Torn Hip Labrum - advice, recovery and experiences (Read 1147 times)

Hip Redux

OMG, I hope that kid apologized!!

So I'm in week 5 and thus begins the real PT work.  Today was b r u t a l.  My legs were a quivering mess when I left!  But NO hip pain at all.   We did ball squats, mini quad extensions, walking with resistance (forward, backward, lateral), bird dips, balance on a trampoline, and then some planks.

Mandy - I am cleared to walk now too.  How much did you start with?  How fast did you ramp up?   I have to find a flat road somewhere... all the ones around my house go up pretty steep climbs (you know you live in a hilly area when all the roads have "Hill" in the name!)

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I turned into a crazy lady on that kid.  He apologized and offered to help me clean up my bike, but I just yelled at him to watch out for bikers on the BIKE PATH and to stop swerving around.  I am sure he'll have a good story at school today about the psycho woman who yelled at him, but he seriously was oblivious and ran right into me.

Woo hoo walking!  That's great news!  All my walking is in my log.  Disregard the crutch walks, of course, so basically go directly to April.  I think I started with down the street and back.  Then 1/2 of a mile, which felt VERY far at the time.  My experience with walking was that if it felt hard in the beginning of the week, toward the end it would be better.  And yes, find some flats if you can!

Running is dumb.

Hip Redux

I was seriously considering bringing my Garmin but it will probably take me longer to find a satellite than it will for me to get to the corner and back lol

dallison

registered pw

The water treadmill has been approved!

I'm glad to see everyone is doing well.

2017 goals:

sub 1:30 half 

Hip Redux

You'll have to report back and tell us how it went, dallison!

Mandy - looks like you stayed at about a half mile every other day for a week and then ramped up to a mile.   Seems reasonable.   I'll have to see how sore I am after today's PT and tonight's short walk before figuring out where to start.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Mandy - looks like you stayed at about a half mile every other day for a week and then ramped up to a mile.   Seems reasonable.   I'll have to see how sore I am after today's PT and tonight's short walk before figuring out where to start.

I am trying to remember when things got easier.  Those first few weeks were hard.  1/2 mile seemed very far.  Then a mile seemed very far.  I think things got a lot easier at 8-9 weeks.

How did your walk feel last night?

I am going to attempt my first bike commute to work on Friday.  Woo hoo!  33 mile round trip.

Running is dumb.

Hip Redux

I did about a quarter mile.  Felt fine!   My ass is really sore today though from PT lol

loras

I got sprung from PT yesterday! Had my dr. appt and am now cleared to go back to cardio classes and pole dancing (for fun-not money!)

Still no running-not even trotting. But I will take all that I can get!  Did kickboxing today and it felt great. A little tweaky here and there, but overall good. So glad to be back at it.

Sounds like you all are coming along nicely as well.

L

Jeffrey

Hello.

Just got my FAI diagnosis this week. Recreational runner off and on throughout life. I increased training mileage for goal marathons nine years ago, I am now 48. Probably the typical running induced FAI story. For the past 4 years, once a year, it would be painful to put my foot through pants/ shorts. Didn't think much of it. Subtle hip/ groin twinges in February lead to several pains that wouldn't go away two months later. Hoped it was training adaptations but it blossomed into full on classic FAI pain around 2 weeks ago. MRI confirmed FAI in left hip.

Right now I am dealing with the abrupt change from 60mpw to 0mpw. You know what that is like. I am in no rush to run again. My goal is to exercise low impact (walk, swim, bike) without pain. If I can get some relief through a procedure I will be a happy man again.

I just received my referral to a surgeon. I am looking forward to discuss my case with him.

Hip Redux

Sorry to hear you're joining us, Jeffrey!  If you have any questions, this is a pretty knowledgeable group so ask away Smile

Lora - that's awesome.  I am so jealous. lol

I walked a half mile today.  No groin pain at all.  WOOT.

At PT though they wanted to test my piriformis because I'm getting some weird nerve pain and OMG hitting the edge of the range of motion was really painful.    He tried to see if I could do this:

Um, no.

KathyL

Mandy, so sorry to hear about your crash. Glad you and your new bike are ok.  As a bike person I've got to ask, what bike did you get? Can't wait till I can ride again! I have two weekends left until surgery. Trying to fit in as much as I can. Still yard work left to do and flowers to plant. Would love to to take the dog to the dog beach since I don''t think "crutching" on sand will be very successfulSmile I am a teacher and my VERY FIRST day of summer is my surgery. I will be so glad to get it behind me without taking time off work, but what a bummer way to spend a summer!

Hip Redux

Well that's one way to start summer vacation!  Sad  The good thing is you won't have to stress about missing work.

Heading out to walk a mile.  Wish me luck! I have found a gravel "track" that goes around one of the ball fields/soccer fields down the road a bit that should be flat.  It's a 1/3 of a mile, so I can bail out early if I am not feeling well.    Sort of stinks to have to drive 3 miles to go walk 1 but it is what it is. lol

dallison

registered pw

I was bad today, really bad....................................................

i ran 1.5 miles..........................

My wife was hosting a 5k and at the end i was helping to fetch the direction signs around the course.  I was jogging before then b/c we were setting things up and we work at a furious pace.

i ran about a mile at a slow pace. looking for the signs. nothing hurt, nothing. My hip area barely let me know that i wasn't supposed to do anything yet, but it was almost nothing at all.

I won't play with fire though, the water treadmill is next.

2017 goals:

sub 1:30 half 

CatherineS

Hi all, I just stumbled upon this forum over the weekend. I am 20 days post-op for FAI/labral tear. My recovery had been going great. My pain was minimal and the surgeon was impressed by my ROM at my 2 week post-op visit. But then yesterday I was sitting on the floor (I know, bad idea in hindsight but that's where I do my rehab exercises), and when I went to get up I externally rotated my hip (accidentally) and heard a crack. Now I've had increased pain ever since. I called the surgeon's office and am going in this afternoon to get re-evaluated. Now I'm worried that I somehow messed up the labrum again. Has anyone experienced anything similar? I know it's unlikely I did serious damage but I can't stop worrying about it.

Hip Redux

I had some cracking and popping with pain and my PT said it was likely the joint capsule and some scar tissue breaking up.  It eventually went away on its own.  Of course, I have no idea if that's what you had but certainly in the realm of possibilities, so it might not be anything to be too worried about!   You'll have to let us know what they say.