Torn Hip Labrum - advice, recovery and experiences (Read 1147 times)

Hip Redux

Ughhhhhhh.   The soft tissue stuff really worries me out because it seems like it always delays things for months.

Right now my hip flexor is so tight, I can't stand up straight with that leg.  That alone is making me freak.  I am spending time on my stomach as much as I can tolerate to help stretch it a bit.

Prince of Fatness

Oski, I am also still scared of having soft tissue issues.  I don't know at what point we'll be considered out of the woods for that.  I had a friend from RWOL back in the day have this surgery.  I was able to contact her recently and she said that she was healing great in the beginning and even started back to running for a few months.  Then she developed hip flexor tendonitis and she couldn't get rid of it for over SIX MONTHS!  Ugh.

I wonder if the soft tissue stuff is residual from prior to surgery.  I pretty much consider soft tissue issues to be a part of life anymore.

I don't plan on ever running as much as I used to.  I will run most days but just not for as much time.  Maybe go out for an hour and a half on weekends.  I want to make sure I allow enough time to keep up with the core work.  I am hoping that this strategy will help mitigate any soft tissue problems.

Not at it at all. 

Hip Redux

I'm not sure they know exactly why some people have the soft tissue issues and others don't.  Could be from compensation pre-surgery, I suppose.

I want my other hip evaluated first before deciding anything in terms of running again.   If there are signs of cartilage damage, I'm guessing my comeback might be delayed significantly!

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I have my fingers crossed that I don't run into any issues, because I don't think I had any bad compensation issues pre-surgery.  If I wind up having even a small problem, I'm heading right back to my guy that does ART/Graston.  Nip it in the bud before it even starts.

I am completely undecided about what my future running will look it.  I know I won't be running much this year.  Next year I would just like to build up a base and see what happens.  This whole thing has certainly changed my perspective on running though.

And I don't want to think about my other hip right now.  LALALALALALA.  Maybe it'll never go bad. 

Running is dumb.

Hip Redux

Yeah, when I heard that my cartilage had started to delaminate from the bone - I started to seriously reconsider my running future.    I really don't want to need a hip replacement at a young age.   Or to be in constant pain and be limited in the other things I can do.  I know, it's too early to really say.  But add the fact that I get pain and snapping in my other hip?  Meh.  The whole thing sucks.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

My other hip is very cracky and my surgeon said my bone structure was the same on my non-op side.  Sometimes I wonder if I'm just imagining phantom pains because I'm so freaked out by the whole thing.  I don't think I'll know until I start running again.  Either way, I see more biking in my future.  I don't want to get my hip replaced either.  It is very depressing.

Running is dumb.

Prince of Fatness

I don't know how old you guys are but part of the reason that I am not going to pursue running a ton is my age.  Now before anyone jumps in and says that I am not that old and people my age can sustain high mileage I agree with that.  It is just a personal decision that I have made.  Several years back I had some decent training periods and brought my race times down lower than I ever thought that I would.  And this was in my mid to late 40s.  It has been about 4 years since I started having hip problems.  During that period I have gained about 20 pounds and lost a ton of fitness, so right now my goal is to drop the weight and get fit.  Period.  If that means that I am never serious about racing again so be it.  That stuff is gravy.  I really just want to be healthy again then I will see what happens.

If I were a few years younger I would probably be thinking differently.  I do not consider this injury or surgery as being the end of running a bunch if you want (although I do think that patience is required).  This is just were I am right now.

YMMV

Not at it at all. 

L Train

Sigh.

Prince of Fatness

Sigh.

Dude, let it go.  It will be OK.

Not at it at all. 

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I am 31.  I have a lot of shit in life I want to do yet.

Running is dumb.

Prince of Fatness

I have a lot of shit in life I want to do yet.

This is the main reason that my goal is just to get healthy.

Not at it at all. 

Hip Redux

37, and ditto what Mandy said!

Prince of Fatness

Damn, you people are youngsters.  I have a granddaughter.

Not at it at all. 

Hip Redux

Good PT today!  almost no pain and she added in a few more stretches and exercises.  psoas seems to have calmed down a bit, might try to skip my Vicodin tonight.

Annoyed though - the office didn't have my muscle relaxer script ready.  good thing I am feeling better!

loras

Hi Everybody,

I have been a lurker here for about a month and I thought it was about time I came forward and introduced myself and let you all know how helpful your stories have been.

I just had surgery last Friday. Same morning as you Oski!

I am not a big runner but I have worked out a lot for a very long time. I am 46. I started having hip pain last year and my MRI and MRa showed a labral tear. I decided to have the surgery because I still have a lot of things I want to do in life and I don't want to be hindered with an injury. I love to downhill ski and the thought of doing it with an injured hip scared me to death.

In actuality, during surgery it was discovered that my right labrum was shredded so my surgeon debrided it because he was unable to repair any of it. I also had my psoas released.  Oski, I have not had any of the pain that you are experiencing with yours. But my PT exercises are a bit different than yours and that could be one of the reasons why.

So far I am very happy with the results. Because he was not able to actually repair anything (only debride) I was able to walk without crutches completely by Monday, 3 days after surgery. I am not breaking any speed records, but it gets better everyday. Also, my hip no longer "catches" when I stand up and start walking and even today in PT my range of motion is more than it was before surgery.

There is a small bit of arthritis in that hip now, but I do hope that this has helped slow some of that down giving me many more years of an active life.

So, again, thank you all for your stories and positiveness during this whole process! I wish all of you a full and speedy recovery!

Lora