How often can I run? (Read 785 times)

colinw

Hi everyone - I am a new runner, and I am about 6 weeks into the C25K program enjoying it so far. I just completed my first "long" run of 20 minutes straight and surprised myself by doing it successfully. I have read about starting slow and taking it easy to avoid injury, but now with the nice weather I am interested in running more than 3 times per week. After 6 weeks I am now comfortable with getting out there and running and I would like to go at least every second day or consecutive days if I want to. Is there any harm in this? I am not running terribly long distances (about 4k at the most right now). Thanks for any advice.

5k PR - 26:27 | 10k PR - ??? | HM PR - 2:09:14

#artbydmcbride

It sounds okay to me. You are listening to your body and that is the important thing. Those plans are kind of one size fits all, but the truth is some folks are naturally more resilient or have better basic fitness and can handle more miles sooner.

Runners run

you might find adding a 4rth day actually helps... for a while I was doing 4 days a week... what I found was my body wanted every other day... which puts you on 4 days one week 3 the other... my favorite schedule for 4 days was.... M, w, th, saturday. Here is the thing... if your body hurts rest two days... and go Tue, Th, Sat.... I don't think looking at your log that adding one more 2 mile run would hurt you. especially if you are running slow enough so when you finish you think you could do it again. listen to your body. If it isn't hurting... you are not sore... ankels, knees, tendons... feet.... aren't hurting then go ahead and add a day. Folks get into trouble when they crank it up Too much... like go from what you are doing to adding another day and trying to run longer... Like if you said... next week I am going to run 4 days... for a total of 20 miles... well that would be too much... But going from 3 days @ total of about 10 miles to 4 days at about 12-14 miles would be ok. But I wouldn't add too many more miles than that the first week. then you can add 10% to your total weekly milage each week. And a piece of advice that has really helped me... ever 4rth week take it easier... so if you were running say a total of 10 miles, then 12, then 13, take a step back week... to say 8-9... then back to 12,13,14, (then back to 10)... then 13,14,15... at some point I think on the low end (10-20 total weekly miles) adding slightly more than 10% is probably ok...

Your body starts to make physiological adaptations pretty quickly. You'll find that within 3-4 weeks that you can handle an increased workload in terms of consecutive minutes running, being able to maintain your breathing, etc etc. Unfortunately, it takes between 6 and 8 weeks for your bone and tendons to catch up with the adaptations, so people think they can handle an increased workload up to 2-5 weeks earlier than they really can. That's why people get stress fractures relatively early in a training program. Adding a 4th day probably won't be a problem - I'd follow jsobo's advice and go every other day which will give you a 3 day week followed by a 4 day week and gives you the option to take 2 days of rest if you are sore any particular day. I certainly wouldn't go more often than that for at least a few weeks. It doesn't hurt to go a little slower at the outset and build up an adequate base to increase your mileage off of. Nice work on the C25k and getting up to 20 minutes of running, by the way. Good luck.

Run to Win
          25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

colinw

Thank you very much for the replies. jsobo119 - I appreciate you sharing your expertise and advice. I think I will try just going every 2nd day for now to see how things go. I hear so much about injury, and I don't want to lose the momentum I have gained in the last 5 weeks. I will remember to take it slowly and every 4th week scale back a bit. Run to Win - Your comment about how quickly a body adapts to an increased workload is very true. When I first started the C25K I could barely finish the 60 second intervals. I was huffing and puffing and checking to see if a minute had passed. Yeterday morning I did the full 20 minutes and felt great. When it was over I felt like I could keep going, but I want to stick to the plan. It is amazing to me to think that I went from less than 1 minute running to 20 minutes straight. I am not setting any speed records, but I am enjoying it, losing weight, and feeling great. Thanks again for the helpful replies.

5k PR - 26:27 | 10k PR - ??? | HM PR - 2:09:14

JakeKnight

No more than seven days per week. Wink I think as long as you keep it mostly easy, you can probably run as much as you want. The more the better. Just make sure you're taking it truly easy on some of the days, and don't up the mileage too fast. The more I run the less I get injured (within reason). And the faster and fitter I get. Be careful. Listen to your body. But if you enjoy it that much, and you're willing to go slow and be patient, I say go for it. You can certainly at least add another day in there. The only caution I'd have is if you are overweight; in that case, be a little more careful.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
              -----------------------------

I'm gonna take the conservative approach and recommend that you stick with the program as written. THE biggest killer of newbies is trying to do too much too soon and the C25K program is written to prevent just that. "Listening to your body" is a good recommendation, but that is a learned skill and not necessarily something a new runner possesses. As Blaine pointed out, it takes your bones and tendons (along with other connective tissues) longer to adapt than your breathing. This leaves a new runner ripe for injuries such as shin splints and runners knee. The only thing that happens quickly in running is injury. Follow the program and give your body the time it needs to adapt. Tom