Outer Calf Pain...does my self-diagnosis sound likely? (Read 3509 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Gastrocnemius Strain For about the past week--ever since doing a few runs on ice, slippery packed snow, and loose, "sand-like" snow--I have had this nagging pain when I run. It's at about the middle of my calf, kind of to the side...closer to the back of my calf than to my shins. It's worst for about the first mile, then it seems to ease up, so I don't know that it's technically a strain--maybe just a weak, somewhat irritated muscle. My new shoes (same model as my previous pair) haven't made any difference. The pain is accompanied by muscle weakness...like my left leg doesn't quite want to support my body, so I end up running awkwardly until it works itself out a bit (my hubby claims that when he was running cross country in HS that he would have similar issues when it was particularly cold outside). It doesn't really hurt at all when I'm not running, but did hurt when I did 30 minutes of kick-boxing yesterday. I'm thinking that taking a few days off and maybe not doing a long run this weekend might be enough to help it to heal...does this sound reasonable? Any other thoughts of what the problem could be, or solutions? I've been stretching my calves as much as normal (since I have a history of tight calves, anyhow...I do the foot against the wall stretch, standing crossing legs, standing and lifting my toes, touching toes, "figure 4," etc.), but maybe there are specific stretches that might target that spot better. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Man, this sounds somewhat similar to the calf problem I had (see the thread about the evil knot in my calf) except I think it was my soleus that was screwy, as I could feel it the most when I did the stretch at the bottom of this page (http://www.halhigdon.com/15Ktraining/Stretch.htm). I actually could feel the knot though (which didn't hurt except when I was running), whereas you just mention a nagging pain. Stretching didn't really help my knot, even after I stayed off it for a week. Self-massage and ice made it feel better, but the knot-feeling didn't go away until I had my massage therapist beat the crap out of it and just get the knot out. Haven't noticed it since.
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

You know, I'm not convinced that it's not the soleus, either...in some ways it feels like it's well below my skin's surface and the soleus is under the gastroc, right? And when I just tried those bottom two stretches on that link you posted, I definitely feel a "twinge" when I do the soleus stretch, while the gastroc stretch just feels fine. I feel the twinge and weakness when I get up from a seated position or straighten my leg with weight on it. Hmmm...perhaps if I had more "shape" to my legs I would be better able to pinpoint where pains are coming from. Treetrunks for legs are annoying for so many reasons... Tongue k

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I'm getting more suspicious that it is my soleus: wikipedia entry

~ Sarah Kay