlands Ultra 77(19:13:44), Ironman Louisville(13:07:07) 2011 Races: Mount Cheaha 50k 5:22:47, Tobacco Road Marathon, Mohican 100 Miler

Gotta TRI

Trigger point Quad Baller, helped my hip flexors. You prob have really tight quads.
                DW is asking, what is this? She has always had tight quads.
                2010 Dec. California International Marathon 2011 Jan. Disney Marathon
                  quadballer I have ordered from this site before and was pleased with their service.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
                  Thyroid Support Group

The front part of my hip is bothering me a lot right now. I am told not to stretch it when it's aggravated, though... that will only make it worse. Right now I'm RICE-ing and have done some foam rolling/massage... I'm not sure about stretching... I want to say you shouldn't, but I'm also not sure if the pain is in the same area as yours. I have had this happen before and I think I rested it and foam rolled and probably even stretched and I was fine in a few days... What do you guys think? Is stretching ok for this type of injury?

Arrogant Bastard....Ale

Consider yourselves lucky in some respects. Way back in junior high track I tore both my hip flexors virtually completely (thankfully not at the same time), with an audible pop each time it happened. 1-3 weeks on crutches, another couple with no running, talk about a season down the drain. I had to use the handicap rails to get off the toilet. Why 1-3 on crutches? I pushed myself back faster than I should of and the pain just hung around. Just rest, rest, rest. After you have no pain wait at least a few more days to start up again. Then always make sure you are completely warmed up prior to any hard exercise. You can also try some simple exercises using stairs, jogging high knees, pendulum leg swings to strengthen those areas. Unfortunately even with all of this it might never go away completely. Many times throughout my high school races I pulled up in races because I felt a small twinge. And even today every once in awhile I feel pain in the hip flexor without warning (still just 27, but I can't imagine it getting better). Stretching depends on whether it is sore or injured. Yes if sore, no if injured.
                        i have a question about stretching and hip pain. My hip has been driving me crazy off and on for the last several months. This past week though it's been constantly sore. Seems like the recommended stretch/strength excercises are the same for most hip problems so I thought I'd take a little time off running and do those excercises. Of course there's the age old "don't stretch when you're cold," so I'm wondering what other people have done about warming up for hip stretches without further aggravating the injury? Or does it not matter?
                        Heroes never die. They just reload.