Torn Hip Labrum - advice, recovery and experiences (Read 1147 times)

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

My crutches are adjusted and my toes are painted!  Tomorrow is the day! Surgery scheduled for 7:30. Looking forward to the healing process!

Good luck tomorrow, Kathy!  Report back in alive later, please.

Blah, Oski, I'm sorry.  Don't despair -- you're smart and you'll do what you need to do to wake up those glutes.  Did she say anything regarding how to stop using your hip flexors so much?

I took Bella for a walk tonight.  We passed the high school where I noticed a stray soccer ball left out.  I couldn't resist.  So I kicked the ball around for a while, shot some goals, juggled a little, just goofed around with a little jogging chasing after the ball.  We'll see if I pay for that tomorrow.  My operated hip is not my dominant kicking foot; I didn't try to attempt to kick with that leg.

Running is dumb.

dallison

registered pw

So far so good. I ran 1.2 miles yesterday and 1 today.

Everything felt good up until mile .3, but nothing really hurt, just aching from not running.

Today was a little bit harder, but it wasn't painful. It was just reminding me that i shouldn't push it or go too far. I'm still doing 25-30 minutes of stretching/strengthening twice a day.

I'm going to stay around 1 mile for a while.  Mandy, i think you'll be fine going .5-1 mile. I'm only doing a 10-11 minute mile.

2017 goals:

sub 1:30 half 

Prince of Fatness

GOOD LUCK!!

+1.  Good luck today Kathy.

Not at it at all. 

Hip Redux

Blah, Oski, I'm sorry.  Don't despair -- you're smart and you'll do what you need to do to wake up those glutes.  Did she say anything regarding how to stop using your hip flexors so much?

Just that I need to turn on the glutes to turn off the hip flexors.  My brain hurts from trying to think so much about my ass when doing exercises and walking.  lol

btb1490

Been following along for quite a while, thought I'd chime in finally and wish everyone good luck with their recoveries and with their upcoming surgeries.

I'm almost 6 weeks post op for a labral debridement and repair.  I also had a bump on my femur head, which was the cause of all this nonsense, shaved down.  I guess all things considered, recovery has gone well, although it never goes as fast as you'd like, right?  According to a gait analysis thingy at my PT's office, my gait is back to normal, based on a 10 minute walk at 3.5 mph.  My current activities include walking, 1-4 miles a day with the dog.  Indoor and outdoor biking, I've gone up to 1 hour recently without too much of an issue.  The PT has let me recently do 10 minutes on the elliptical with no resistance.  He's a ball buster, and reads me the riot act every time I see him about doing too much, so I make sure to only do what he says is ok.  I've been swimming and aqua jogging too, and do a fair amount of glute activation/ strengthening work.  Finally, I do a lot of stretching, especially the hip flexors and hamstrings.  I don't have the range of motion yet to let me stretch the glute and piriformis, so for that I get Graston treatments which really help.   As long as I keep within acceptable range of motion parameters, things seem ok.

I think what helped me tremendously was the amount of work I did BEFORE the surgery.  I was religious about strengthening my core and glute area, did a lot of biking and rowing, and yoga for flexibility.

I see my surgeon tomorrow for my 6 week follow up.  I think he'll freak out with all I've been doing.  His protocol had me pretty much doing nothing more than some biking and learning to walk again up to 6 weeks.  But again, everything I've done has been approved by my PT, and if anything hurts, I don't do it.  Hopefully I'm not doing too much.

dallison

registered pw

wow, 6 weeks out and using the water treadmill? that's great.

Like you, i had done strengthening and conditioning, and i think that really helped post surgery. Making sure you don't miss many sessions of this afterwards really helps.

Been following along for quite a while, thought I'd chime in finally and wish everyone good luck with their recoveries and with their upcoming surgeries.

