Torn Hip Labrum - advice, recovery and experiences (Read 1147 times)

Hip Redux

That's really interesting and seems like good news, since my doctor seems to prescribe to the same philosophy as yours.  Have you done your no-resistance bike riding yet?

Yep!  I can ride no resistance for ten minutes every other day.  

I had my first pool PT session today.  OMG, I got home and took a nap!  It wiped me out.  40 minutes of walking forwards and backwards, side walking, step ups, side leg raises and squats.   It was the longest I'd been off my crutches.  Two more sessions of that this week.

Prince of Fatness

I will probably use at least one crutch for long walks for a few days, but around the house it is so nice not using them.  Next week they said that I get to work a little more at PT.  Elliptical and so other stuff.

I seem to be walking fine without the crutches so I have not been using them.  Fatigue is an issue, not pain.  If I get tired I take a break.  I had some soreness in my lower leg that I assume is just from using it for the first time in weeks.  My foot actually cramped up a couple of times.  I have been cutting my grass for a while as I have a riding mower but this past weekend was the first that I was able to do the trimming.

More PT yesterday.  Warmed up with 6 minutes on the elliptical, no resistance.  They had me doing a lot of balancing stuff, both legs.  The guy mentioned that I seem to be walking normally for the most part.  One thing that I noticed is that I felt less stiff and sore after PT than I did before.  I guess that means it's working.  I mentioned that most of the stiffness is in the area of my hip flexor.  He said to monitor it and back off if it starts getting worse.

I got the OK to start going on regular daily walks, starting with only 10 minutes and adding time gradually.  I am going to start going after dinner each day.

Not at it at all. 

Ostrich runner

She's in good hands.   Does she have a surgery date yet?

We do now - 5/29. It's a strange thing being so apprehensive about the short-term, but so excited about the long term. He seemed to think that the arthrogram might be a bit misleading because of the prior surgery, so it might not be as bad as it seemed. Nonetheless, he also seemed to think he could help. The good news though is that the bone looks good and there didn't look to be much degeneration.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

Hip Redux

Wow, right around the corner, beef!  Good deal.

My back is not liking all this lounging around.  Back on the Vicodin but for the sciatica not the hip!

Ostrich runner

The date we are especially thrilled about - it's the same date as the surgery we cancelled, so all of the support we'd lined up is still available. Our living situation is really complicated at the moment, so it was a big deal. 

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

Prince of Fatness

The date we are especially thrilled about - it's the same date as the surgery we cancelled, so all of the support we'd lined up is still available. Our living situation is really complicated at the moment, so it was a big deal. 

Good luck!

Not at it at all. 

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

My back is not liking all this lounging around.  Back on the Vicodin but for the sciatica not the hip!

My back didn't like it either and I don't have back issues like you.  Mine started to go away once I was more active and could sleep on my side.  Are you still sleeping on your back?

Yay Finn!  My first week of real walking was exhausting too.

Running is dumb.

Hip Redux

I am sleeping on my non-op side, but I prefer to sleep on my other side, so it's still a bit awkward/restless sleep, which I'm sure isn't helping.   Thankfully, the meds I have on hand are keeping everything in check but I'd like to be off the hard stuff.

BTW - how long did you guys have to take the NSAID post surgery?  They gave me a month's worth of the naproxen, but no time table for stopping... I really hope I don't need to be on this for four weeks.  My poor tummy. lol

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I had to take the NSAIDs for two weeks.  I can't imagine needing to take them for a month!

So I keep reading about how important it is for your glutes to fire during recovery.  How do I know if my glutes are/aren't firing?  My butt feels normal...should I take that as a good sign?

Running is dumb.

Prince of Fatness

Google heterotopic ossification and it may explain why some surgeons prescribe NSAIDS for a period of time after surgery.  My surgeon did not, but I took Aleve for a couple of weeks as a precaution.

Not at it at all. 

Hip Redux

Ahhhhh, I'm supposed to take them for a month!  Finn - that's what I saw too, that NSAIDs help with limiting bone regrowth, etc.

Mandy - most of my glute/hip activation stuff was done in PT (I fail usually lol) but if you google glute tests, you come up with things like this that may be helpful:  http://bretcontreras.com/a-simple-test-for-glute-activity/

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I had an interesting PT appt today.  We've now ditched everything double leg and are only doing single leg strengthening exercises.  I also got to do "light" impact stuff, which was various things with the agility ladder.  She also had me doing a split-squat exercise that we did in PT pre-surgery that hurt when I did it...no pain this time!

I go and see Dr. Keene for my 12 week check up late next week and my PT told me not to listen to him.  LOL.  She said that he would most likely tell me I was fine to go run 4-5 miles and that I definitely should not do that.  She that from his perspective, the joint will be healed and able to handle that, but the surrounding muscles would not.  However, she did quickly dismiss my running in July/August idea and told me that I would most likely be able to begin a run/walk program in 4 weeks since I was progressing so well.  I'm not sure how I feel about that, but I guess that's good news!

I will say that I am increasingly feeling very normal lately.  I am jogging up/down the stairs without no issues and haven't had any weird hurting movements in a while.  I hiked 4.6 miles last night with lots of hills.  While I am out of shape, nothing else seemed to bother me much besides my right calf, which I just need to roll out a bit.

Running is dumb.

Hip Redux

Normal is good!

And LOL at the doctor telling you go to out and run 5 miles.  Yeahhhh don't listen to him!

dallison

registered pw

Mandy, that is great news, except for the recommendation for running that far. I am only going to try for one mile, if that my first time out.

At my PT on Monday, they measured my flexibility compared to when i went in. Everything is pretty close to normal. Everything is within a couple degrees of where it should be.

2017 goals:

sub 1:30 half 

Hip Redux

If y'all hear screaming that'd just be me frustrated about the aching pain in my OTHER hip.