Are there any decent GPS watches around $50? (Read 183 times)

Benjer

I've got an Amazon gift card with some money left to burn, and was thinking about getting a GPS watch that would allow me to easily upload data after a run to RA. I currently use my iPhone, but I wouldn't mind using a watch with a more accurate GPS. However, it's not something I want so much to spend more than $50 or so.

All I've found in that price range that let's you upload running data is a refurbished Garmin Forerunner 110, but I don't know if it would be compatible with RA. Am I searching for something that just doesn't exist in that price range?

runmichigan

Garmin GPS watches are compatible with RA.  You will need a GarminConnect account (free) and to do a one time set up to have any workouts transferred automatically from GarminConnect to RA.   Depending on the model of Garmin you have, you use either an ANT stick plugged into your computer or use WiFI to upload the workout from the watch to GarminConnect.  Once the workout is on GarminConnect it is usually transferred to RA within a few seconds.  You will need to then save it on RA (and add any notes you want).

The cheapest new GPS I have seen is the Soleus that sold for $99.  I do not believe that is compatible with RA though you might be able to upload it to GarminConnect and then get it pushed to RA.

Refurbished Garmin GPS typically start at $50 and go up to $300 (new they start at $150 and go up).  The Forerunner 110 is a solid basic model that tracks your runs and gives you distance and time.

bluerun

Super B****

Forerunner 10 here for $59.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

Benjer

The Forerunner 110 is a solid basic model that tracks your runs and gives you distance and time.

Does the Forerunner 110 upload a map of the run as well?

runmichigan

Does the Forerunner 110 upload a map of the run as well?

All the Garmin Forerunner models upload the GPS information that GarminConnect and RA utilize to display a map.  They do not actually upload the map, but upload a series of recorded positions that are then turned into a map.  You can even change how often the Forerunner records your position.  It is typically every second to every five seconds.

joescott

Yeah.

Forerunner 10 here for $59.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

I just ordered a Garmin 210 (refurbished) for my wife from Amazon for $53 last week.

"I aim to misbehave."

seeEricaRun

Awesome

omdno1

I just ordered a Soleus GPS watch for 32 bucks on ebay NEW but had to return it cause it didn't have a charger BUT

I easily found others all over Ebay. For the moment I had it on, I really loved it. It wasn't too bulky and was somewhat simple.

Highly recommend.

runmichigan

I just ordered a Soleus GPS watch for 32 bucks on ebay NEW but had to return it cause it didn't have a charger BUT

I easily found others all over Ebay. For the moment I had it on, I really loved it. It wasn't too bulky and was somewhat simple.

Highly recommend.

The Soleus GPS is not compatible with RA.

It also has a really complicated interface IMO.  I have two Soleus watches, the latter being a mini that I liked because it was inexpensive and the USB plug is built into the watch so that no separate cable is needed to plug it into a PC for upload.  But the interface is so painfully frustrating that I ultimately switched to a refurb Garmin 620 so I could have a better interface and Bluetooth synching.  It's worth spending a few extra bucks to get something useful.

The Soleus GPS is not compatible with RA.

omdno1

Depends what you're looking for. I resorted to just needing a simple, cheap GPS watch. I don't plan on downloading or uploading and I don't plan on wearing these on a daily basis, just for running. Not going to pay a lot for a device I will hardly wear. Maybe I will use it to track split times or just times in general. It's worth it for the money IMO. My only complaint with all of these are they are too bulky and this one suits me fine (still on the bulky side tho) Although, mine does have a charging cable.