Torn Hip Labrum - advice, recovery and experiences (Read 1147 times)

dallison

registered pw

When yo finally got off of your crutches, did your groin/hip area ache aa little? Mine does, but there's no real pain, just a dull ache. I am just guessing that is from finally moving around.

I walked 5.5 miles today!  Woof.  And that was an easy day for my dog.  2.5 miles this morning and then about 3 miles this afternoon.  Then I went to the grocery store.  I'm tired now.    I also took a spill on the trail this afternoon.  I was walking on some wide, grassy, doubletrack...you know, super easy trails that I've run about a million miles on...and there was a hole from some small animal that my ankle got caught in and down I went.  Thankfully everything seemed to be okay aside from my muddy knees.

But I'm pretty amazed that my joint continues to feel great.  I might have had a few mild twinges during my second walk, but I'm pretty sure that was hip flexor related. Hang in there, crutches people.  It's going to get better soon!

2017 goals:

sub 1:30 half 

Hip Redux

Sort of bummed this morning.  I was hoping that I would be able to get off pain meds relatively quickly, but there's no way I can go without at this point.  I'm in a lot more pain than I was prior to surgery, as well, and while I know they did a lot of stuff during surgery, it's hard to think I was "better" three days ago.

Did any of you have trouble standing straight up?  It feels like my hip flexor on the op hip is completely frozen - I can't quite stand up fully, or straighten that leg fully.

Hip Redux

And I took off my big wrap today because it was starting to fall off - and I have four portal holes.    Three on the front of my thigh, and one on my backside!

dallison

registered pw

I had two or three. I have two scars like Mandy and they were searching for the third when i went in. I could never tell where it was and i don't think they could either.

I think i was leaning over a bit after surgery. I think i was able to have me leg straight, i don't remember not being able to do it.

And I took off my big wrap today because it was starting to fall off - and I have four portal holes.    Three on the front of my thigh, and one on my backside!

2017 goals:

Hip Redux

Here's a picture of my three portals at the front (it's a little gross):  http://i60.tinypic.com/ajozsy.jpg  No one will be getting a photo of the portal on my ass. lol

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Dallison I don't think I had any pain getting off crutches.  I was sllooooowwwwwww while walking and the first few days felt weird, but not painful.  Can you tell what's achy?  The joint or soft tissue?

Oski, can you please describe where on your ass?   My third hole is near my ass, but I would describe it as on the outside of my leg more than anything.  Of course, I'm not going to be dropping my pants either to show people.  I wonder if because your tear was so big that they had to make an extra hole.  How many anchors did you get?

I would be willing to bet that your straightening problem is psoas related.  I bet you're going to have a slightly different recovery than the rest of us.  It sucks that you're still in pain though.

Running is dumb.

Hip Redux

Three anchors.

Hard to describe where it is - I hit it when I sit on the toilet.    So like at the top of the hamstring, bottom of the butt, maybe 2" to the outside the sit bones?

My follow up appointment is in a week.  He usually does a check-in two weeks in, but because he had to do so much, he wanted to see me earlier.  So I guess I just need to readjust my expectations a bit.  Got a little excited hearing about y'alls experiences. Smile

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Okay, that makes sense.  Mine definitely does not hit the toilet when I sit. I'll be curious to hear what your surgeon says.  And at least you didn't have 7 anchors!!!  (Someone in one of the FB groups did.  Holy yikes.)

It's too early to make any predictions about your recovery!  It's only day 2!  The first few days were pretty similar, but then I remember I started making daily gains at some point and that was pretty cool.

Running is dumb.

Hip Redux

7 anchors, holy crap!

Yeah, I need to be patient.  I hope PT gives me some sense of if my pain is normal or not.

dallison

registered pw

It's not painful, but i think it's more the muscle than anything. It's not quite a warmth, but it's more like the muscles finally are getting used and are getting inflammed but without the inflammation if you know what i mean.

I don't have pain going up or down stairs and all seems normal. I walked our 3 legged one for the 1st time in a month and even as slow as she is and with some pulling, i had to slow her down.

Dallison I don't think I had any pain getting off crutches.  I was sllooooowwwwwww while walking and the first few days felt weird, but not painful.  Can you tell what's achy?  The joint or soft tissue?

2017 goals:

Hip Redux

Do you have a three-legged dog?  We do too, if so!   He's terrible on leash though so my husband is on walking duty.  :P

dallison

registered pw

2017 goals:

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Oh my, that is a cute dog!  This thread is filled with awesomeness now.

Running is dumb.

Hip Redux

Awwwww!  I had a front amp dog first - he passed away a few years ago.  And now we have a back leg amp pup.  He's still pretty speedy!

dallison

registered pw

people really underestimate what they can do. She was able to swim, dig with that front paw and run faster than some dogs. She'll be 11 in October, so she has slowed down some. We have always kept her weight around 47-50 lbs. She has had three legs since about 10 weeks old.

How does your rear leg amp pup get along?

We find that glucosamine and quality food makes a big difference.

Awwwww!  I had a front amp dog first - he passed away a few years ago.  And now we have a back leg amp pup.  He's still pretty speedy!

2017 goals: