When to Warm-Up before a Race (Read 92 times)

mikeymike

It won't be an issue. Most of it is on roads and the one stretch that's bike path is wide enough and at a point where runners will be spread out.

Runners run

I can't figure out how to quote messages and still have my reply be separate...

Just make sure the first place you click is outside the quote box, and then start typing.

Dave

mikeymike

It won't be an issue. Most of it is on roads and the one stretch that's bike path is wide enough and at a point where runners will be spread out.

Whoops. My bad. I ran the lake tonight in the opposite direction you all were going and, wow, they really did try to keep runners on the sidewalk. That's insane on a summer weeknight. I've run dozens of 5k's around that lake and have never seen that.

Runners run

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I think darkwave summarized it very well. I'd only add one more variable: weather. If it's cold out and I'm running a 5k, I probably need 3-4 miles to warm up. If it's hot, I can probably get away with 1-2.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Wow, that was so much fun!  I finished 14th overall and first in the 40-49 age group with a time of 20:18 officially.  I'm not sure where to find the results on CoolRunning.com but they said they'd be posted tonight.  I've only been running about 5 months but the years of cycling created my cardio base.

It was a perfect venue for warming up.  I went back and forth on the grass for just over 9 minutes, gradually increasing my pace.  I then stopped and did another three minutes shortly before the start.  I felt perfectly warmed up without having tired myself.

Thanks for all the tips!

Personal Records:

5K - 20:07 ran in September 2021 (The second half split during the 10K run listed below.)

10K - 41:10 ran in September 2021

8 miles - 56:15 ran in November 2021

Half Marathon - 1:39:06 ran in September 2020

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Congrats Jason!

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Wow, that was so much fun!  I finished 14th overall and first in the 40-49 age group with a time of 20:18 officially.  I'm not sure where to find the results on CoolRunning.com but they said they'd be posted tonight.  I've only been running about 5 months but the years of cycling created my cardio base.

It was a perfect venue for warming up.  I went back and forth on the grass for just over 9 minutes, gradually increasing my pace.  I then stopped and did another three minutes shortly before the start.  I felt perfectly warmed up without having tired myself.

Thanks for all the tips!

http://www.coolrunning.com/results/19/ma/Aug14_Stride_set1.shtml

Congrats!

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

Thank you both!

Personal Records:

5K - 20:07 ran in September 2021 (The second half split during the 10K run listed below.)

mikeymike

I haven’t raced in 29 years 

Wow, that was so much fun!

I love it when a thread comes together. Congrats!

Runners run

Thanks!  We must have passed each other if you were running in the opposite direction.  I tried to run on the road when I could next to the curb but I did have to spend some time on the sidewalk.  The racers were at a considerable speed differential than the non-participants who were there.  In one case I would have been really slowed down but I called out ‘on your left’ and the people cooperated nicely so I wasn’t really slowed down.

Personal Records:

SMART Approach

Thanks for all the tips!

Good job. I think you nailed it for not racing in years. I also think your warm up was ideal. This time of year with the heat, I like to dial back the warm up time because I want to avoid excess fluid/blood volume loss (important even for a 5K) and body temps going too high right before race. In colder races I will finish my warm up right before race. In hotter races, I generally finish 20 min before and find some shade but continue moving with dynamic movements. For me, extra heat knocks down performance by itself and I don't want to exacerbate it with an overly strenuous warm up.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Good job. I think you nailed it for not racing in years. I also think your warm up was ideal. This time of year with the heat, I like to dial back the warm up time because I want to avoid excess fluid/blood volume loss (important even for a 5K) and body temps going too high right before race. In colder races I will finish my warm up right before race. In hotter races, I generally finish 20 min before and find some shade but continue moving with dynamic movements. For me, extra heat knocks down performance by itself and I don't want to exacerbate it with an overly strenuous warm up.

Thanks.  I know what you mean about heat build up.  Towards the end of the nine minute warm-up, I could definitely feel my core body temperature start to rise and I instinctively felt like I should stop.  I probably didn't need that extra 3 minutes that I did a bit later.

Personal Records: