Micah True autopsy information (Read 1869 times)

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Alex decided to do a blog post about this, and it's a good one:

http://sweatscience.runnersworld.com/2012/05/did-running-cause-micah-trues-death/

Agreed, it's good.  (linkified for you)

Thanks for that link. Good article.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
      malikinam

spam is not funny
        xor

i have some jokes and i want to share these jokes with you and i hope you will enjoy very much..

thanks..

What we have here is a spammer warming up.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

What we have here is a spammer warming up.

He/she/it didn't even pick the proper thread.  I should point him/her/it to the jokes thread. Tongue

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

JimR

He/she/it didn't even pick the proper thread.  I should point him/her/it to the jokes thread. Tongue

(S)he didn't quite grab me on the opening sequence.  I have a feeling these jokes are going to be a letdown.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I hope s/he will come back an share some witticisms.  Perhaps we will be pleasantly surprised. Wink

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Don't assume because you're fit and/or thin that your heart is fine.  But, I do wonder, though, what the recommendation is for a person without a known heart problem.  I'm not sure I ever would have had that first EKG if my doctor hadn't heard my murmur all those years ago.  Although, she's always testing me for random stuff, so...

I don't think I've ever had an EKG, at least outside of a hospital/surgical setting.  Every time I hear one of those stories about healthy people who die from undiagnosed heart stuff I wonder why everyone doesn't have their heart checked along with routine blood work and stuff.  My kid had an EKG in the back of an ambulance at a race I was running (he was so fascinated by the ambulance and the paramedics' stuff that they showed him how some of the equipment worked and gave him a print-out of his EKG).  Is it typically an expense thing?

~ Sarah Kay

Best Present Ever

I don't think I've ever had an EKG, at least outside of a hospital/surgical setting.  Every time I hear one of those stories about healthy people who die from undiagnosed heart stuff I wonder why everyone doesn't have their heart checked along with routine blood work and stuff.  My kid had an EKG in the back of an ambulance at a race I was running (he was so fascinated by the ambulance and the paramedics' stuff that they showed him how some of the equipment worked and gave him a print-out of his EKG).  Is it typically an expense thing?

ECG is relatively cheap, but it gives a very limited amount of information.  It wouldn't necessarily tell you that you had a problem.  

Julia1971

I'll defer to Mamax3 on the expense and utility.  Although, I think one of the Runner's World stories indicated this was a condition that would have been caught had Micah True seen a doctor and apparently, he hadn't seen a doctor regularly.  This story did inspire me to check in again with my cardiologist.  I like running and all, but I'm not trying to die doing it...  About the same time as this story, I was watching the Kentucky Derby and one of the owners had some kind of heart attack and that also scared me.  How can someone have a blockage that bad and it's not caught somehow?  Ugh!  I don't know.  It makes sense that if the tests don't tell you much there's no reason to do them. 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

The causes of most heart-related deaths among runners cannot be picked up by an ECG.

You can have near-complete coronary artery blockage, and all routine tests will be normal. To discern coronary artery disease, you need relatively expensive and/or invasive testing.

Micah True's cardiac condition, which very well may NOT have contributed to his death, was not something that would have been picked up on an ECG or on most (but not all) of the tests that would be used to look for coronary artery disease.

Julia1971

Most heart-related deaths among runners cannot be picked up by an ECG.

You can have near-complete coronary artery blockage, and all routine tests will be normal. To discern coronary artery disease, you need relatively expensive and/or invasive testing.

Micah True's cardiac condition, which very well may NOT have contributed to his death, was not something that would have been picked up on an ECG or on most (but not all) of the tests that would be used to look for coronary artery disease.

I'm going trust this on faith. 

I'm beginning to understand why heart disease is still the #1 killer in America.  You pretty much just have to wait for something bad to happen.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

You pretty much just have to wait for something bad to happen.

Well, that is not really true. There are good ways to screen for coronary artery disease, which again is not what often kills the runners whose deaths make the news. But coronary artery disease is very very common, very likely for the same reasons that obesity and diabetes are now on the rise. The first step to discovering coronary artery disease is to take a good history from a patient. There are several factors that put you at greater risk, including a family history, hight blood pressure, high cholesterol, smoking, diabetes, etc. Once you have risk factors, then it makes sense at a certain age to be tested using one of the more expensive / invasive tests (which make no sense if you are young, healthy and have no risk factors).

The problem is that all the testing in the world cannot PREVENT coronary artery disease, but instead can only guide treatment once it is found. If you have coronary artery disease, you have risk of a heart attack. If you do not have coronary artery disease, your risk is much lower.  Better to focus on preventing it than on treating it, of course.

Julia1971

Well, that is not really true.

Perhaps a bit too fatalist?  You got a glimpse into what it means to be one of my doctors.  Smile 

all these jokes are terrible.