2013 Sub-19 5K (Read 1932 times)

Strict WTF adherent

Will turn 37 midyear.

Fuuuuuuuuuuck.

OMR

I'm in for the sub-19 in 2013 challenge.

I'll be 48 at the end of 2012, and my current PR is 19:47.  Hoping that might change this weekend.

I don't race many 5Ks though...

From your name I'm guessing you're in the UK? Do you know about parkruns? Free weekly 5k races all over the country: http://www.parkrun.org.uk/  ... plenty of chances to practice.

Chris UK

From your name I'm guessing you're in the UK? Do you know about parkruns? Free weekly 5k races all over the country: http://www.parkrun.org.uk/  ... plenty of chances to practice.

Hi - yes thanks for that.

I was aware of them but the nearest currently to me is in Hull - a 90 mile round trip with two tolls over the Humber Bridge. I believe there are moves afoot to get one in Lincoln which would be more practical for me - a mere 52 mile round trip!!

I might be able to get a few Club members interested in car sharing to cut costs but 90 miles for an 18:59  Smile is quite an investment (thinking family commitments etc.)

3000 miles

Sub 19:00 for 5K  05-03-13 Clee Prom 5K - 19:00:66 that was bloody close!

Sub-40:00 for 10K 17-03-13 Gainsborough 10K - 39:43

Sub 88:00 for HM

Hi - yes thanks for that.

I was aware of them but the nearest currently to me is in Hull - a 90 mile round trip with two tolls over the Humber Bridge. I believe there are moves afoot to get one in Lincoln which would be more practical for me - a mere 52 mile round trip!!

I might be able to get a few Club members interested in car sharing to cut costs but 90 miles for an 18:59  Smile is quite an investment (thinking family commitments etc.)

Interesting - when you look carefully at the map there are some quite big gaps, especially in areas of relatively low population density. Which I guess shouldn't be a surprise.

Clearly you and your clubmates need to bit the bullet and organise a parkrun near you Smile

Sir Diggby

Master of My Domain

Nevermind, I'll be lucky to ever break 20 again...ugh, I hate 5k's.

You look so absurd, you look so obscene...

Buelligan

I am 50... but l still feel like a 49 year old. So odd. Never been sub-19.

I'm in. Don't know when I'll make the first attempt but it will be before June (probably March). I have gone sub 19 a billion years ago, but I'm going to pretend like it hasn't every happened since it was another life.

In.  Planned to do this in 2012 but ended up doing longer stuff instead.  19:28 as the startpoint.

19:23 as of yesterday.  Will turn 37 in 2013 since people are asking.

Do what you want, just how you like. Nobody has to know.

Runner100

Thanks.  Track work obviously helping more than I thought.

Do what you want, just how you like. Nobody has to know.

OMR

Congrats on the new PR, setantae.  I also had good luck this weekend, getting my old PR (19:47) from 2011 off the books, with a new one at 19:17.  Makes getting a sub-19 in 2013 seem a little more realistic.

Looks like some of you are already working hard toward getting that sub 19. Great work, setantae and OMR!  

Post Asthma Era PRs: 5K--18:39 (Mar 2016), 10K--39:40 (Feb 2018), HM--1:28:04 (Jan 2017), MAR--2:59:12 (November 2017)

Mark, thanks for starting the thread.  I'm definitely in for a sub-19 in 2013, but I don't know exactly when I'll be ready to go for it.  It'll be fun -- and motivating! -- watching others, though, as I get myself in shape.

Oh, and I turn 50 in the spring.  Ran a 19:29 in JUN2012, though -- my fastest since the Reagan years.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Mmmmm...beer

I may be getting ahead of myself, considering I haven't gone sub-20 yet, but I'm confident that it's coming soon.  I'm curious if I can do sub-19 within the next year, part of me says yes, since I've gotten this far with no speed work at all.  So I think with some dedicated training I still have a good bit of room for improvement. 

So I'll throw my hat in the ring and see what happens.  I'll be turning 39 in 2013 and have not gone sub-19 yet.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!