I'm so PROUD of her!! (Read 958 times)

Old, Slow, Happy

There is a new person on this site. Her name is Jan Nofziger. She is no longer a youngster and she has been widowed twice. I met her about 25 years ago when we bought her house. She came to me earlier this summer and asked if I would run a 5k with her. She has been walking and running for several years and felt she would like to give it a try. She wanted me to run with her for support. We choose the Susan Komen Race for the Cure in Toledo. She didn't want to run where anyone knew her. There are so many people in that race that no one would pick her out unless they knew. We got to downtown Toledo early. As we were walking around the start, Jan was interviewed by the local TV station. That was cool!! She was very nervous about the race. She wanted to run about 10 minute miles. It took us about 45 seconds to get to the start line after the gun. She ran at a nice pace for the first mile. We skipped the first water stop since it was so crowded. She continued on running at a good pace to the 2 mile water stop. There she stopped for a little water. The last mile had the only uphill section. Jan is normally runs on the local track so the uphill took a little out of her. With about 3/4 mile to go, she asked me to go ahead. I thought she looked a little tired, so I stuck with her. I gave her some vague comments about the end being right around the next corner. I was wrong about it three times Big grin. She kept on running. We finished in about 31:30. She was soooo happy. She's getting slightly more serious about the running. I was hoping she would post this, but I'm not sure she knows how yet. Anyway, she ran great and finished right on her goal of 10:00 miles. WAY TO GO JAN!!!!!!!
      WAY TO GO JAN!!!!!!!
      +1, and just as importantly way to go Richard!!!!!

E.J.
      Greater Lowell Road Runners
      Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

That's awesome! I love when people run anyways, even if they are nervous about running! Good job jan! Next thing ya know it will be 26.2 Wink
          Congratulations Jan!! And kudos for you Richard for being a great support system!
          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Awesome, Jan! Welcome to this great club! Big grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Another Passion

Well done Jan and encouraging friend, Richard! Sorry I didn't see you there Richard. I too was a pacer/encourager for that race as well for my DW! She really struggled with about 3/4 mile left as well, but ended up PR'ing by almost a minute at 28:52! Shocked Big grin

Rick
              "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
              "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
              runningforcassy.blogspot.com

It is so good to hear all the encouraging words! I started running to help deal with my grief. It feels so good to just to out in the fresh air and feel like it is helping you both mentally and physically. I have lost some weight and definited toned my body. I think I am in better physical shape running that I have ever been in my life. (Saying alot for a 64 year old!) :-) I will continue and maybe I won't be as nervous the next race! Thanks again everyone and especially Dick!!

Another Passion

Great job, Jan. Keep up the good work!

Rick

Run the race God set B4U

Awesome job Jan, keep up the good work...HAPPY RUNNING Smile
                    5K's (11), Half Marathon (1), Relay Marathon (1), 15K's (2)
                    redleaf

Yippie! Way to go Jan!! and kudos to Richard too.

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

Congratulations Jan!!! Smile

Michelle

Old, Slow, Happy

Well done Jan and encouraging friend, Richard! Sorry I didn't see you there Richard. I too was a pacer/encourager for that race as well for my DW! She really struggled with about 3/4 mile left as well, but ended up PR'ing by almost a minute at 28:52! Shocked Big grin
                          Rick--You did a nice jog pacing as well. Tell your DW, "WAY TO GO!!!! Nice PR. I wore my RA shirt so I was dressed like my picture. Wish I would have known you if I saw you. I'm sure we'll recognized each other sometime.

Old, Slow, Happy

Thanks again everyone and especially Dick!!
                            BTW.....That's me. Just so ya know.

Another Passion

Rick--You did a nice jog pacing as well. Tell your DW, "WAY TO GO!!!! Nice PR. I wore my RA shirt so I was dressed like my picture. Wish I would have known you if I saw you. I'm sure we'll recognized each other sometime.
                              Heh! I wore mine too! Too bad we didn't bump into each other. I'm sure we will at some point and, I'm looking forward to it. Wink

Rick

Welcome Jan! Congrats on your first race!!!! Great job! Rick, congrats to your DW as well! Awesome job pacers Smile

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
                                Thyroid Support Group