Why You Hate Cyclists (Read 1098 times)

Zoomy, actually, I haven't posted about it before because he's a new friend that I met only a few months ago after my big race. We 'bonded' because of matching t-shirts or tattoos and realized that we raced against each other. I became Facebook friends with him and read about the story yesterday. But, yes, left handed turns are where drivers often miss seeing the narrow bikers. I usually sit up from my aero position and make sure I have eye contact if there's a left turn signal light on.... My accident that you might recall me talking about (best of rides, worst of rides, Feb 2011) was just me getting too close to a curb because of 2 cars staying in their lanes, and not moving over, and using my aero bars as a pole vaulting stick as I sat on my bike and slammed myself into the sidewalk a few feet away! Didn't touch a car, and neither of the cars who witnessed my spill stopped to ensure I was 'ok'. But, all is good, they weren't rude, they probably didn't even notice me since they were probably texting or chatting with their kids, or... Smile

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

But, all is good, they weren't rude, they probably didn't even notice me since they were probably texting or chatting with their kids, or... Smile

Heh...my closest call was while running.  Dude in a Charter cable van onto the shoulder while fuckin' with his phone...never even saw me.  Had I been on a bike and not even seen the need for evasive action (I ran several feet into the ditch) I'd be a smear on the road (and he'd almost certainly have lost his job and had to pay to have that dent in the front of the van repaired).

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Then there's this guy

Glad he didn't turn out to be like this guy.  I'm thinking getting off the road would have been the more prudent course for the cyclists, though it's good they eventually got the guy arrested.

Feeling the growl again

I'm thinking getting off the road would have been the more prudent course for the cyclists, though it's good they eventually got the guy arrested.

Perhaps, perhaps not....not enough info.  There may not have been a good place for them to pull off/turn off, and you can't just pop off the roadway on a road bike.  Stopping to step off would have required slowing down even further, and stopping could have been perceived by the driver as inviting a confrontation.  Seems like they tried to ignore him and continue what they were doing while documenting the situation, so without more info it seems pretty prudent.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Am I doing this right?

I just wish cyclists would warn me when they pass me, instead of scaring the hell out of me.

Yes, this.  Except I usually jump on their warning too.  

No excuses....