I'm Fat Adapted. Now what?? (Read 142 times)

dblendc

I'm looking at bumping up into the ultra racing distances. In doing so, I spent nearly the last 4 months doing low intensity workouts and curbing my reliance of carbs as fuel.

I had my Energy Systems (metabolism) tested two different times to see what combination of fat and carbs I was burning while running. The first test only had me on the treadmill for 12 mins (with increasing intensities every 4 mins) before I was at a 50/50 fat/carb mix. My second test yielded VERY different results. (I tried to attach a pic of my test result but couldn't figure it out . So, I made that image my profile pic if you would like to see the test details.) I spent a full 40 mins testing (with increasing intensities every 4 mins) and the energy I was burning was a 59% Fat / 41% Carb mixture. The last testing segment was at 6:54 pace and while I was working (HR measured 183) I wasn't struggling with the pace.

Bully for me!    -   -   -   I think

So, now what do I do with this information? Slow and easy training brought me to these test results so I do I keep plodding along? or since I know I would be burning 70-90 percent fats at 7-8 min/mile pace as measured by my test should I ratchet up the intensity to those levels?

Thanks,

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I assume you've read Volek/Phinney?  I can run and bike at low-mod intensity on ketogenic level carbs without any issue...until I try to attempt anaerobic efforts (pedaling up hill, cyclocross, sprinting)...then it's like I don't have go-fast gears.  And part of this could be that I use keto to drop weight over the Winter months when I'm not in serious training for anything for a few months.  Also, I can't recall that I've done any runs or rides >2 hours while on low carbs, but it was interesting reading about Timothy Olson's Western States win while training and racing on low carb.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay