Garmin Forerunner in Cold Weather (<20F) (Read 83 times)

JMac11

Milkman

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone here has experienced issues with their Garmin Forerunners in cold weather. I went on a run two weekends ago and I know my watch was at least 80% charged, but about 15 minutes into the run, it read as almost 0 battery. It was 15F that day with 15mph headwinds, so I'm wondering if it was a coldness issue. The battery never actually died during the run, and after a few hours at home, it returned back to showing approximately 60%. I didn't experience on my next run when it was closer to 30.

I'm less worried about the inaccurate reading and more about it actually shutting down if this is a known issue. If not, maybe I just need a new watch.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Next Race: Grete's Great Gallop 10K (8/27)

an amazing likeness

All the various Forerunner models I've used over the years have performed well in cold weather -- I haven’t seen the battery deg you're describing. (the device likely doesn't get all that cold, sitting next to the skin)

The little mp3 player I use for podcasts, on the other hand, has its battery performance really impacted by cold and I have to move it from an outer pocket to being tucked in next to skin or base layer.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

JMac11

Milkman

All the various Forerunner models I've used over the years have performed well in cold weather -- I have seen the battery deg you're describing. (the device likely doesn't get all that cold, sitting next to the skin)

A good clarification I should add: I always put my watch outside of my sleeves, i.e. if it's 15F and I'm wearing a "thick" running jacket, the watch is outside of that, so it will get as cold as the outside weather is. I always hated having to unroll my sleeves if needed to see watch output, especially during workouts, if you've got thick gloves or mittens on which minimize dexterity.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

I've heard that the battery can die after years of use and they require soldering to replace but if the charge reading varied from almost none during the run to 60% after the watch warmed I'd say chances are the battery, which operates on a chemical process, did not function well in the cold. Since all GPS watches use batteries I don't think replacing the watch will help. I agree with Milktruck that keeping it close to the skin will keep the batteries warm and functional. I have a Forerunner 35 and never had an issue with the battery even in 15 F or below temperatures! I don't find it a big deal to pull my sleeve back to check the watch.

"My dear, here we must run as fast as we can, just to stay in place. And if you wish to go anywhere you must run twice as fast as that.” 

an amazing likeness

A good clarification I should add: I always put my watch outside of my sleeves, i.e. if it's 15F and I'm wearing a "thick" running jacket, the watch is outside of that, so it will get as cold as the outside weather is. I always hated having to unroll my sleeves if needed to see watch output, especially during workouts, if you've got thick gloves or mittens on which minimize dexterity.

When I read your post, my thought was along the lines of 'that shouldn't happen, unless the Forerunner is around his sleeve'... I'm not surprised you're seeing battery deg like you describe in that case. Low temps hurt battery performance pretty much across the board, more so as the battery ages.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Arnoldziffel

I have a Forerunner 35 watch, and have never had this problem.  And I use it when cross country skiing, hiking, and running.  Never seen a notable degrade in the battery life during winter.

kcam

My Forerunner 230 never did this, though the coldest I've run in is ~30 deg F.  I think the forerunners are specd down to -4F.

Arnoldziffel, how're things in Hooterville these days?

CanadianMeg

Got Run, eh? in 2022

A good clarification I should add: I always put my watch outside of my sleeves, i.e. if it's 15F and I'm wearing a "thick" running jacket, the watch is outside of that, so it will get as cold as the outside weather is

This is likely the problem.

I put on my layers, then put on my watch so it's at the end of my sleeve but covered. I still have to push the sleeve up a little if I need to check my watch, but I just deal with that. I've done more than a handful of -40*C and colder runs this winter. Your performance is not going to be as good when you are cold anyway.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

sub520

This happened to me all the time with my previous Garmin Forerunner as it was 8+ years old.  For me it was definitely because of the battery.  Once I got a new one, the Garmin worked great in 5 degree weather.

keeponrunning

It happens with my 235 worse than it ever did with my 10 or 310xt. I find the best solution that doesn’t involve undressing to see the screen is to wrap a buff or headband around it to keep it warm— I’ve been running in consistently sub-10F temps and that seems to work.

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

JMac11

Milkman

Thanks everyone. It died on me in my latest run at 15F after working all week on runs in the 20s, so that seems to be the barrier. I'll try some of the methods here. It is a 6 year old 230 at this point but besides this, I'm happy with the battery life.