Torn Hip Labrum - advice, recovery and experiences (Read 1147 times)

CatherineS

It makes me feel a little better to hear that. I know I'm probably worried for nothing, but the fact that my surgeon's office wants me to come right in did nothing to calm my nerves! I had been in almost no pain previously so I think that's a big reason why I'm so worked up.

Hip Redux

I'm sure they just want to be sure everything is ok and are being cautious. But yeah, I'd be pretty freaked out as well.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I was bad today, really bad....................................................

i ran 1.5 miles..........................

I told you you would run before me!    Dude!  Be good!  I hope your water treadmill goes well.

KathyL - I wound up buying a 2013 Salsa Colossal 2.  It's got a steel frame with a carbon fork and it's so smoooooth to ride.  I love it!  If you're a cyclist, you'll be back before you know it.  I was riding outside at 7 weeks post-op.  It's not an ideal way to spend a summer, but at least you'll have plenty of time off work, right?

Running is dumb.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

So I am officially 14 weeks post op now.  I walked into PT yesterday and one of the first things she asked me was, "So, have you run yet?"  "Uhhhhh, noooooooo."  She thinks that I am close to ready, but she wants me to do a few more weeks of agility drills to give my body more impact type stuff.  I did tell her I wanted to be conservative, so I am sure she is taking that route.

Biking continues to go well.  I rode to work Friday and today and that's been great.  I put in 113 bike miles last week -- can't complain about that!  My ROM at PT was slightly better than before.  Knee to the chest is going better as well as my internal rotation, but I can tell that it's still pretty tight in there.  Overall, I am mostly feeling totally normal.  Very rarely do I get any pain with movements anymore and I can finally get into the car normally again.  I am pretty happy with how everything has turned out so far.  I just need to run now...

Running is dumb.

Hip Redux

Catherine - what did they say?

I was warming up on the bike at PT today and had a huge snap-crackle-pop sensation in the hip along with immediate pain - more than any other time I'd had popping!   PT was not really concerned - she said it was just some scar tissue breaking up.  It stopped hurting after a few minutes, as well.   Such a weird feeling.

She's going to try me on the elliptical on Thursday, so that's exciting.  Big grin   And I am cleared to do a little more biking indoors so long as everything still feels ok.

I got through all the exercises ok but my legs were basically quivering mush after.

Mandy - 100 miles in a week is nothing to sneeze at!

adamturgy

wow.... so that what this sound meant... i had that crack pop thing too once or twice lately...

does anyones else still have some issues in rotation, external mainly....??

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

wow.... so that what this sound meant... i had that crack pop thing too once or twice lately...

does anyones else still have some issues in rotation, external mainly....??

How far along post-op are you?  And by external, do you mean rotating your foot in toward your chest, or out?  I am still having tightness rotating my foot outward (which is actually internal rotation.)  External rotation (putting my foot on my knee, for example) has been pretty easy for me.

Running is dumb.

CatherineS

The doctor said the crack I heard was most likely the tendon snapping. He said I probably am dealing with tendonitis in the hip flexor, adductor, and glute. Also that my muscles are extremely tight, which is to be expected since I'm still on crutches. I've always had really tight muscles to begin with. Some of it could be scar tissue popping like you were saying Oski. I was relieved to hear that the doctor isn't too worried and that the tendonitis/muscle tightness should subside eventually with more PT. I am however in a lot of pain whereas I had minimal pain before. So that really bums me out. I'm still early in my recovery (~3 weeks post-op) but still am so frustrated!

dallison

registered pw

That was 9 weeks post op. I ran a mile again tonight with our youngest 4 legger. I was running an 11 min mile and had no desire to go faster. I could feel it on the top part of my quad while i was running/lurching whatever you call it.

Afterwards i walked .7 with the other mutts and mowed the lawn for 45 minutes an i don't have any pain..

I might be able to get away with doing a mile or two a week on the road and doing the water treadmill to get some endurance.

Congrats on 113 miles last week. Do you normally ride a road bike or is this the first time?

I was looking to possibly get one, but didn't know if i'd get a lot of use out of it.

I told you you would run before me!    Dude!  Be good!  I hope your water treadmill goes well.

2017 goals:

sub 1:30 half 

Hip Redux

From what I understand, the labrum isn't fully healed until close to the 3 month mark.  So it's not so much that you shouldn't run because it will hurt, but that it puts too much stress on the not-fully-healed structure.  It will likely feel fine until it doesn't anymore!

KurtN

Good Morning everyone!

Just saw this forum and have enjoyed hearing everyone's thoughts and stories. I'm 25 and underwent labral repair/FAI fix/microfracture on my right hip last November. I'm finally just starting to get back into training with cycling and swimming (for aquabike races, with running still out of the picture for the moment). Has anyone else experienced extensive tightness in hip flexors, and just general discomfort with stretching and walking (not with biking/swimming action) that far out from surgery? Any tips on how to mitigate, or should I be worried about more things going on? Still getting a bit of popping and snapping.

Hip Redux

Kurt - you're probably the furthest out of anyone that's been active in this thread!  Though from what I hear, hip flexor issues can be pretty long term sometimes.    Have you checked back in with your PT at all to see what they think?

KurtN

That jives with a lot of what I've heard. I've checked in with the PT a few times and they'll do some manual manipulation with the psoas. It feels good initially, but never for long. Foam rolling has helped a little but not much.

So Oski, are you completely off crutches yet? Isn't it glorious?

Hip Redux

That jives with a lot of what I've heard. I've checked in with the PT a few times and they'll do some manual manipulation with the psoas. It feels good initially, but never for long. Foam rolling has helped a little but not much.

So Oski, are you completely off crutches yet? Isn't it glorious?

Yes!  No crutches!  It's awesome. Big grin

The psoas is a mean little muscle.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Kurt - you're probably the furthest out of anyone that's been active in this thread!  Though from what I hear, hip flexor issues can be pretty long term sometimes.    Have you checked back in with your PT at all to see what they think?

Yep, you're definitely the furthest along so far!  I'm next...I am currently 14 weeks post-op.  Have you thought about seeing a chiro for your angry hip flexors?  Graston and/or ART can be really helpful for that sort of thing.

Running is dumb.