Torn Hip Labrum - advice, recovery and experiences (Read 1147 times)

Hip Redux

OK, based on the seemingly significant number of us on RA suffering through or recovering from labral tears and FAI (femoroacetabular impingement), here's our one stop thread for everyone.  Hopefully this can be a source of info for any new folks potentially looking at this diagnosis, as well.

A few links that are helpful:

http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00571

http://www.hss.edu/conditions_femoroacetabular-impingement-a-patient-guide-to-hip-mobility-and-hip-arthroscopy.asp

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FAIhip/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/BestHipSurgeonsReviews/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/579136442138901/

Diagram of where people feel pain with FAI/labrum issues:

Hip Redux

Ok, and here's my story thus far:

In early July 2013, I ran a 5k without issues and sat down afterwards to rest.  When I went to stand up, my entire right hip was frozen. It was extremely painful to get into a standing position, but once up and moving I was OK. I never felt a "pop" or any other indication that I had something happen to the hip that some people report. Really the only pain I had was when I was trying to stand up out of a sitting position. It was brutal. I went for a run at one point soon after that and I had a "pulled muscle" feeling in my inner thigh for most of it. I decided that I probably shouldn't try to run through it, so took a break from running and just biked (which gave me no trouble).

After two weeks of no running, it felt normal enough that I went running again. A few miles in, I got a sharp pain in my groin/inner thigh and decided it was time to go the doctor.

I was diagnosed with adductor tendonosis and after 4 months of PT/Graston/massage and little improvement, decided to just continue running and deal with the pain. Eventually it got better for a few months and I even hit a monthly mileage PR during this time. I figured the hip stuff was all behind me.

But of course, the sharp groin pain started again and that's what sent me back to the doctor to get the MRA, which showed the labrum tear, along with potentially a pincer impingement and some cartilage damage.

I had never had any hip issues prior to last summer, and even between July and my February diagnosis, I had periods of almost no pain. My pain is more constant now, but more like an ache than the sharp groin pains I was getting during runs.

Surgery is scheduled for May 2nd.

Prince of Fatness

I'll follow along.

I've been dealing with hip issues for 4 years now and just found out that I have a torn labrum this past fall.  I had some decent stretches where I could train for a while but ultimately I would break down.  I did all of the ART, Graston, core work, yoga, etc., and would get temporary relief but nothing that would hold.  This labrum has me thinking that even when it was not torn I was compensating for the impingement, causing imbalance issues.  I have been running off and on my whole adult life but did not do any kind of sustained mileage / training until I was in my early 40's (almost 51 now).  So that explanation would make sense I guess.

Anyway, I have almost forgotten what it is like to train long term.  Right now I would like to be able to exercise (mostly run) consistently without being in pain all of the time.  If I can get to that point we'll see.  Baby steps.

Surgery is in a couple of weeks.  I'll post more here once I get rolling with recovery.

Not at it at all. 

Hip Redux

I totally had compensation - in fact, my PT noticed I would swing my hips away from my impinged side when I walk and run (this was before I had the diagnosis).   We worked a LOT on trying to get that balanced out but it just wouldn't stick, probably because I was physically unable to - I feel a ton of pressure on that hip if I walk "straight".

We originally thought it was because I have sciatica issues down that leg but I'm convinced it was from the hip.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Thanks for starting us off, Oski!  Eventually I'll type up my entire timeline leading me to surgery and post it here, since I've been meaning to do that anyway.

Today is officially 3 weeks post-op for me.  I feel like I've gotten less cautious recently and moving my leg around in bed has become easier and less painful.  I even turned over and spent some time laying on my operated side for a while without any issues.  I still am keeping a pillow between my knees though.

At PT today I got to practice walking without the crutches.  They told me that around the house I could walk or use one crutch now.  I can finally bring my own coffee cup or beer into the living room again!  Hallelujah!  However, if I am going out (to the store, for a walk, etc), I still need to take both of my crutches.

Here is a blog that I've found super helpful through my recovery process: http://hiparthroscopic.wordpress.com/

Running is dumb.

