I Would Run 500 Miles... (Read 2833 times)

Lynx, it's still 1.6km.  We're also in a tiny town in the middle of nowhere, so I'm pretty sure planning for evacuation is one of those things we only do because we have to. 

NoKenyan, I have embarrassingly little of anything resembling a training plan.  I had done a few long runs (around 8-10 miles) then thought, "Hrm, I wonder if I could do 13.2 today."  That began my week-ending long runs.  I run almost daily because I like it, but I don't run if anything hurts.  If running fast makes me feel sore or painful, I slow down.  If I'm still not feeling it, I stop.  If I ever feel a tweak or pain, I take a day off (either dumb luck or fast recovery times--this hasn't happened in over three weeks).  After long runs and hard runs, I take it easy for a couple days.  ...I generally don't know how many miles I'm about to do when I go out for a run.  I just let my legs and lungs guide me, with some general plans that I sometimes abandon.  I had tired calves and quads for about two days after the twenty, but no pain.  It was gone today, so I did a little interval training (which I decided when I walked out the door to run) and it felt great.  Mile 5 was my best training mile so far!

Whimsy is what guides my training. 

zoom-zoom, I love the recess running club.  I don't mean to make all our kids sound lethargic.  One of my coworkers and I are running a trail marathon in November, and we've got a decent number of the kids who want to come out and do the 5K that's at the event. 

moneyman, as a teacher, I completely agree with you.  If I could tell you some of the things I've heard at conferences...

Bonkin, it had to be very, very hard to avoid laughing!

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
    Emil Zatopek

Believe

I attended a parent meeting for the cross country team at my daughter's middle school. I almost busted out laughing when the coach said "you do NOT need to take your son or daughter to the hospital when their leg muscles are sore". I'm glad I didn't, because I could tell by the "deer in the headlight" expressions on many of the parents' faces, that maybe it DID need to be said.

I am quite certain that it did need to be said.  And can you also imagine the kids whining when  they get home because they were a little sore.  I mean whtever happened to the President's Physical Fitness test?

Lynx

I mean whtever happened to the President's Physical Fitness test?

( questionmarks flying around my head) 

There is a PresidentÄs Physical Fitness test in the USA??? what is that?