Turtle and a 10 miler (Read 128 times)

SunDrop

I am slow (11 minute mile), but getting faster. My goal was to run a half in October, so I am not really in training at the moment. I run 15 - 20 miles a week, and my long run is currently 6 miles (I am increasing it weekly). I have run several 5k races and worked hard to improve my times over the last 5 months.

I just found out about a 10 mile race at the end of June. Basically, I would have 7 weeks to get ready.  I realize I won't place (I GET that I'm a turtle), but I think I would like to experience it. However, I DON'T want to get injured or push myself too much, too fast. I had to lay off running some because of IT band issues.

Could I/Should I attempt it?

GinnyinPA

You have almost two months to increase your long run from 6 to 10 or 11 miles.  Not a problem.  I would also work to get my mileage consistently above 20 mpw.  Keep most of your runs slow and take periodic cut-back weeks.  The only reason not to do it is if the race is likely to be hot.  End of June where I live can be really hot and humid, so we have very few long races except trail races.

Relax, you've got 5 months to go and it's only 13 miles, you'll be fine. Are you just trying to finish or haull ass and get a good time? Just focus on finishing and you'll be cool.

some call me Tim

Like Ginny said, getting your LR to 10 is not a problem to do gradually, and even if you didn't make it quite to 10 it'd be fine for the race. I totally agree that the race would be good for you - if you approach it with the mindset that you're running for experience and stay pretty close to your long run pace you'll probably feel great and gain some confidence about racing the half (it's only another 5k, after all  ;-) )

Also, fwiw, I periodically beat my IT band into submission with self deep-tissue massage.. there are lots of methods out there. But I think it's important to take care of the 'tight spots' as they arise.