Hip Redux

Most the blogs I found were incredibly depressing!  Thank you for finding one where the news is good. :P

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I know!  I've been meaning to blog about this damn injury, but I keep putting it off.  I really should just do it.

Also, I must admit that while my "good" leg has been holding up just fine, I am completely terrified of having to go through this twice.

Running is dumb.

Prince of Fatness

I keep hearing about this clicking or catching but never really get that.  The doctor did say that where the tear is is a little atypical from others that he has seen so maybe that has something to with it.

I haven't been running much for months (the emergency appendectomy in November did not help with that, either), but honestly I do not have much pain while running.  My problem is that the more active I am, the more painful sitting becomes.  It also wakes me up at night sometimes.  I have been doing the yoga pigeon pose daily to try to keep lose.  From doing that I am noticing that my bad side is way tighter than my good side.

I have to admit that I am a little apprehensive getting this done.  I guess that it is mostly about being laid up for a while, and the unknowns on how recovery will go.  That said the decision to have this done was easy.  The only known is that if I do nothing this will only get worse.

Not at it at all. 

Hip Redux

I have to admit that I am a little apprehensive getting this done.  I guess that it is mostly about being laid up for a while, and the unknowns on how recovery will go.  That said the decision to have this done was easy.  The only known is that if I do nothing this will only get worse.

I hear ya.  It's tough but I don't want to just let it get worse.

I am already getting some minor pain in my other hip as well.  I am choosing to ignore it for now.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I never had the catching sensation either, but the clicking started after a while.  It wasn't painful.  Just that same sound as cracking your knuckles.  Mine too also got worse at rest the more time went on.  I started to feel it sitting toward the end.  And rolling over in bed a certain way was very painful.

Did the doctor tell you where the tear is, MrFinn?  Mine was from 12-2 o'clock.  I guess it's more common for them to be on top.

Running is dumb.

Prince of Fatness

Did the doctor tell you where the tear is, MrFinn?  Mine was from 12-2 o'clock.  I guess it's more common for them to be on top.

He may have but I do not remember.  At that point I did not care where it was, just that I had it.

Not at it at all. 

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

3 weeks and 2 days post-op.  Today was my first full day without crutches.  I walked around the house, drove myself home to get my mail, did some laundry at home, and now at the end of the day that big tendon that runs down the inside of my leg is a little sore.  I used The Stick on it and that felt good.  The joint itself feels fine, but tendonitis is supposedly a common side effect from this surgery, so I'm trying to be really aware of that.  I am also able to put on my own socks now (!!!!) by sitting low (think toilet) and taking the foot of my operated leg and placing it near the opposite leg's knee.  It's still a bit of a struggle, but I can do it.

Running is dumb.

Hip Redux

Hooray for no crutches!

I've seen a lot about the tendinopathy issues post-surgery.  What's it from?   Is it just a side effect from the traction?  Or just from the inactivity?

ultramarathon/triathlete

Good to hear about the progress Mandy!   Keep posting!

BTW, I also never have any clicking or catching.  But mine is a "subtle" "slight" tear or something, no idea where it is.  I have yet to actually see my doc (not until May).

I'm going to try the recumbent bike today.  No pain this week but I've been feeling it when I sleep on my side still.  I need to figure out some cardio before I become Mr. Stay Puft.

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                              Gatorade Endurance Team

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Oski, I'm not sure.  In my limited experience, it seems like it would come from your body trying to protect your newly repaired hip and overusing those other tendons.  The first day I took a shower (it was maybe 3-4 days post op), I was utterly exhausted afterward and my "good" leg was protesting from me relying on it so much.

Also, the easiest way I found to take a shower in a standard bathtub was this: Put a stool in the bathroom right next to the tub.  Sit on the stool and have someone help you swing your legs around into the tub.  Stand, shower, use the stool for support to turn around, etc.  When getting out, stay standing in the tub and put the stool outside of the tub.  Sit on the stool and have someone help you swing your legs out of the tub.  Now if you have a nice walk in shower, then you're luckier than me! 

Running is dumb.