Torn Hip Labrum - advice, recovery and experiences (Read 1147 times)

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Good to hear about the progress Mandy!   Keep posting!

I'm going to try the recumbent bike today.  No pain this week but I've been feeling it when I sleep on my side still.  I need to figure out some cardio before I become Mr. Stay Puft.

Thanks, Dave!  Do you have a regular bike that doesn't hurt?  Everyone in the facebook group seems to say that recumbent bikes are bad for impingements.

Running is dumb.

Hip Redux

I have a walk in shower... on the first floor, even!!

I am worried about my "good" leg because it also has my "bad" knee.  So much to fret about, so little time to google it all.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Today I walked outside...for approximately 1/10 of a mile.  First I went on a crutch-walk for 1.5 miles, then I decided to test the waters of real walking outside.  It was slightly scary and my leg felt clunky and heavy, but I walked about 4 houses down the street and then back.  (Normal suburbia type neighborhood.)  It didn't hurt, but I'm not pushing anything at the moment.

I continue to make what feels like small daily gains.  Every day feels a little better with a little more ROM.  I'll be 4 weeks post-op on Monday and start back to work Tuesday part-time.  I'll work 4 hours every day in the office for the next two weeks and then transition back to my normal hours.  A part of me is going to miss being this lazy.

Running is dumb.

Hip Redux

Will they let you ditch the crutches completely soon?   My surgeon's protocol is 6 weeks of crutches whether you need it or not to assist walking, because he says it slows people down and keeps them from doing too much too soon... even though he will allow full weight bearing as soon as you can handle it.

Did you buy any of the post-op surgery aids that everyone is always talking about?  A grabber?  Toilet seat?  Chair for the shower?   Not sure what to do and I don't really want to spend the money if I won't really need those things.

Prince of Fatness

Will they let you ditch the crutches completely soon?   My surgeon's protocol is 6 weeks of crutches whether you need it or not to assist walking, because he says it slows people down and keeps them from doing too much too soon... even though he will allow full weight bearing as soon as you can handle it.

Interesting.  My surgeon indicated 2 - 3 weeks on crutches.  I do not see more than that being an issue, other than with work.  I am a desk jockey so working should not be an issue as I will be sitting mostly.  It is getting to work that I am concerned with, although he indicated that I could drive in a couple of weeks post surgery.  I will need to get some clarification on this.

Not at it at all. 

Hip Redux

Yeah, it's a little confusing because every surgeon does it a little differently, it seems!  I start PT Monday after my Friday surgery and others start PT in two-three weeks, some use braces, some require 0 weight bearing, etc.    It's all over the place.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Yeah, it's really frustrating that because this surgery is so new, that everyone seems to be doing something differently.  The facebook group is nuts.

Oski, did your surgeon say that *all* of his patients are on crutches for six weeks?  He might have told you longer since you're probably having more work done in there.  There is no way I would need to be on crutches for that long.  I feel great walking around the house and can even do the stairs.  My surgeon's protocol paperwork said 2-3 weeks for labral repair and 3-6 weeks for a psoas release and/or microfracture.

I see PT tomorrow, so I'm sure I will get another update on my crutches.  Walking outside/distances is still weird.  My leg feels clunky if that makes sense.  I went an extra house down the street yesterday...LOL.  I'll take no pain as a good sign though.

I didn't buy anything that the people on facebook are so adamant about.  No extra crutch padding (although I do wear bike gloves when I go for my crutch walks), I didn't feel the need for a raised toilet (was only mildly difficult for a few days), and you can still bend down and pick things up, you just need to keep your operated leg totally extended and straight when you bend.  Kinda like this:

I did use a stool for the shower.  That was helpful for the first week.  Make sure your legs are shaved and toenails clipped and all that little stuff.  I did manage to shave my legs around 2.5 weeks post-op by taping a razor to the end of a ruler.  I am sure my PT appreciated that!  Another thing I found helpful was having bigger than normal pajama pants for the first week.  I had a bunch of bandages on me with the ice machine pad and I got a super cheap pair from Old Navy for $7 that was a little big. I really didn't swell much at all though.  Don't ignore the warnings about needing a stool softener.  I was only on the narcotics for a few days and I still had issues.  I think it's more from the lack of movement than anything.

I have spent most of my time over the past month in a recliner.  It's much more comfortable than a couch.

