2013 Sub-19 5K (Read 1932 times)

L2Run

RoadRunner

Please add me to the sub 19 list for 2013.  I will be 50 on Feb 4th and I won't be trying for a PR before then.  I have run sub 19 on 02/2011.  I will be running a 5K on 4/27 but won't be attempting to break 19 until 10/12.

Today was my first day of training in a few months... 2 miles in 24 min.  I love a challenge.

Good-luck everyone!

Walk-Jogger

Cecil

Did you run in HS/college or did you pick it up as an adult?  If you were running all along where was your peak?

I have had several folks here and outside tell me I could get my times back down or even better than they were in college (low 17's).  Trick is getting the miles in....more than I have.  With a wife, a 16 month old, a job and a house that's proven difficult...may even give up the ghost and start running at 6AM instead of the evenings just to get a longer run in for the day than I have been.  I am totally a night owl.

This thread's helping me stay motivated at least early on so far....now that my name's been put on the list I don't want to get an F!

I didn't start running until the age of 28 - I thought I hated running up to that point  but my younger brother was a marathoner and got me started running with him nice and easy, and then talked me into running a local 12K race. I decided running wasn't so bad after all, and I kept on with it.

I probably "peaked" at the age of 32, running 25-30 miles per week and only for maybe 4-5 months of the year, from early spring through June or so. I was a cyclist first and foremost, and spent my summers riding my bike, and in the winters (3 to 4 months)  I took off and did absolutely nothing.

My best running year was 1987, where I ran the local 12K Bloomsday race in 45:32 or so, and my best 10K time that year was 37: xx, exact time unknown. At the local summer open track races, my best mile time was 5:09, without specific training for it, and I raced a 57 second 400M once. I don't have my paper running logs from back then; unfortunately they're long since lost. I was doing a lot of international travelling for my job back in the '80s and early '90's and that started cutting into my running after 1987, and then in 1991 at the age of 36 I went through a nasty divorce and gave up on running, career and life for a while. I jogged a little bit on and off, but didn't start running seriously again until the summer of 2007, at age of 52. At that point I was up to over 170 lbs, nearly 40 lbs heavier than I am today. I'm 5'7" and my running weight when I was in my early 30's was about 136 lbs, and today I like to keep it around 133 lbs, which is about what I weighed at the age of 20. I might have been 129 lbs back then, but I prefer to keep a bit more muscle on now and don't want to drop to 129 - it doesn't feel healthy when I go below 132 these days. I'm starting to ramble on now... 

Retired &  Loving It

I ran 18:50 today at the "Freeze Your Fanny" 5K race

Congrats Cecil, great to see someone hit this!

Do what you want, just how you like. Nobody has to know.

Walk-Jogger

Congrats Cecil, great to see someone hit this!

Thanks, Setantae; I'm just glad I was able to get this done at this race, since my next planned 5K in Feb. is on a known long course and comes on a double race weekend, the day after I race a 4-miler, and I'm much less likely to get under 19:00 on that one. And then I don't currently  have another 5K race on my calendar until mid-April.

Looks like you just recently ran 19:01?? You'll get this on your next race probably!

Retired &  Loving It

Thanks, I hope so.  Won't be for a while as I am concentrating on a sub 1:30 HM for the next couple of months.  Might sneak in a 5k or two on the way but they won't be all out efforts.  That's once I get back to running of course, have been ill for the last few days; should get back out there tomorrow.

Do what you want, just how you like. Nobody has to know.

Bump

So anyone have a race planned over the next couple of weeks?  I found a local 5K on March 10 on a FLAT course along the river at a park in MD.  My Sheldon Cooper memory recalls that I've run the course twice....in 1994 (17:12 with a bloody heel the last 2 miles) and 2002 (20:23, during one of my many comeback attempts, when I lost to a 13 year old girl).  Realistically I think I should be under 20 and have a chance at my 21st century PR of 19:28.

The good news is there's no preregistering.  If I don't sleep well the night before....if the weather sucks....if I lose my momentum....I can skip.

How is everyone's training going?  Things are going well here.  Despite several days of training in the snow, on the snow, on the ice, and temps in the low 20s even upper 10's, I've been out there.  Last week ending Friday 31.5 miles, this week looking like 35, including my first 10 mile run in months.  PT and my efforts to work on form are also both having positive effects.

