Torn Hip Labrum - advice, recovery and experiences (Read 1147 times)

Hip Redux

Welcome Lora!

So I'm curious - what sort of stuff does your PT have you doing?   I've had a long history of psoas problems, so I wonder if that could also be it too, as I was in a lot of pain after surgery even before PT started.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Hi Lora!  Feel free to jump in anytime.  Now Oski can have a psoas buddy.  Do you know how much of your labrum they removed?

Running is dumb.

loras

Hi Oski,

My psoas was super tight also since October last year, it feels better now during recovery than it did before surgery.

I have only been to 2 PT sessions, but here's what I am doing:

stationery bike 10 mins, standing knee flexion, knee extension sitting, heel slides (laying down and sliding heel toward butt), slight flexion while leg is extended on couch to flex quad.

He also massaged the muscle and slowly and very gently did range of motion stretching today which felt awesome cuz my leg hasn't moved that far since last year. I did some inner and outer thigh strengthening exercises today also ( which is always appreciated!Smile

But, when I saw the straight leg hamstring stretch you were doing I shuddered in pain myself without even doing it!  I can only lift my leg maybe 6 inches unassisted today-it was less of course earlier this week. I can totally see how that would send your leg into spasm.

Hi MadisonMandy,

I am not exactly sure how much labrum was removed yet. I haven't actually seen my surgeon yet. He did a voice recording for me to listen to after surgery (along with pictures) and he just said that quite a bit was damaged and unrepairable. I go back for an office visit on Friday so I hope to find out more details then.

Hip Redux

Interesting.  Yep, I am doing some of the same (heel slides, inner/outer thigh strength) but some different - the hamstring stretch I don't do unassisted anymore because it's just SO impossible lol  So now my husband lifts my leg for me, and that works well.   I also can't do heel slides unassisted either!  So I use a strap to move my foot.    Otherwise that also sends my psoas into a massive spasm.

loras

Yep, I would agree that the heel slide is the most difficult also.  Any kind of friction on my heel makes it super hard. The first day I felt a big pop when I was doing it and that really freaked me out also. That seems to have stopped for now though.  I am thinking slow and steady on this psoas thing....

Hip Redux

Oh yeah, definitely.  PT said it would be months before that's even close to 100%!   Ergh.

dallison

registered pw

2017 goals:

sub 1:30 half 

Hip Redux

Made it 24 hours without taking vicodin.  yeah!

loras

Made it 24 hours without taking vicodin.  yeah!

Awesome! It's nice to have a clear head isn't it?

Hip Redux

Awesome! It's nice to have a clear head isn't it?

I think the worst was the blurry close up vision - now I can read my Kindle!

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Yay!  That's great news, Oski.

I might attempt to go hiking after work with the dog.  I mean it's just walking, right?  Just a little hilly with some roots.  I miss my trails.

Running is dumb.

Hip Redux

Did they say no trails specifically?  If not, then go for it!

I have a cold.  Boo.   I think a few of you got sick after surgery, too?  Stupid immune system!

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Did they say no trails specifically?  If not, then go for it!

I have a cold.  Boo.   I think a few of you got sick after surgery, too?  Stupid immune system!

No, but I never asked either...

Yes, I got sick both pre-op and post-op.  Ugh. I haven't been sick so often in a long, long time.  I blame airplanes and surgery.

Running is dumb.

dallison

registered pw

I got a bad cold post surgery too. It took me 3-4 weeks to really get over it.

2017 goals:

sub 1:30 half 

Hip Redux

Ugh.  I can't even remember the last time I got sick, I am so not happy about this lol