Running is dumb.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Interesting.  My surgeon indicated 2 - 3 weeks on crutches.  I do not see more than that being an issue, other than with work.  I am a desk jockey so working should not be an issue as I will be sitting mostly.  It is getting to work that I am concerned with, although he indicated that I could drive in a couple of weeks post surgery.  I will need to get some clarification on this.

Is it your right or left?  I was able to drive an automatic  with no issues because it was my left side.  I think the right side takes a few weeks.

I go back to work part time tomorrow.  Boo!  I am debating whether or not I should use my crutches...it's not a lot of walking, but it might render more sympathy from my boss.

Running is dumb.

Prince of Fatness

It is my right hip.  I do have the ability to work from home, the main issue is on site coverage as we are a small shop.  I'll figure it out.

Not at it at all. 

ultramarathon/triathlete

Thanks, Dave!  Do you have a regular bike that doesn't hurt?  Everyone in the facebook group seems to say that recumbent bikes are bad for impingements.

Didn't know that.  My gym has a recumbent bike and a "regular" bike.  I ended up feeling fine after 50 minutes at a moderate pace on the bike.  Maybe I'll try the regular bike and see how that goes.

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                      Gatorade Endurance Team

Hip Redux

The minimum is 4 weeks on crutches, per his paperwork.  I'm sure some get off faster, but he was really strongly in favor of keeping people from trying to do too much before the ~6 week mark.     The two folks I talked to were both "just" FAI and labrum repair and they were both on crutches for 6 weeks.

I've been rowing for exercise and it hasn't bothered my hip at all, and I would imagine that's a similar 'recumbent'  bike leg motion.   However, I did some glute exercises yesterday and my hip is friggin killing me today.   Go figure.

ultramarathon/triathlete

The recumbent bike (while boring as hell) did not end up hurting my hip.  I tried the upright bike this morning for 35 minutes.  So far so good.

I'll try the rower, but I imagine it'll be as boring as the bike.  I really need a good way to burn a high amount of calories.  I rode that recumbent the other day for almost an hour and burned what I'd burn on an easy run of 15 minutes.  Ug.

I refuse to stop eating ice cream.   This might not be good.

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                          Gatorade Endurance Team

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

The minimum is 4 weeks on crutches, per his paperwork.  I'm sure some get off faster, but he was really strongly in favor of keeping people from trying to do too much before the ~6 week mark.     The two folks I talked to were both "just" FAI and labrum repair and they were both on crutches for 6 weeks.

That makes sense because it takes approx. 6 weeks for bone to heal.  So I can understand that.  I am trying to be very aware that being off crutches does not mean that I can just walk all over the place.  I am at work right now and used my crutches to come in, because, well, why not, right?

Surprisingly, I have actually lost weight over the past 4 weeks.  I am not sure how much of it is muscular (sigh...bye bye nice legs) and how much of it is from reduced calories/crutching around.  I noticed my pants felt a little looser and stepped on the scale and I was shocked to see I was down 3-4 pounds.

Running is dumb.

Prince of Fatness

That makes sense because it takes approx. 6 weeks for bone to heal.  So I can understand that.  I am trying to be very aware that being off crutches does not mean that I can just walk all over the place.  I am at work right now and used my crutches to come in, because, well, why not, right?

Yeah I wonder if some doctors keep patients on crutches longer simply to serve as a mental note to not overdo it.  That is a good idea you have using them even when you don't have to initially.  I may do that myself, especially at times when I am walking a little further in stretches.

Surprisingly, I have actually lost weight over the past 4 weeks.  I am not sure how much of it is muscular (sigh...bye bye nice legs) and how much of it is from reduced calories/crutching around.  I noticed my pants felt a little looser and stepped on the scale and I was shocked to see I was down 3-4 pounds.

Don't know your habits but could this be that you aren't snacking as much between meals?  With me I can see being hobbled cutting out those frequent trips to the snack cabinet.

Not at it at all. 

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Don't know your habits but could this be that you aren't snacking as much between meals?  With me I can see being hobbled cutting out those frequent trips to the snack cabinet.

It's probably a combination of a lot of things.  A) Less snacks  B) Less beer C) Crutches require a lot of energy D) My dad is retired and making all of the meals, which are generally healthier than I would make for myself as a single person at home.  E) Along with D, I am not doing any grocery shopping or anything and there are a lot of fresh fruits and vegetables at my parent's house.  And I have been consciously trying to pay attention to reducing the volume of my eating, since I am essentially sedentary now.

I have still been eating a decent amount of chocolate though. 

Running is dumb.