Torn Hip Labrum - advice, recovery and experiences (Read 1147 times)

Prince of Fatness

He said somewhere between 4-5 weeks is when he has people get off of them. It's possible that the PT people may have told him what i have been doing. He really didn't ask what activities i have been doing. I really dislike the hurrying that goes on with some drs. I bet he's just trying to be real cautious so that's why he wants one more week of crutches.

I cannot blame them for being cautious.  When I met with my surgeon prior to surgery he said crutches for 2 weeks.  It was 3 yesterday and PT told me this week to stay on them (although I am putting a bit more weight on the leg while walking with the crutches).  Just reading the experiences here I was skeptical about the 2 weeks anyway.  PT told me that next week I start weaning off of the crutches so I am thinking that it will be close to 5 weeks before I am completely off of them.

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

Gotta be at the hospital at 6:15 tomorrow!  I'll update as soon as I can. Big grin

Early is good.  Good luck!

Not at it at all. 

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I cannot blame them for being cautious.  When I met with my surgeon prior to surgery he said crutches for 2 weeks.  It was 3 yesterday and PT told me this week to stay on them (although I am putting a bit more weight on the leg while walking with the crutches).  Just reading the experiences here I was skeptical about the 2 weeks anyway.  PT told me that next week I start weaning off of the crutches so I am thinking that it will be close to 5 weeks before I am completely off of them.

Yeah, 2 weeks just seems way too early.  I suppose if we don't count me walking around in the house after 3 weeks, it was a good 4 weeks for me.  I'll chalk it up to being young.

The word on Facebook is that Oski is out of surgery -- labral repair, cam/pincer shaved down, psoas release, but no microfracture.  Yahoo!

Running is dumb.

Hip Redux

I'm home!   They had a hard time getting my pain under control after surgery, so I am currently hopped up on fentanyl and oxycodone.  I'm still in quite a bit of pain, but tolerable so long as I don't move.  I see myself being a firm fixture on my couch for the next few hours.

Docket_Rocket

I'm home!   They had a hard time getting my pain under control after surgery, so I am currently hopped up on fentanyl and oxycodone.  I'm still in quite a bit of pain, but tolerable so long as I don't move.  I see myself being a firm fixture on my couch for the next few hours.

Glad to read you are home!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Prince of Fatness

My surgeon said he started doing spinal blocks (I had one) before the surgery because many patients had a hard time with pain right after surgery.  I think that it helped.  My experience was that the first 24 hours was the worst.  In two days over the counter meds did the trick.  Hopefully that will be your experience as well.  Glad to hear you got home.  The rehab journey begins.

Not at it at all. 

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Be liberal with your drugs, but be liberal with a stool softener if you are liberal with your drugs!

I guess I was lucky with pain.  I woke up in recovery and rated it a 4, and it got better as I laid there all loopy.  Enjoy the loopiness!  Haha.

Running is dumb.

Prince of Fatness

I guess I was lucky with pain.  I woke up in recovery and rated it a 4, and it got better as I laid there all loopy.  Enjoy the loopiness!  Haha.

Yeah I didn't think it was that bad either.  They tried to put the fear of death in me when they called the night saying that it was a painful surgery, blah, blah, blah, so I was sort of surprised when it really wasn't that bad.

Not at it at all. 

Hip Redux

I think most of the pain is from the psoas.   My leg is almost completely numb to the touch (does that mean nerve block?) but my groin is really awful.  :/

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

They didn't tell you if they did a nerve block?  I didn't have one, but they told me they could give me one if I woke up with too much pain.

I don't think my leg was numb, but most of it was wrapped up in bandages/my ice machine pad.  Did you get an ice machine??

Running is dumb.

Prince of Fatness

I think most of the pain is from the psoas.   My leg is almost completely numb to the touch (does that mean nerve block?) but my groin is really awful.  :/

They went into my spine with the nerve block, that is the last thing that I remember (the needle) before going under.  I did not have to have anything done to my psoas.  Could be from that maybe?

MTA: Also my whole lower body was numb below where I got the shot.

Not at it at all. 

Hip Redux

They didn't tell you if they did a nerve block?  I didn't have one, but they told me they could give me one if I woke up with too much pain.

I don't think my leg was numb, but most of it was wrapped up in bandages/my ice machine pad.  Did you get an ice machine??

No, they didn't - and I am pretty sure they didn't go in through the spine - so I don't think I had one.

No ice machine but I have a really big ice pack.  A little nervous with it though since I can't feel my leg at all!

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Are you all full of bandages or just kind free flying?  I was so padded up that I couldn't tell you how it felt under there.  I would set a timer for your ice if you're worried about it!

Running is dumb.

Hip Redux

The portals are definitely padded up!  There's no way I could have gotten into anything but this skirt I bought yesterday.  (yes  I went on another shopping spree lol)  But I'm numb all the way down to my shin.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I consulted Dr. Google for you.  It sounds like maybe you a femoral nerve block, opposed to the spinal that Finn had.

http://www.teamanesthesia.com/discharge-instructions-for-femoral-nerve-block.html

Running is dumb.