I'm almost 6 weeks post op for a labral debridement and repair.  I also had a bump on my femur head, which was the cause of all this nonsense, shaved down.  I guess all things considered, recovery has gone well, although it never goes as fast as you'd like, right?  According to a gait analysis thingy at my PT's office, my gait is back to normal, based on a 10 minute walk at 3.5 mph.  My current activities include walking, 1-4 miles a day with the dog.  Indoor and outdoor biking, I've gone up to 1 hour recently without too much of an issue.  The PT has let me recently do 10 minutes on the elliptical with no resistance.  He's a ball buster, and reads me the riot act every time I see him about doing too much, so I make sure to only do what he says is ok.  I've been swimming and aqua jogging too, and do a fair amount of glute activation/ strengthening work.  Finally, I do a lot of stretching, especially the hip flexors and hamstrings.  I don't have the range of motion yet to let me stretch the glute and piriformis, so for that I get Graston treatments which really help.   As long as I keep within acceptable range of motion parameters, things seem ok.

I think what helped me tremendously was the amount of work I did BEFORE the surgery.  I was religious about strengthening my core and glute area, did a lot of biking and rowing, and yoga for flexibility.

I see my surgeon tomorrow for my 6 week follow up.  I think he'll freak out with all I've been doing.  His protocol had me pretty much doing nothing more than some biking and learning to walk again up to 6 weeks.  But again, everything I've done has been approved by my PT, and if anything hurts, I don't do it.  Hopefully I'm not doing too much.

2017 goals:

dallison

registered pw

Bella? that's our middle childs'(our three legger) name.

I took Bella for a walk tonight.  We passed the high school where I noticed a stray soccer ball left out.  I couldn't resist.  So I kicked the ball around for a while, shot some goals, juggled a little, just goofed around with a little jogging chasing after the ball.  We'll see if I pay for that tomorrow.  My operated hip is not my dominant kicking foot; I didn't try to attempt to kick with that leg.

2017 goals:

KathyL

Surgery went great! Labral  repair, bone spurs shaved off and some arthritis cleaned out. Pain has been minimal

No need for pain meds. I'm about 12 hours post op and just feel a little tightness and achy. I can move my leg pretty easily and moving around is not bad at all! I'm pretty happy at this pointSmile

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Bella? that's our middle childs'(our three legger) name.

Yes, I have a Bella too!  And I am sure I could run a mile or so at this point, but I'm still waiting for my PT to give me the green light and I'll probably start with a C25K type run/walk program.  Keep us updated on how your running feels!  I keep worrying about the random ache I'll get in my groin every now and again.  It never stays very long though.

btb -- welcome!  You sound like you're healing great!

Running is dumb.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Surgery went great! Labral  repair, bone spurs shaved off and some arthritis cleaned out. Pain has been minimal

No need for pain meds. I'm about 12 hours post op and just feel a little tightness and achy. I can move my leg pretty easily and moving around is not bad at all! I'm pretty happy at this pointSmile

Woo hoo!  Now the real fun begins.  Smile  How many anchors did you get?

Running is dumb.

btb1490

Good to hear!  I too felt the same way after my surgery, but eventually the aches and pains settled in.  Hopefully that won't be the case for you!

btb1490

I keep worrying about the random ache I'll get in my groin every now and again.  It never stays very long though.

btb -- welcome!  You sound like you're healing great!

Thanks for the welcome!  I get those aches too.  Had my 6 week follow up today and asked about it, and was told it should eventually go away.  We'll see.  Got the ok to increase my range of motion, and to start working out on the elliptical.  I own an ElliptiGo, so I'll give that a try this weekend.  I also row, but was told that's off limits for a while, probably until I am at least able to run.

Hip Redux

Thanks for the welcome!  I get those aches too.  Had my 6 week follow up today and asked about it, and was told it should eventually go away.  We'll see.  Got the ok to increase my range of motion, and to start working out on the elliptical.  I own an ElliptiGo, so I'll give that a try this weekend.  I also row, but was told that's off limits for a while, probably until I am at least able to run.

OMG, I totally want an ElliptiGo!!  Jealous.

Hip Redux

Great!

I was feeling pretty good for the first 24 hours and then the nerve block wore off and got a little more sore (nothing super terrible though). So keep those pain meds handy, just in case!

dallison

registered pw

congrats. Are you partial weight bearing?

2017 goals: