Best course mapper (Read 93 times)

tomatolover

it being 2017, I’m assuming there’s some amazing course mapper out there that I have yet to find though I keep looking!).  It seems the technology is here, but the capability is not.What gives? This is what I’m looking to do:

-EASILY map out a route with mile markers

- make notes on map

-share with friends

-and, this is the big one- export to phone so that it does an audio google directions while running thing (turn left at next street) so I don’t need to look at the map.

- last: ability to view, download and run other people’s courses with audio map directions.

I’ve tried mapmyrun and HATE it, finding it really clunky and does not give audio directions (and also, can’t create a map in the app).

This is has to exist, right??

thanks!

mattw4jc

I don't think an ideal solution exists for this list. It would be nice to simply download a course and get directions. I think even Google Map type directions wouldn't work though because my route could use a trail or shortcut that the map doesn't know about.

I use to use one called Bike Route Toaster. One thing I could do with it was set turn notifications and warnings that a turn was coming up. I then exported that to my Garmin watch and it would beep when a turn was approaching and show an arrow and/or the street name I was to turn on. It was a bit of a manual process to create these just right, but it helped me navigate through some unfamiliar areas and previewing race courses.

The phone usage you describe is good, but I don't always run with a phone and think these fancy GPS watches should be more than capable of guiding us too.

davepete57

Check out RunGo. Easy mapping and with works on phones as well with audio instructions. My running club swears by it.

CraigRunsFar

it being 2017, I’m assuming there’s some amazing course mapper out there that I have yet to find though I keep looking!).  It seems the technology is here, but the capability is not.What gives? This is what I’m looking to do:

-EASILY map out a route with mile markers

- make notes on map

-share with friends

-and, this is the big one- export to phone so that it does an audio google directions while running thing (turn left at next street) so I don’t need to look at the map.

- last: ability to view, download and run other people’s courses with audio map directions.

I’ve tried mapmyrun and HATE it, finding it really clunky and does not give audio directions (and also, can’t create a map in the app).

This is has to exist, right??

thanks!

Hi, yes RunGo can do pretty much everything you want

- Create routes on routes.rungoapp.com website or directly on the RunGo iPhone or Android App

- Add custom notes along the route using the website, it can be something like "bathroom on the right", or "go down the stairs" its the little speach bubble icon to add these.

- You can share any routes with friends, they can access them on the website or from the app, if you make them public there are searchable for anyone, or you can keep a route private and just share it with friends you send the link.

- It has turn-by-turn voice navigation on the iPhone and Android (also the app is free)

- There are over 100,000 routes created buy other runners around the world you can download and run with voice navigation.

In addition you can import GPX files to create routes.

If you pay then you can also export GPX data and access more advanced features like live tracking, but everything I mention above is free.

Also I'm the founder of RunGo and if you have any questions you can email me at craig@rungoapp.com

Craig

tomatolover

thanks Craig- will be checking this out!