Monkey III (Read 834 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

November 23, 2008. 8 am. Limited to 200 registrants. Registration to open August 1, 2008. 8 am, Central time. carpe simiam.
      November 23, 2008. 8 am. Limited to 200 registrants. Registration to open August 1, 2008. 8 am, Central time. carpe similem.
      Only 200 registrants? Uh-oh. The pressure is on...well, starting August 1st.

Michelle

(Contemplates obtaining a slot to resale on Ebay or the new RA auction site! Big grin )

Vim

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

In 2007, 50% of the slots went in 24 hours. In 2008? There will be no transfers. Evil grin

Imminent Catastrophe

I hear there will be a trail run on Saturday too. Right, Trent? Evil grin

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I heard that last year. But sadly, NONE of the original trail monkeys showed up for 2007.

Go Pre!

why only 200 spots?
                Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

2006, Inaugural year - 100 spots, filled in 3 1/2 months 2007 - 200 spots, filled in 1 1/2 months 2008 - 200 spots, will fill in? There are several reasons why we are limiting the race to 200 registrants: 1. The small size ensures an intimate race where a community can develop and folks can feel like their needs are personally being addressed. 2. The race is held in a large and fairly untrammeled city park and we (the organizers and the park) want to minimize any impact from the race. 3. The race was developed in part as a reaction against the mega-marathons that abound, and the small size is consistent with the initial vision. 4. The race is put on by a small group of volunteers who already are maxed out preparing for 200 runners. 5. Many fees and costs increase above 200 runners. 6. Participants from the past two years have consistently asked us to keep the race small. We walk a balance: we want the marathon to be available to all who want to run it, but do not want to make it too big. In each of the past two years, we did not turn away any runners. As the marathon becomes better known, this may change. Sadly.
                  Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Also, when asked the same question on the local Nashville Striders message board, I answered:
                    There are numerous reasons for putting a cap on the race. These reasons include: 1. It is important to anger the maximum number of runners and message board posters in middle Tennessee as possible. 2. I believe that it is important to protect as many people in middle Tennessee from flying monkey attacks as possible. 3. We'd like to retain a small, intimate feel where we can make sure every runner has their needs adequately met. 4. There simply are not enough fools out there to open it up to many more than 200. 5. Metro Parks do not want us to overtake all of Percy Warner Park with hordes of runners, but would rather us limit the impact and keep things small. 6. The people who actually signed up for and ran this thing (i.e., pay for it) have nearly unanimously asked that we keep it small. 7. I am darn lazy and I just don't have the energy to deal with many more registrants with my volume of spare time. 8. The Nashville Striders, which graciously support and manage the race, have asked that we keep it manageable so that we do not strain their resources. 9. We like to provide door prizes for as many of the runners as possible, provided by our other gracious sponsors; increasing the number would put a strain on the sponsors. 10. It is hard enough reminding just 200 people that the real name of the marathon is the Harpeth Hills Flying Monkey Marathon and that they would do well to remember the monkeys come race day.

Go Pre!

OK - that's 20ish good 'nuff reasons Smile

Imminent Catastrophe

I hear there will be a Hannah Montana concert after the race.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

No. She is not a big enough star. Nor is her daddy. She will be at water stop #5.
                          Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Oh, and to be clear, the 8am start is to make it easier to finish and then start enjoying the local microbrew, which we cannot tap until 12PM.

Hoodoo Guru

Are there special awards if you beat the race director? (And by "beat the race director" I mean finish before him, not pummel him with my fists.)

The tangents are moot.

The more I keep hearing about the good ole HHFMM, the more tempting it is to go ahead and pencil it in for next year. I live 5 miles from Percy Warner... RunningAhead is going to end up ruining my life (in a very good way).