Mile pacing for a guy who doesn't normally race the mile (Read 100 times)

My club does a mile race each year and I've done it several times but without any specific training. My times seem to be about 40 sec faster than 5k mile pace eg when running around 18.40= 6:05/mile for 5k I did mile in 5:24. A man in my club has run 3:59 and his advice was each 400m the same. First one feels easy. It's all about the 3rd lap when it can be lost. Need to dig in on that lap and maintain pace. Then the last lap sorts itself out

Stevepf

Thank you to all who responded. Good stuff!. Unfortunately the race has been cancelled due to excessive heat. And I was already packing my race bag, getting psyched. Will try same race next year. Oh well...

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Curious - which race was it?  It looks like we're in the same area (DC), and I know there's a road mile in Fredericksburg tomorrow night that I think was still on, last I checked.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Should add - I wouldn't have any qualms about racing a road mile in this weather.  You may be a bit slower, but that race isn't long enough to be dangerous.  The greatest stress is on the volunteers, not the racers.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Stevepf

Curious - which race was it?  It looks like we're in the same area (DC), and I know there's a road mile in Fredericksburg tomorrow night that I think was still on, last I checked.

John Wall mile put on by the Annapolis Striders.

Half Crazy K 2.0

Baltimore Road Runners have a summer track series at Goucher College with the 1600 on 7/24 and 7/31 if you still want to give the mile a chance.

LRB

Should add - I wouldn't have any qualms about racing a road mile in this weather.  You may be a bit slower, but that race isn't long enough to be dangerous.  The greatest stress is on the volunteers, not the racers.

+1