Sounds like a good race - hopefully the weather will be a little better by March.

I'm doing a local 5k tomorrow, my first since November. Training has been going pretty well. I've had about 2 straight months of 50 mile weeks with several good workouts. I ran 19:12 at my last race so I'm hoping to take a crack at sub-19 this time. I am definitely in better shape now than I was a couple months ago. The only thing I'm worried about is the weather. We're getting some snow tonight and tomorrow. Not much but enough to make the roads kinda iffy. I'm not sure how the course conditions will be. The race isn't until 3PM so maybe things will clear up a little by then.

Bump

So anyone have a race planned over the next couple of weeks?  I found a local 5K on March 10 on a FLAT course along the river at a park in MD.  My Sheldon Cooper memory recalls that I've run the course twice....in 1994 (17:12 with a bloody heel the last 2 miles) and 2002 (20:23, during one of my many comeback attempts, when I lost to a 13 year old girl).  Realistically I think I should be under 20 and have a chance at my 21st century PR of 19:28.

The good news is there's no preregistering.  If I don't sleep well the night before....if the weather sucks....if I lose my momentum....I can skip.

How is everyone's training going?  Things are going well here.  Despite several days of training in the snow, on the snow, on the ice, and temps in the low 20s even upper 10's, I've been out there.  Last week ending Friday 31.5 miles, this week looking like 35, including my first 10 mile run in months.  PT and my efforts to work on form are also both having positive effects.

Runner100

-

Thanks! Good luck to you as well. It looks like you've been getting some good work in lately - really nice tempo on Wednesday, for instance. That should bode well for you.  Hopefully the hills won't be too bad.

I usually lose it in mile 2 as well, so that'll be my focus tomorrow. Just gotta get my head together. I get really nervous the day before a race.

Good luck tomorrow youngoffender. Hope the weather works out. You are so close. I'm having another crack at sub 19 at a 5k this Sunday. They've moved this 30+ year old race to a new course this year and word is it's hilly. On the plus side I've been getting decent mileage and some quality in recently, so there is hope I can do it. Like many, I seem to lose a bit of focus in mile 2 of a 5k so I'm really going to work on that on Sunday. Going out fast and will try to hold it to the  bitter end. I'm going to try and channel me some Cecil speed!

Runner100

-

Oh, cool! Well, it looks like you're in good shape for the half, then.

Thanks. I wouldn't normally run a tempo like that  the week of a 5k but I'm racing the myrtle beach half on 2/16 so that workout was geared towards testing out pace for that race. I get nervous before goal races too, hey it means we are up for it!

20:00 today. In line with expectations - it was icy so we were all a bit careful on the corners. I'm at the beginning of my 18 week marathon build-up. If past experience is anything to go by I should be quite a bit faster come marathon time... assuming I stay relatively injury free, so 19 seems possible.

Nice job, pr100. Seems like a good start to the year.

I ran 19:55 today. It was pretty brutal - very windy. I went out too fast and paid for it - I think the first 1000m were at 5:40 pace or something. I had the wind at my back at this point and was just trying to hang with a pack of other women. When we turned into the wind, I looked down at my watch to check the pace and saw that I was taking it way too hard. And then the wind slowed me down anyway. Still, pretty happy all things considered. With better pacing and conditions, I think I could get close to 19 flat right now. As a side note, the women's field was stacked in this race. I think the winner ran 17-ish and there were several more in that range.

Runner100

-

Great starting races Dougal 12, youngoffender, pr100...good job getting one out there to build on this early in the season.  youngoffender wow that is a stacked women's field.  pr100 I'm sure your times will come down with the mileage buildup...Dougal you're sure to be an early graduate of this one!

No race here, I did hit 35 miles for the week ending Friday which is my best week in several months.  I know that mileage seems low for a lot of you here.  After a day off Sat I did 10 on Sunday in a probably a little too fast 1:14:50 with the last 5 in 36:37.  I felt really good and it was warm enough for shorts for the first time in a couple weeks.  Definitely taking it easy the next 2 days and don't need another tempo this wk!