Torn Hip Labrum - advice, recovery and experiences (Read 1147 times)

dallison

registered pw

Tha is great. I know our youngest is a bit depressed since he doesn't go on as many runs as we normally would. Mrs. Dallison is doing a great job with it though.

Most of the time i am using the crutches to go up and down the steps. Yesterday i didn't use them a couple times and i caught myself having a spring in my step and not being as slow as i should. I always bounce up the steps and right now that is a no-no.

My 4 week post op appt. is on Thursday. Hopefully i can get rid of these crutches as you all know they are a PITA, but necessary.

Well, my life just became a lot more active.  My dog came home yesterday, so I'll be doing a lot more walking than before.  She's 9 years old now, but she's still very high energy.  She's used to running 30mpw or so with me.  We're both going to have to adjust, but I am happy that she's home.

8 weeks post-op now.  I had my most active day post-surgery yesterday.  I biked 13 miles (with some smaller hills) and took Bella for a 2 mile walk.  The hip seemed to hold up okay, although I think my left hip flexor got a little cranky while walking, but it didn't linger.  I also absentmindedly jogged down the stairs!  I realized what I was doing about halfway down.  It didn't hurt, but I should probably be more cautious.

2017 goals:

sub 1:30 half 

Hip Redux

Sounds like you are doing well still, Dallison.   Are you doing PT or no?

I got the call from the hospital this morning and they went through the normal set of questions about allergies, etc.  Then they asked if I had TMJ and if I had normal range of motion in my neck.   I guess for the intubation, but it was a strange set of questions!

She started off the conversation with "I have you down as havine surgery on Friday on your....right.....leg?"    Ok, well, I guess that's close enough lol

dallison

registered pw

I have been going to pt twice a week. 3x a week was scripted, but i can do most of the stuff at home.

It's amazing how different each hospital does things. I didn't get a call with any of those questions.

Sounds like you are doing well still, Dallison.   Are you doing PT or no?

I got the call from the hospital this morning and they went through the normal set of questions about allergies, etc.  Then they asked if I had TMJ and if I had normal range of motion in my neck.   I guess for the intubation, but it was a strange set of questions!

She started off the conversation with "I have you down as havine surgery on Friday on your....right.....leg?"    Ok, well, I guess that's close enough lol

2017 goals:

Hip Redux

Yep - I even had to give my height\weight, medical history etc.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Yep - I even had to give my height\weight, medical history etc.

That sounds like what I did during my pre-op appointment.  The PA had to listen to my lungs and told me it was so nice to listen to someone who wasn't a smoker.

Also, don't let them operate on your "leg". 

Running is dumb.

Hip Redux

Right? Like really starting off with building confidence there!

The one thing that they have to check up on is my vasovagal syncope issue - they took down my cardiologist's info.   I don't think it will make a difference because the only time my body tries to make me pass out is when I run.    It was noted on my records when I set up the surgery appt, so you'd think they would have paid attention to that prior to the week of...

Prince of Fatness

Finally got back into PT today.  They worked me a little more than last time.  Got some time on the stationary bike, got to put a little more weight on my leg. Felt good to move around a little.  No pain with anything that they had me do.

Thursday it will be three weeks post surgery.  Next week I start twice a week with PT and that will continue for all of May.  Should start weaning off the crutches next week as well.  Things should start picking up soon.

Not at it at all. 

ultramarathon/triathlete

Finally saw my hip doc today.

They did an X-ray, CT scan and another MRI (no injection this time).  They'll call me Friday to discuss everything in more detail but from this visit the doc said my issues don't seem too bad, the impingement is not too bad, and the tear is pretty normal in size.  He actually said that if he, the assistant who was in the room with us, and I were all tested, we'd probably all have torn labrums and that nearly all people have at least a slight tear, not just active athletes.  I guess it's just something that wears down over time.

He also said it looks like my stress fracture is healed (but the MRI will confirm that, which is why they didn't need the one with dye).

So, fingers crossed for positive news before the weekend!

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                  Gatorade Endurance Team

Hip Redux

That's good news!

dallison

registered pw

bah, just got back from the dr for my one month follow up. One more week for the crutches and brace. I'll still be on light duty for 2 more months at work. that is not what i wanted to hear.

I might get the go-ahead to start running at the beginning of July.

2017 goals:

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

What was your doctor's reasoning behind keeping you on crutches for another week, dallison?

Dave, that's great news!  Keep us updated.

I am continuing to do well.  I walked 3.4 miles the other day with the dog and things felt fine.  I jogged down the stairs again without issue.  (Still not doing this on purpose...it's just a habit!)  My PT said I was getting stronger and was impressed with my progress.  He said that soon we can move onto light impact stuff like skipping, ladders, jumping, etc.  Yikes!  I am starting to feel like I didn't even have surgery.  I don't get as many little reminders anymore and sitting at work has become completely normal, aside from some very slight aching if I have my hip in a weird position for too long.  My external rotation (laying on back with the knee bent and rotating my foot outward) is the only thing that isn't 100% and apparently most people take a while for this.

Oski is going under tomorrow!  WOO HOO!

Running is dumb.

dallison

registered pw

You know, i didn't ask. He sometimes seems to be in  a hurry and i was trying to ask questions as fast as possible. He said somewhere between 4-5 weeks is when he has people get off of them. It's possible that the PT people may have told him what i have been doing. He really didn't ask what activities i have been doing. I really dislike the hurrying that goes on with some drs. I bet he's just trying to be real cautious so that's why he wants one more week of crutches.

You are doing great with recovery and it's great to see that you're being able to be active. When do you think that you'll start to put on your first miles?

What was your doctor's reasoning behind keeping you on crutches for another week, dallison?

Dave, that's great news!  Keep us updated.

I am continuing to do well.  I walked 3.4 miles the other day with the dog and things felt fine.  I jogged down the stairs again without issue.  (Still not doing this on purpose...it's just a habit!)  My PT said I was getting stronger and was impressed with my progress.  He said that soon we can move onto light impact stuff like skipping, ladders, jumping, etc.  Yikes!  I am starting to feel like I didn't even have surgery.  I don't get as many little reminders anymore and sitting at work has become completely normal, aside from some very slight aching if I have my hip in a weird position for too long.  My external rotation (laying on back with the knee bent and rotating my foot outward) is the only thing that isn't 100% and apparently most people take a while for this.

Oski is going under tomorrow!  WOO HOO!

2017 goals:

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I think it's interesting that your surgeon is dictating your crutches use and not your PT.  My PT was the one who ultimately told me to come off crutches.  I mean, they're the ones you're interacting with the most.  I would ask your PT what they think too.

My plan is wait until 4-5 months post-op to attempt a running schedule, which would be July-August.  I hope I can start bike commuting to work again in early June.

Running is dumb.

Hip Redux

Gotta be at the hospital at 6:15 tomorrow!  I'll update as soon as I can. Big grin

What I really liked about my ortho was that the PT is IN his office.  It's a tight coordination between the two aspects of it, and if there's any issues, they're on top of it.  Of course, it's 20 miles away and I've been seeing a PT 5 miles away... but still an easy drive all things considered.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

What I really liked about my ortho was that the PT is IN his office.  It's a tight coordination between the two aspects of it, and if there's any issues, they're on top of it.

Ditto.  I go to the same place to see sports med, my surgeon, and PT.  I am so sick of that damn building.  I can't wait to never have to go back.  Well, until the next injury happens. 

Oh!  I am bumped down to PT every other week now!  So that's a plus.

Running is dumb.